Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #681
Kevin Perry

Geez I haven't done crap since resting except enjoy a couple days off from work. Went up to Hendersonville and visited a pub with my friend that has the most awesomnesst philly cheese steak I've had in a while and yesterday hit up Brixx late at night for some awesome pizza and beer.

Not gonna do crap for a couple more days but I may have a second job this week that may pay pretty good.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #682
Derek Simonds

Sounds like a perfect stretch of days. Good luck on the second job.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #683
Kevin Perry

Well the job interview could have gone better, oh well.

6/11

Bench Press: 45 x 2 x 8, 95 x 8, 115 x 8, 135 x 5, 155 x 5 easy, just went by feel

3 Rnds
- 400 m run
- 95# Hang Cleans, 11
- 6 Ring Dips
15:30

It was actually longer than this but I had to scale it down. Really wiped me, I need to really start working conditioning and stop putting it off cause I really really suck at it, doesn't help that I smoke albiet not as much as I used to since I've been cutting back. I want to be well prepared in advance for the academy and WTC in case everything goes through.

So after about a week off, I still have not really eaten a solid 3 meals a day, slept a lot, did a whole lot of nothing other than work. Diet sucked the whole time and Im leaner than before and still sitting around 165.

Next cycle will be a 10% deload on the lifts and im gonna try and work in some short metcons or hill sprints to get the conditioning in.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #684
Kevin Perry

6/14

Press: 95 x 5, 110 x 5, 125 x 10
Chins: Bw x 10, 8

400 m run
Bench 30 reps (135#)
Inverted Row 30 reps
400 m run
Bench 20 reps (115#)
Inverted Row 20 reps
400 m run
Bench 10 reps (95#)
Inverted Row 10 reps

The strength work felt ok, I was bummed I had no access to a weight belt. The metcon sucked mostly because it was over 100 outside and I got sick from some food i ate earlier and made the thing miserable. I didn't feel better till a couple hours afterwards. The rows and bench were pretty easy but the run just made me feel sick.

Probably do something with kettlebells tomorrow for conditioning after deads.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #685
Kevin Perry

posting my setup for rest of summer, feel free to critique. Straight out of the book.

Day 1:
- Press
- Chins
- Dips
- Hill Sprints

Day 2
- Deadlift
- F. Squat
- Abs
- Short Metcon? <10 min

Day 3
- Bench
- DB Bench press
- DB Rows
- Hill Sprints

Day 4
- Squat
- Good Mornings
- Abs
- Short Metcon? < 10

Deloaded all lifts 10%, so this cycle is based on:
- Press 145
- Bench 185
- Deadlift 335
- Squat 260

I would like to rebuild my technique and strength in the o-lifts and I'm looking into adding clean and jerks on deadlift day and snatch on squat day for 8 - 10 singles kept relatively light and gradually worked up to a fairly heavy single. I did this when I was able to train at Byrnes and it worked out ok. But i'll hold off if it may present issues.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #686
Kevin Perry

6/15

Clean & Jerk: 95 x 1, 1, 115 x 1, 1, 1, 135 x 1, 1, 1, 145 x 1, 1
Deadlift: 220 x 5, 250 x 5, 285 x 5

grip was really bothering me on deads, just hurt like a mother, though C&J surprisingly went well and felt light overall. Opted out of F. Squats and a metcon cause of time.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #687
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
6/15

Clean & Jerk: 95 x 1, 1, 115 x 1, 1, 1, 135 x 1, 1, 1, 145 x 1, 1
Deadlift: 220 x 5, 250 x 5, 285 x 5

grip was really bothering me on deads, just hurt like a mother, though C&J surprisingly went well and felt light overall. Opted out of F. Squats and a metcon cause of time.
Were you using a hook grip on the deads or was the knurling just a little too gnarly?

My hands are mildly arthritic and if I'm pulling in the cold it'll hurt quite a bit. Anything like that?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #688
Kevin Perry

No hook grip on the deads, for me the biggest pain area is where the calluses develop especially if I haven't done anything heavy for a while. I think another factor might have been the heat and humidity outside and in the building sucked. Just felt really raw if that makes sense.

I do get the same thing in the cold though.

Also looks like the work from yesterday and the jerks jacked up my shoulder again. Hurts like hell. Fuck
Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #689
Kevin Perry

So im a bit (a lot actually) pissed about my shoulder. I was at work last night and it was bugging me a little then I pick up something to refill a machine and it hurt like hell trying to lift it overhead. And pushing down on something hurt like hell.

Doesn't hurt as bad today but if it does not clear up tomorrow or within a few days I need to make a trip to the doc again.

Pisses me off, this is what I get for doing a "little" CF with a group of people, the volume was too much on top of getting sick from food monday and wanting to pass out in the 100+ degree heat. Shitty start to the week I should have known better.

I did think on something though:

About conditioning, has anyone had better results getting conditioned faster through a simple but intense running program, intervals and sprints rather then doing any metcons or crossfit work?

This seems to be my experience but everytime I attempt to do a metcon or crossfit workout I simply get sick real early into it and can't make progress in the same way that I could if I was pre conditioned with sprints, intervals or running.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #690
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
So im a bit (a lot actually) pissed about my shoulder. I was at work last night and it was bugging me a little then I pick up something to refill a machine and it hurt like hell trying to lift it overhead. And pushing down on something hurt like hell.

Doesn't hurt as bad today but if it does not clear up tomorrow or within a few days I need to make a trip to the doc again.

Pisses me off, this is what I get for doing a "little" CF with a group of people, the volume was too much on top of getting sick from food monday and wanting to pass out in the 100+ degree heat. Shitty start to the week I should have known better.

I did think on something though:

About conditioning, has anyone had better results getting conditioned faster through a simple but intense running program, intervals and sprints rather then doing any metcons or crossfit work?

This seems to be my experience but everytime I attempt to do a metcon or crossfit workout I simply get sick real early into it and can't make progress in the same way that I could if I was pre conditioned with sprints, intervals or running.
Bummer about the shoulder. Hope it settles down soon with no trip to the Dr.

Re: conditioning. Yes. When I played basketball, and later rugby we would simply run. Whether it be a mile run test (utterly stupid for basketball players), tempo runs etc. Conditioning came fast.

I just realized a year or two ago that all the off season conditioning stuff we did on the track for rugby was tempo running. Very few all out sprints, but tons a decent volume of varying intensity.

Here's some stuff from Lyle:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/index.php?s=intervals
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html

It also seems that once people get away from Crossfit and then go back, they end up ground to dust rather quickly. Conditioning circuits are fine, but doing 300 squats, 200 push ups and 100 kipping pull ups on top of two, 1-mile runs ("Murph") is rough.

I'm curious to see what may be the difference in a returning CF'er opposed to a still not worn out CF'er when it comes to hormones. Thinking Test, Thyroid, Cortisol for the most part.

Sorry to hijack there.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote