Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #71
Kevin Perry

1/23 WOD

Oly Practice was canceled today so I switched things around. I went heavy on squats today so I may end up resting the rest of the week as far as squats are concerned and focus more on working the snatch and clean and jerk on friday.

Warm-up:

KB Swings: 3 x 12 with 30lbs
Cleans: 3 x 5 using 65 first set, 85 second set, 95 third set
Snatch Balance 2 x 5 ( 45 1st set, 65 2nd set)
Snatch: 2 x 5 ( 65, 85)

Workout:

Squats:
135 x 5 x 2
155 x 5 x 1
185 x 3 x 1
205 x 2 x 1
230 x 5 x 3

Press:
65 x 5 x 2
75 x 5 x 1
85 x 3 x 1
95 x 2 x 1

120 x 5 x 1
120 x 3 x 1

Basically my press is coming to a stall so I will continue to watch that. I felt too tired to move onto RDL's and pullups so i'll focus on those later.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #72
Kevin Perry

Quick Update:

Was going to hop onto the CAWOD today but I spent more time working on some other things so I'll probably jump on it tomorrow. I think I gained what I wanted out of SS and built a solid base of strength to work with but If I keep up with SS then I won't be able to focus as much time on Oly lifting as I'd like and thats obviously where I want to focus on as well as work on some skills stuff that I never got to last year on Crossfit, mainly some gymnastics skills such as handstands, L-sits, planchs, and ring work.

Also have been thinking of registering for a NSCA-CPT pretty soon as there will be an exam held here in a few months...
Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #73
Kevin Perry

Ok....

Just got over the flu a few days ago. Been spending the past few of those days doing some static holds and have progressed my overhead pushups up onto a wall.

Anyways, todays workout was hard and it was only a squat for the strength portion besides the ring work.

45 x 5 x 2
95 x 5 x 1
135 x 5 x 1

185 x 5 x 3

Ring dips 2 x 8 all I could do

Ring pullups 3 x 10

Ring pushups 3 x 10

60 second tuck planche on rings ( took me 3 sets at 20 sec each)

I feel like I lost all of my strength. I was squating 230 just a couple weeks ago with no problem then I got sick and it really killed everything I worked on. 185 just felt too heavy today. It may be just my diet and rest hasn't caught up lately but I have lost weight.

I figured my strength gains would take a hit from being sick but I didn't think it would be that much. So it's a bit depressing. Anyways, im still working on a program to better integrate some gymnastics work with oly lifting.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Kevin Perry
This message has been deleted by Kevin Perry.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #74
Kevin Perry

Just for the hell of it, I tested my 1RM on the Squat today.

Hit 260 right at parallel.... felt really good. And keep in mind my long term goal is a 300 squat.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #75
Kevin Perry

Ok so some change in plans...

I found today as the perfect opportunity to test my strength in some areas which I did. And today I had a conversation about lifting with my coach and areas I need to improve on... namly the power clean. I've been wanting to jump back into CF for some time and then the nice little 12 week program I created but I came to the agreement with the coach that I need to add some more pounds and continue focus on building more strength. For now that has to take priority. Long story short, last cycle of SS for 6-8 weeks plus 1 gallon of milk per day aong with 3 - 4 meals a day of whatever because getting food in is hard with my busy schedule (try to keep it basic fruits, meat, veggies).

Goals:
Stronger Power Clean ( not listing a number because I struggle here)
300 Squat
350 Deadlift
Increase numbers on Overhead press and bench ( OH Press is at 135/ Bench at 155)

Yea so some of the goals would not be considered "realistic" but on a program like SS where numbers continually increase it's difficult to find a number that could end up being a warm-up or 5rm.

Anyways, thats the focus for the next 6-8 weeks. I won't post each time but I have several notebooks of all my workouts for the past year and those have become an intregal part of my training.

Can't waitto hit up CF with the new strength once this final cycle is done.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #76
Kevin Perry

Thought I would update this.

Thursday 4-24

Modified "Angie"

for time: 50 pullups, 50 pushups, 50 situps, 50 squats

took me 10:53 to complete.

Fri: 4/25

Warm up: Hit clean + Jerk Balance + SN Balance 3 x 3

Squat:

45 x 5 x 2
95 x 5 x 1
115 x 3 x 1
135 x 2 x 1
155 x 5 x 3

Deadlift:

95 x 5 x 1
115 x 5 x 1
135 x 3 x
175 x 5 x 1

L-sit: worked up to 60s

Pullups: 15, 15, 9

I've been very very busy with school, work, doctor appointments to the point were I have been missing all my strength workouts and it shows. 155 was damn hard to do and this comming from a 260 1RM. So im just reworking into it slowly. Medications have been taking some time to get used to and make m very sleepy and weak feeling but the doctor said it takes time to get used to the meds.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #77
Kevin Perry

*Update*

Im about to make another go at SS one final time to see if I can milk anymore gains from the program. Im also gonna throw in ring strength training with 2 or 3 exercises after each SS session. My goals are to gain the last 10 pounds and hit 150. Im standing at 139 rights now from doing CF and ME the past few weeks but im getting bored of CF and just want to focus on strength, rings, and getting better at the Oly lifts. I have a long list of goals written down which pretty much mimic what I have on my blog. Anyways, im starting on Friday to keep up with a M,W,F approach. I'll keep this thread updated along with my blog.

http://kevperryszone.blogspot.com/ w/f/s

MY biggest problem when it comes to training is sticking with a program that works and normally I may get bored in 3 or 4 weeks when nothing works. But at least with SS I see gains.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #78
Kevin Perry

Well here I am sitting at 150lbs now. I reached my goal sooner than expected mainly from eating tons of food and exercising little. My new goals are more general fitness related now as im mixing MEBB into CF and im looking for some recreational activities to get involved with. I think im just more interested in general health and longevity and being active.

As a note, i've been on medications from my doctor for a condition I won't list and the doctor noted that it has caused some side affects i.e. weight gain. I actually gained 17 pounds in a month from the meds. So I stopped taking them and now I have to go into for blood sugar analysis to check for Diabetes. Hopefully it comes out clear because diabetes would really hamper my long term goal of reenlisting into the Marine Corps Reserves...

Anyways, back to logging my workouts.

modified todays WOD

CFWU

ME work:

Press: 75 x 5 x 3
Deadlift: 145 x 5 x 3

WOD: 5 rnds of 40kg Squat Cleans 5 reps and 8 ring dips

MY goal for the ME is to slowly rebuild my strength up while building a very solid conditioning base.

Looking for some recreational activities to get involved with to such as Kayaking or Mountain biking... something that gets me outdoors.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #79
Kevin Perry

Warmed-up with:

Pullups 2 x 10
L-Pullups 1 x 10
L-Hold x 30 seconds
Planch only held it for 10
Ring Dips 2 x 10
Ring Pushups 2 x 10
KB Swings 2 x 12

WOD: 5 rnds for time:
12 burpees
12 Pullups

took me 12 minutes and it kicked my ass. Going back to metcon sure sucks at first.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #80
Kevin Perry

Walked a mile then ran a mile today for class. Some stuff on heart rate calculating.

Was going to do sprints today but im too tired. Been eating good and getting rest.