Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Neal Winkler

Quote:
If you can do a road trip to someone who has an established CF facility (or something similar) that will really help a lot.
John Seiler, Catherine Imes, myself, and two other guys that havn't posted on this board went and seen how Rut ran his operation. 50 or so clients, low overhead, can't beat that...
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #12
Brian Shanks

And sometimes a little luck helps.

I am not certified in anything at the moment, but I fell into a situation that is a dream come true. I have been designated as our Strength and conditioning coach for our new MMA team. We are in the process of moving into a new building and am really excited. I don't make any money-don't really care-but I do get free BJJ and MMA training and get to help our guys get ready for their fights.

I helped one of our guys drop 25 lbs and at 215 he was a conditioned machine. Wore his foe out after the first round and won in the second due to strikes from the mounted position. Of course, he was a very highly motivated individual and was a perfect athlete to work with. But you had to see him at the track. A 240 lb 5'10" guy running sprints. It was beautiful.

Cheers

Bri
Brian Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #13
Stephen Cooper

Default Work with the end in mind

Hey Kevin,
I've been a trainer for about 13 years, so here's my 2 cents.

Start with then end in mind. What are you hoping to accomplish? How much do you want to make? Who do you want to train? What hours and how many hours do you want to work? Group classes/one on one? Do you want to work for someone else, or for yourself?

Get the certification out of the way. You'll need this to get started, but the real learning comes from your passion and continual learning from sites like Per. Menu, and your time with clients, workshops, and experience.

I know for myself that the business and marketing has been the biggest challenge. It's one thing to get great results for your clients, but if they aren't spreading the word and you aren't filling your pipeline with new clients, you're going to have a hard time paying your bills. I've found that my clients who have successful businesses are very willing to help with business and marketing ideas.

One book that you may want to check out is "The E-Myth" by Michael Gerber.

Just as your performance and physique results came through calculated practice and implementation, so will your business.

When you get it right, this can be a great profession.

Go for it,
Coop
Stephen Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
Steve Liberati

Coach Glassman has a very good article in this month's CrossFit journal titled, "on being a trainer." Definately worth checking out.

Not much else to add other than 3 P's of Personal Training: 1.) passion 2.) personality and 3.) purple-ness

Passion - not much to say about this one other than if you don't love what you do your chances of success of very much lower.

Personality - this is perhaps the most overlooked skill a personal trainer can possess. When I worked out at Gold's Gym while in college, I cringed everytime I watched one of their miserable, doopey, muscle-bound trainers give a 60 min session with that look on their face like "I'm just too cool, tough and big for this job" as they walk between machines flexing their muscles in the mirror. Whatever you do, don't be one of these guys. Instead show you care, be personable, and get to know your clients on a personal level. If you have a good personality, love what you do and deliver results the marketing will take care of itself.

Purple-ness - This is a term coined by marketing guru Seth Godin describing
Cows, which after you've seen them for a while, are boring. They may be well-bred cows, Six Sigma cows, cows lit by a beautiful light, but they are still boring. A Purple Cow, though: Now, that would really stand out. The essence of the Purple Cow -- the reason it would shine among a crowd of perfectly competent, even undeniably excellent cows -- is that it would be remarkable. Something remarkable is worth talking about, worth paying attention to. Boring stuff quickly becomes invisible.

This goes along the same lines of what Mike suggested about finding a niche. Narrow down your speciality into a smaller market (say sports performance) and be as bold as possible. In other words, don't settle for the ordinary.

When you pour your heart into something you love doing, things will fall into place. Do it!
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

The 2 wisest things I ever heard....were from an old article by Alywn Cosgrove....he said:

1) The Fat loss market is reaching $1 Billion in revenue....if you are a personal trainer and not focusing on it you are a f***'ing idiot....

2) If you want to make alot of money in this industry you need to do 2 things:
a) Charge alot (dont try and be cheap on your rates)
b) Be a prick (dont try and be people's friends, get them results)

all soooooo true......
Old 08-03-2007, 11:51 PM   #16
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
The 2 wisest things I ever heard....were from an old article by Alywn Cosgrove....he said:

1) The Fat loss market is reaching $1 Billion in revenue....if you are a personal trainer and not focusing on it you are a f***'ing idiot....

2) If you want to make alot of money in this industry you need to do 2 things:
a) Charge alot (dont try and be cheap on your rates)
b) Be a prick (dont try and be people's friends, get them results)

all soooooo true......
I like those quotes.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:49 AM   #17
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Perry View Post
I like those quotes.
Sift through Alwyn Cosgrove's Blog there is a ton of information there.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:56 AM   #18
Santos Reyes

My advice would be if you want to be a trainer you need to train people. Certs and knowledge do you no good if you cant communicate properly to your client(s). For this reason I would say not to discount the experience of training out of a commercial gym chain (especially if this is all that is in you town). I will give you a few examples of why I think this is:

1. If you have a true passion for training people the quality training you provide will be evident to all...members, clients and especially other "big box" trainers. At my gym the trainers have started trying to teach kb moves, bb cleans etc. Their failure to teach such movements properly makes it clear to the client and everyone else that not all trainers are equal.

2. If you do a good job at #1 you could very quickly built a small army of devoted clients that will follow you anywhere...even a garage gym or a park!

3. Commercial gyms care only about money! If your clients are happy and stay around the gym will be happy, period. I have used rings,bumper plates, kb's, D-balls, med balls. I was even told by a "higher up" that I could have people, "hang from the rafters as long as you make your clients happy." Point being you can train quality movements anywhere, even a large commercial gym!

4. Lastly, the big box gym will challenge you in the area of articulation in regards to you own training philosophy. For example, people will ask you why you teach a kip rather than a pull-up or why you cheat on you shoulder press' .

Anyway, just some thoughts, hope this makes sense.
Santos Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #19
R. Alan Hester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Perry View Post
Well once im finished with some things out here I plan on making regular trips up to a Crossfit affiliate in NC and spending some time down there. I may actually be able to get help from another fitness facility out here which was tinkering with the idea of a Cf certification and affiliation but it would'nt be for some time. Thanks for all the replies, I'll be sure to constantly bug the crap out of you guys with questions.
Kevin,

Which gym are you referring to above? I live in Greenville, SC but have not heard of such a place. That may be because I am a hermit and workout in my garage.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #20
Kevin Perry

Well there are no CF affiliates out here in Greenville or the entire state for that matter but I know people who may try to affiliate in the future. Focused Fitness off Washington street is looking to affiliate. They are also an MAA training center. In NC there are actually 3 or 4 affiliates and 3 or 4 in Georgia. Crossfit Charlotte and Crossfit Atlanta are the two I have spoken too a couple times, but it's impossible to make it out there when you gotta work friday nights and sunday nights.

But im a hermit as well right now. Only train out of the garage. Actually dumped CF for a few months.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote