Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #671
Derek Weaver

Yeah. I noticed that I did better on a 4 day set up that was set up in that fashion.

Going upper-lower-off-upper-off-lower seems to help. 4 training sessions in 5 days can get shitty quick. Especially if other lifestyle factors are at play.

When I was in college and thought I was stressed, I could get in 3-4 workouts in the weight room, get to the gym for Krav Maga/Muay Thai/BJJ or all 3 and be fine.

Now, I wake up several times per night because of my job, I battle constant stress and I'm lucky to get through 3 workouts in 7 days without an injury or another illness/cold/flu like I've got now.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #672
William McAlpine

I live in Hickory, NC, but I go attend Clemson. I think I will compete because I want to become comfortable in the competition setting. My brother is the powerlifter in the family.
William McAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #673
Derek Simonds

When I am on the 4 day split I go M press, T squat, H bench, S dl just like Derek suggested. That gives me 2 fulls days between squat and dl and 2 between press and bench. It has worked well for me. I also did the 2 day schedule when I was really busy and that was good also.

I have found that I can press and squat no problem in the same day. Probably since I am not pressing enough to really get smoked.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #674
Kevin Perry

yea i'll do that then. I think the most important thing I need to do is work on just eating more meals and getting more sleep and that will probably fix most recovery issues. Today I've only gotten one small meal and im just not starting my second meal. Just busy days.

6/3

Bench: 135 x 5, 160 x 5, 180 x 8, 155 x 10, 8, 135 x 10, 10, 8
DB Row: 75 x 25 each arm
Dips: 35 x 3 x 10
Abs

DB Curl: 30 x 10, 10, 8
Tri Ext: 70 x 15, 15, 15
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #675
Kevin Perry

6/5

Tried Squatting today, just didn't budge.

Was supposed to use 255 for 5's week but just did not feel right on my back, literally felt like breaking down afterwards, was kind of afraid to even warm up with 225 so I know something is just not right. Woke up exhausted today.

I think it all comes down to stress. I'm under an immense amount of it right now between school, work, problems at home, my meps package which went up last week after being cleared by the VA, im in an application process with the police department so I gotta stay out of trouble, there are a few people who are not too thrilled about my police ambitions and i've had to cut some ties as a result, I got a very poor raise at work which can't pay the bills, I got a poor review from management, having some girl problems, taking care of a very sick family member who can't move on their own, lots of other things. It's tough to manage and stay calm about it and that's probably why my performance is so bad the last few weeks in the gym as im not taking it out anywhere and i end up paying in strength for it.

Best thing i've decided to do: take a few days rest and when i feel ready go back into it but reset by 10 or 15 percent.

Sorry if that is the usual ranting i tend to do every so often.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #676
Derek Weaver

Rant on. Stress is a bitch and it's especially high for everyone these days.

I can definitely relate with my current situation. If I were you I would take a few days, deload even further rest of the week. Like, 50% load, possibly reduced reps/sets. Then, when it's time to start legit work sets again, come back around ~10% lower than current. Don't do what I tend to, charge through, don't deal with it and then get hurt or sick. I've regressed in the last 18 months instead of progressed. You're smarter than I am.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #677
Derek Simonds

Totally understandable Kevin. You are the one that has to decide what direction your life is going to go not anyone else. If people are not supporting you they need to be out of your life now!

You need to take care of yourself so you can continue to help in taking care of the sick family member. You know your body and what you can and can't do. Take a little bit and just have some fun or do nothing but for gods sake don't do what the other Derek does and end up damn near dead from pneumonia...

And finally the single best thing I can do is help you out with a song that will pull you through all of this. One of my all time favorites kind of covers everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoM5fLITfk

Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #678
Kevin Perry

ha yea i don't want to pull a Derek W,

i'll do exactly that then. Take time off relax and go back into it slowly. Thanks guys
Old 06-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #679
Derek Weaver

Yeah don't Weaver yourself.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #680
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Yeah don't Weaver yourself.
We have a new adverb!