Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 07-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
Steve Shafley

Default Jesse Marunde: Dead at 27

Jesse Marunde was a guy whom I corresponded with quite a bit back in the early 00s. Great guy, we actually swapped some gear (wrist wraps, knee sleeves, and a belt) at one time. He was one of the better American strongmen, and regularly went to the WSM contests.

He apparently passed away last night. Actually, this was confirmed by his mom over at the Marunde-Muscle forum.

I've heard from a massive coronary during a workout. This was from the NASS forum "The Anvil"

For those who don't know him, Jesse was the first teen to close the #3, and was initially trained by JV Askem.

He was a big man, but lean, and he was in good physical condition due to his strongman training sessions, which tended to be very demanding. He also ate well, mostly grass-fed beef.

He left a wife, and 2-3 children behind.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Wow only 27, I can't imagine how his wife and kids are.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Rick Deckart
Banned

I remember him from the old JV Askem site. My condolence to his family and may he rest in peace. It is always sad when somebody dies that young...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Robb Wolf

When I lived in Seattle I got to train with JV a couple times before he died due to a brain tumor...never got to meet Jesse in person but emailed a few times, always a good guy.

Serious bummer. it would be interesting to know if it was a vascular issue or an electrical issue of the heart.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Cassidy Drake

I met him in Japan, at a military strongman comp. Went up to him, said "Hi what's up I post on your forum sometimes" went back and sat down with my ex-wife and had some baskin Robins Anyways, we got up to leave, and he came over and said thanks so much for our support of him etc, and we shot the shit for at least 30-45 minutes more.

I know I come off as an ass at times, and in all honesty I don't have many TRUE friends. But I tell you what. Jesse was by far and large the most genuine NICE guy I have ever met.

It's a sad day for a lot of people.
Cassidy Drake is offline   Reply With Quote