Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #801
Derek Simonds

Your squat and dl numbers are solid at your current weight nice job. Gald you are back on track.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #802
Kevin Perry

Thanks man

10/26

Bench: 120 x 5, 140 x 5, 155 x 10, 135 x 10, 8, 8
Kroc Rows: 75# x 27 (R), 20 (L)
DB Press: 40 x 12, 12, 10
Pulldowns: 135 x 10, 120 x 9, 110 x 8

arms

you know for a while I was considering doing something completely different because in the past year I've pretty much maintained the same size and build though I've gotten stronger, and while that's all well and good it's annoying to constantly focus on the same program and get no real physique development out of it.

Plus my body seems to want to stick around 160 and I've spent so much time on gaining mass that i neglected really cleaning up the fat i gained so now I got that midsection fat all over and it's annoying. I've gone from 120 - 170ish settling in at 160 since I started here.

I'm trying to set up my assistance on 531 like a bodybuilder i guess but since I've never trained like one I'm not sure how to go about it but I have a couple ideas.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #803
Derek Weaver

Check these out:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/cat...ng-muscle-gain

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-programs.html :
Quote:
3. My generic bulking program is stock in the middle because I’m a middle of the road kind of guy. I generically like to see a bodypart hit about 2X/week with slightly lowered intensity (relative to DC) although higher than Bryan’s HST. I recommend about a rep short of failure so that the volume (which is higher per workout than either DC or HST) can be accomplished. I’m trying to strike a volume between the issues of frequency (for gene expression and protein synthesis), recovery (failure training can burn people out) and progression (I want to see the poundages going up consistently over the cycle).
I think Lyle's understanding of the principles of nutrition is greater than his understanding of strength and muscle gain, but the article I quoted from is solid.

5/3/1 set up should be good. Set up your split based on the foundational movements in the program. Reps for said movement + assistance as a manageable intensity to get into the 40-60 contractions/workout that I've seen him advocate in the past. If you feel worn down, 40 reps total. Feel good, get after it w/ ~60.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #804
Samuel Hughes

I'm about your size (5'8", 155-160lbs) and at least in the same league strength-wise. My $.02 is to A) pick a diet and stick with it. Only change something if after 4 weeks you aren't headed in the right direction and B) do 1 lift 5/3/1 style and 4-5 assistance exercises in appropriately organized supersets with as little rest as possible. On "Off days" do 10-20 minutes of strongman type work or sprints with good intensity followed by ab work (if you are worried about your midsection). Hope this wasn't overzealous, but this template definitely keeps me lean and strong.

Here's an old Waterbury article I found which is in the same line of thought:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...terbury_method

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #805
Kevin Perry

Thanks guys,

Derek, I think i'll do just that. I have it set up where I basically hit the body parts twice per week but I've always done generally less then 40 reps so bumping that up to between 40-60 will be the plan then with minimal rest between sets and that should be enough to get the hypertrophy going.

Samuel,

I've added about 4-5 exercises for assistance so thats covered. I don't think I would do sprints since I don't want to wear myself down since I'm back to IF and a clean diet but I would likely add in slow steady state cardio for 20-30 min a couple times a week. I have been wanting to add in one day a week of strongman training focusing on keg throws, carries, farmers walks and such but it will probably be a while before I do that.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #806
Kevin Perry

10/28

18 hour fast today

Deadlift: 235 x 5, 275 x 5, 310 x 8, 225 x 10, 10, 205 x 10, 185 x 12
Leg Press: 90 x 15, 110 x 15, 130 x 15, 120 x 15
walking Lunge: 50 x 5 x 10
Ab wheel: 3 x 15
Calfs

Surprisingly I can eat more after a fast then I can if I do a standard 3 meals a day. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that I usually get sick in the mornings from breakfast and I'm not able to eat enough after that, that's probably why I always found it so hard to get 1lbs of meat in a day.

The past several workouts I've done fasted but with 12g of BCAA's pre-workout and post workout I take either a shake or a small meal before downing the big meal. I'm feeling good overall. Have lost some size though but I think it will come back when my body adapts to this.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #807
Kevin Perry

10/29

Press: 90 x 5, 105 x 5, 120 x 8
Pullups: 50 total
Incline Bench: can't remember
Cable Row: 4 x 12
Dips: 60 total

I don't have my log with me so the above is just a guess. Probably be doing some more tweaking of my chosen exercises for assistance, I don't feel shit for the incline bench unless it's with dumbbells so barbell will prob go, I seem to get more recruitment out of dips then any other chest exercise, and I have no idea why I never bothered with the cable row before, it's actually pretty intense.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #808
Kevin Perry

11/1

Switched the order around

Bench: 130 x 3, 150 x 3, 165 x 7, 135 x 8, 8, 8
DB Incline: 40 x 10, 10, 35 x 10, 10, 10
T-Bar Rows: 90 x 8, 8, 110 x 8, 10, 115 x 10, 10

Arms

I settled for fewer exercises and more volume today. Felt good although tougher. For the T-bar I used that close-grip handle since it's off the floor and the T-bar handle itself shortens the range of motion compared to the close grip handle which uses more ROM and I seem to get more work out of it.

I obviously lost some strength on upper body lifts but i'm working on recomposition right now and really cleaning up the midsection and lower back. Daily fasting for 16-18 hours and setting protein to 1-1.5g/lbs and filling up on fruits and veggies
Old 11-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #809
Kevin Perry

11/2

Squat: 205 x 3, 230 x 3, 260 x 6, 185 x 8, 165 x 8
GM's: 95 x 5 x 10
Ab wheel: 3 x 20

Squats were tough today. Bodyweight is at 157 now so yea i've lost some weight and size.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #810
Kevin Perry

11/3

40 min of conditioning

Just running and walking. Alternated both every other song on the ipod.