Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Matt Cricchio

Default 10 sets of 2 or 5 sets of 5?

A bunch of us over here did the P-Menu Mass Gain program. Among other things we noticed that many people's max consecutive unweighted pull-ups went up. One guy went from 22 consecutive to 43.

This got me thinking. If I wanted to do some weighted pull-ups and dips once a week, upping 10lbs every two weeks, to increase my max consecutive unweighted reps in those movements should I do 10 sets of 2 or 5 sets of 5?

Or should I do something else all together?

I'm doing pyramids, tabatas, and max in 2:00 of pulling movements 4 days a week already. I'd think one time a week of weighted stuff would be effective but not limit recovery.
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Neal Winkler

Strength is best developed in the freshest state possible, so more sets/less reps even when using the same weight. i.e. 245# for 10X2 is better than 245# for 5X4.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Steve Shafley

10x2 with corresponding loads would be the way I would lean towards that.

That's almost entirely devoted to increasing your weighted pull-up 1RM though. Having a huge 1RM in the chin was way more transferable to repetition chins, than the other way around.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cricchio View Post
A bunch of us over here did the P-Menu Mass Gain program. Among other things we noticed that many people's max consecutive unweighted pull-ups went up. One guy went from 22 consecutive to 43.

This got me thinking. If I wanted to do some weighted pull-ups and dips once a week, upping 10lbs every two weeks, to increase my max consecutive unweighted reps in those movements should I do 10 sets of 2 or 5 sets of 5?

Or should I do something else all together?

I'm doing pyramids, tabatas, and max in 2:00 of pulling movements 4 days a week already. I'd think one time a week of weighted stuff would be effective but not limit recovery.
I'd keep the reps between 2-3 as not to limit recovery. For a while I was doing weighted chins/dips 2-3x a week and following Robb's recommendation of 3-5 sets of 2-3 reps in his fighter prep article and I'd vary the rep scheme every time I did them.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
Steve Liberati

or...

you could work on muscle ups and absolutely demolish your pr's for both pullups and dips.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Matt Cricchio

Thanks, guys.

I went with Shaf and did the 2X10.

What kind of rest are we talking here? How would you increase load?

I rested 3-5 minutes between the sets. It took me about an hour to do both pull-ups and dips. I'm only doing these one day a week so I was going to up the poundage by 10 every 2 weeks. Sound about right?
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Last meso (6 weeks) I did:

weighted pullups from 50 -> 55 -> 70 -> 75 -> 85 -> 90 lbs

Made that progress with 4-6 sets of triples on one workout a week. Of course, I was doing other high intensity work on one arm pullup which helped A LOT.

If you were doing just weighted stuff I'd do 3x a week with a DUP type system where you modulate the reps probably 7,5,3 or 6,4,2 for m,w,f. The body seems to work best when you modulate the reps and not keep stuff constant... kinda like how a 2x heavy and 1x light can almost be better than 3 heavy workouts a lot of the time.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cricchio View Post
Thanks, guys.

I went with Shaf and did the 2X10.

What kind of rest are we talking here? How would you increase load?

I rested 3-5 minutes between the sets. It took me about an hour to do both pull-ups and dips. I'm only doing these one day a week so I was going to up the poundage by 10 every 2 weeks. Sound about right?
The way I was doing mine was taking minute rests between each exercise but I was alternating exercises.

one set pullups, rest 1 minute, one set dips, rest....etc

You'd be done in half the time.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
Mark Joseph Limbaga

2x10.

The secret is to imporve performance and to manage your fatigue.
Mark Joseph Limbaga is offline   Reply With Quote