Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 08-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Default Low Carb and IF Transition

I'm looking for some help on transitioning to IF, and this seems to be the best place to go.

This past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I was on a trip, and messed up my diet pretty badly (lots of good foods, but in bad proportions, and far too much grain), so I figure now is a good time to fix it up completely. I've tried to cut back the carb intake these past three days, because from what I gather, ~100g is all you need and too much more can prevent ketosis.

Right now, I'm eating:
- 50 blocks fat (almonds, Brazil nuts, some natural peanut butter, etc.)
- 25 blocks protein (chicken, tuna, beef, salmon, eggs, cottage cheese ~4 times a week, etc.)
- 15 blocks carbs (mostly fruit, some vegetables, no grain, etc.)

I'm 6'1, 178#, and decently lean already.

I've been doing poorly with this reduced carb intake though. I feel a lot more sore, sleepy, and unable to push as hard during workouts. Will this fade in the next few days? And should I switch to IF after I get acclimated to lower carbs, or should I just do it now?

I know I should get my carbohydrates from more vegetables than I do, and maybe that would help... Do you have any suggestions? I'm really not capable of cooking and eating the required volume, and most of the vegetables around the house are high-GI anyway (frozen peas, corn, cooked carrots, etc.).

Thanks for any help you can give.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Robb Wolf

Patrick-
don;t worry too much about getting the carbs from veggies, especially if you are tinkering with intermittent fasting. Fruit, yams etc are great, especially post WO.

Implementation-
Start slow! 12-13 hrs at first, see how you feel...extend it over time (a few weeks) working up to 16 hrs some days. If you feel good and have good performance/body comp keep at it. If not...back off and find a good spot to stay around.

No hard rules, just tinkering!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Alright. I'll start tomorrow with a wide feeding window.

During the school year, I hope to have it down to a few hours in the evening. This will allow me to conveniently eat while doing my homework (as opposed to taking frequent breaks), and prevent me from having to wake up early to eat breakfast/make lunch. Haha!

Any tips on how to explain this to my parents, if they ask?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Stuart Mather

Patrick, I think it's so important to make the IF transition really gradual, much more important than gradual carb reduction. I spent several months getting to even 15 hrs. Nine months later, most days I do 18, and about every third day I'll extend it between 2 and 5 hrs. No hunger issues, great body comp and energy. Low carb/If rocks. But you have to be patient.

Stuart
Stuart Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
Robb Wolf

Explain and describe things as little as possible...it will just scare people!

Robb's Blog
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Well, I was feeling no hunger today when I broke my 14 hour fast at noon. I think I'll try for 15 hours tomorrow (9PM today -> noon tomorrow), and stay there for a while.

I don't know how my performance is doing, because today is a rest day, and I still have yet to do my "active rest" and stretching.

Re: Robb
Sounds like a plan.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

Yeah.... gradual is good.

I did it the wrong/hard way. Jumped right into low carb and IF to the tune of 20 hours sessions a few times per week. Pain.. lots of pain. Almost lost my job and sanity due to mood swings (carb withdrawal?). Called Robb promptly thereafter and explained that this IF business was for psychos and commies. He advised to back off a bit, moderation. Ugh.. I dislike that word, moderation, though it is a good one.

All better now. I'm still an a-hole most of the time, but most of the time is better than all of the time.

On a serious note, my blood pressure medication dose has been halved since starting the lower carb / paleo approach.

Very nice.

Brad
Brad Hirakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Also on the taking it easy thing, ease into your first meal after any long fast. I reminded myself the hard way the other day. Going to a hibachi buffett and pounding down the meat....stomach not happy. I now ease in with some raw fruit or vegetables, get the enzymes going then add in 30-60 min with a larger meal.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
Eric Jones

+1 for that

I had a gorge yesterday after a 16hour fast after my workout. Digestive tract not happy.
Eric Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
Robb Wolf

I think the only way a serious food freak-out is going to go ok is when you have access to a bed and a binky...nap time!

Robb's Blog