Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 08-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Break-fast timing and workout timing

This has been kinda bugging me the last few days. Should the time that you choose to do your workout effect the time at which you break your fast (for those following Fast-5 type protocols)? Ie, if one worked out at 5 AM, would they want to break their fast earlier than someone who worked out at say noon, or 2 PM? Or could they all eat at the same time?
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Would depend on:
1) Your goals (fat loss, muscle gain..)
2) Your type of workout (metcon, strength, glycolitic..)
3) Your Diet (ketogenic/high fat, cycling low and high carb days, eating anything you want...)

As if you did some sort of metcon in the AM and then fasted...you would essentially be boinked for the whole day....but if you did some heavier lifting you will be ok till you eat. Also depending on how much glycogen you take in a day should dictate your workouts and goals. Everyone is different...you have to play around and come up with a system that works for you.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Would depend on:
1) Your goals (fat loss, muscle gain..)
2) Your type of workout (metcon, strength, glycolitic..)
3) Your Diet (ketogenic/high fat, cycling low and high carb days, eating anything you want...)

As if you did some sort of metcon in the AM and then fasted...you would essentially be boinked for the whole day....but if you did some heavier lifting you will be ok till you eat. Also depending on how much glycogen you take in a day should dictate your workouts and goals. Everyone is different...you have to play around and come up with a system that works for you.
MOD nailed it although when I think "boinked" it is far different than "bonked"...

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Brandon Enos

1. My primary goal is fat loss.

2. Right now I'm following a slightly modified "Starting Strength" routine. Either in September or October (I'll see how I feel at the start of Sept.) I want to switch to the ME Black Box variany; x-fit, whole body lift, x-fit, lower body lift, x-fit, upper body lift, rest.

3. My diet is mostly a paleo/fast-5. However my diet window changes sometimes (5 one day, 6 the next, maybe 3 on another day) and is very rarely the whole 5 hours, usually closer to 3. Also, my paleo part fails occasionaly. For example, yesterday I ate 1/2 pound of turkey and a fruit salad for lunch. For dinner, I had two apples and a piece of chicken breast mixxed up with a few eggs. Also, I had a small bowl of tortia chips at work since my partner had to eat them in front of me...
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
William Hunter

I'd think I would be quite tired if I got boinked for the whole day.

Brandon, I've been playing around with my wo timing recently as well in conjuntion with an IF protocol, where I usu begin eating around 4 or 5pm. I much prefer training in the PM, right before I chow down. I've done some pure strength work in the AM and been able to maintain decent energy throughout the day. I don't have the balls to try a metcon or sprint workout in the AM, then try to last all day w/o food. However, I may be forced to adapt b/c work is crazy now and I'm not getting home in time to both train and hang with the fam. As much as I detest them, I think I'm headed back to AM training.
William Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
MOD nailed it although when I think "boinked" it is far different than "bonked"...
Damn strippers.....messing with my head.....
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
Troy Archie

Has anyone done a hour-plus Oly lifting session while fasting? Comments?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
Eva Claire Synkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
Has anyone done a hour-plus Oly lifting session while fasting? Comments?
yes, several times. some go better than others. but the only reason ive been able to lift any weight at all is because of iced americanos. before and during.

brandon- if your goal is fat loss, ideally maintain the fast for a few hours after your workout. as others said, it'll be tough after an AM metcon, in which you might have to lengthen your feeding window that day (e.g., 8 hrs instead of 3). ive done AM metcons, and be able to hold the fast for another 4-6 hours (workout 6-7 AM, break the fast ~noon). again, ive relied on caffeine and ACV in water during the fast. some days, continuing the fast post-metcon is just not possible! but you don't have to fast EVERY day either!
Eva Claire Synkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 AM   #9
Scott Kustes

I would think being boinked for a whole day would be a good thing. Probably wouldn't get much accomplished, but you'd have a smile on your face.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Claire Synkowski View Post
yes, several times. some go better than others. but the only reason ive been able to lift any weight at all is because of iced americanos. before and during.
I second the season pass to starbucks or cariboo! I have a americano/coffee with some half and half....the little fat helps to curb cravings and the caffeine fuels the workouts....if you want to do serious metcons/sprint training then I would suggest doing it PM with some sort of quick glycogen (small) replenishment post workout whether in a drink or meal (keep the sugars low though...esp if you are looking for fat loss). In my opinion IF is ideal for strength and slow and easy cardio AM (walking, hiking, etc...not running) if you want to maintain/gain muscle and lose the fat....anything else that is more glycolitic in training do PM with pwo glycogen replenishment. Metcons are great conditioning but if you want to lose fat as your number one goal and use IF, focus on what works the best without leaving you bonked so you can boink the rest of the day.