Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
chris hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny John View Post

If you don't mind, I would like to mull over this question for a few days...
Can't wait for this answer,
chris hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
Matthew Ricker

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I contacted Dan Carney from CrossFit Missoula. I'm going down there this weekend to check the place out and have my first session. I'm committed to going down there once a month or more. I can't make it every weekend, but a few times a month is doable.

I'm excited, but nervous at the same time. Excited to have someone knowledgeable to teach me; and nervous....well, just because.

I'm going to take the advice here, and focus on learning the lifts, and follow the SS workout to build a strength base until roughly halfway between novice and intermediate strength level. The only thing I'm going to add is basic metcon like sprints, and some dedicated flexibility programming on the side, so I don't end up stiff, and stay slow.

It's hard to say you're 'in the process' of changing your dietary habits, because you either eat healthy, or you don't, but 'I'm in the process of changing my diet habits.'

I've had to buy so much new food lately, it's almost like putting together a puzzle. I had to get a deep freezer, buy the grass-fed beef and pastured chicken, buy the fish oil, macadamia oil (because I will *not* drink olive oil nor drown food in it), coconut butter/oil, a bunch of cookware (since up until now, I have never cooked anything at home that didn't involve the microwave or stove top + boxed food), and a lot of other things I can't seem to recall.

I'm kind of amazed at how much time (and $) this is taking to get started. It's a good thing that the PM and CF communities are free, and their journals cheap; or I would have said screw this awhile ago. You don't realize how cheap processed food is until you have to feed yourself without using it.

On a (very) good note, I have discovered that I am a great cook! Or perhaps it's just that real food is so much harder to screw up, and has so much more flavor!

I've considered starting a public training log for obvious beneficial reasons. I've also considered starting a public nutrition log, for not so obvious reasons. I think that if others could see, at any time, what/how I'm doing/eating, it adds a real sense of personal accountability, and may lead to better diet/training adherence. Kind of like when people live in a state of disarray, but hurry and clean everything before company arrives.

Thanks for all the advice and help so far. So much is being cleared up daily now.
Matthew Ricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
Rob Harris

http://www.simplefit.org/

http://CrossFit Chattanooga Homepage
Rob Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
Rick Deckart
Banned

Keeping a training log is always a good idea. If it's public you might even get feedback which can come handy. The real value however is that once you make the commitment to stay honest to yourself and log hits AND misses it is arguably the best feedback you can get on your development. And of course nothing beats reading how one once struggled with then limits weights which are now warmups at best...

Just start and expect your training to be a long term project/investment; a little here, a little there, lots of frustration because it seems not going fast enough, but at the end of the year what once was impossible is now difficult but doable, what once was difficult is now easy...

Don't worry if your working out with what seems like baby weights compared to others, guaranteed they were once in a similar position, with few exceptions everybody has to start low. If you follow a sound programming progress is inenvitable I guarantee it.
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
Dave Van Skike

Matt,

I'm a lot older, a bit more weathered by competition but believe me..I've was exactly where you are, about a year to two years ago. Basically ground zero.

here is what worked for me.

Buy all of Rippatoe's books. Listen to Peter, keep a log.

Find a gym with big thick necked lifters and get some competent instruction on the basic barbell lifts. Even if you have to take a roadtrip out to CF affiliate or a University in Spokane, Missoula...do it. Take in a Burgener workshop or some such Olympic lifting if you can.

I held off on any CF expectations other than "playing" it from time to time.

Lift Three to Four days a week, pull, squat, press and do pull-ups.

Set a few concrete strength goals, don't get wrapped up in trying to be a rockstar CF badass....pick high solid strength goals and stay focused on those for at least 6-9 months. Everything after that will be easier.

here's a good start for anybody.

Deadlift 2.5 x BW.
OH Press 1 x BW
Squat 2 x BW

Dominate the basics. With any energy left over play a little sports, ride your bike, run.... whatever. This is basically all I have been doing for the last year. It has been a blast.

This first 6-9 months will be super rewarding.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #16
Matthew Ricker

I went to CF Missoula yesterday. Learned that I can't complete the CF warmup, which was no surprise. Ran through it anyway. A modified CF warmup (OHS w/dowell, the hip extension portion of the DL, pullups (x1), hanging ring body rows, pushups, ab mat situps, and samson stretch, x10 for three rounds) took an hour, with instruction and correction mixed in.

Turns out my squat form sucks bad. Feels very different when I do them now. Feels like my legs/knees are a mile apart. In my haste to complete the SimpleFit routines for time, etc. I have been doing piss poor squats and pushups. I will need to correct that for the future workouts.

I'll be going back to CF Missoula in the second week of Sept. so hopefully I can do a lot better on the warmup by then.
Matthew Ricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #17
Derek Simonds

Matt that is an awesome start. I am glad you were able to get out to the xFit affiliate.

Did you start a log? Keep us posted of your progression. We were all where you are when we started.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
Kevin Perry

Everyone's gotta start somewhere Matt, CF and the PM are the way to get it done.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote