Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
Steve Shafley

Default You all don't know what Hard Work is!

http://www.baye.com/video/outright_hard_work.wmv

Before you download the video, and view it, I want to make a few thing clear.

1. Drew Baye is some kind of borderline HIT-Superslow type of guy. In this video, there's a long goofy monologue where he tells you that you probably don't know how to train hard, and he's going to show you. He's got a personal training studio. If you can make it through that part of the video without either turning the video off in disgust and deleting it, or laughing until you vomit, then you've got even more time-wasting goodness to check out.

2. He shows you what Hard Work is. On machines, using a 5/5 pace. This is humorous all in itself, but he also moans and whines, and pants in a bizarre kind of Lamaze fashion (for those watching who don't have kids). He considers this hard, productive training. Although he's been an amateur bodybuilder in the past, this type of training has apparently had a deleterious effect upon his physique.

For those who don't like videos that are a clear waste of time, I recommend you don't bother watching this. For those who just don't understand this sort of HIT mindset, you might learn a thing about that. For those who just want to snicker at something utterly ridiculous, and feel better about whatever training you do, this could be worth the time.

For the record, I think the HIT of Ken Leistner is, or can be, an effective training protocol. This style of HIT isn't that, in fact, this is probably the worst example of a training video I've ever seen. Except for mine.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Mark Joseph Limbaga

People would always try to say that they are working hard. However, I could never equate working hard with machines
Mark Joseph Limbaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
Jonas Lind

I actually feel better now. Very funny the way he talks for hours before training.
Jonas Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:39 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Steve,

You should invite him over and show him what working hard really is...

That was 8 minutes of him saying...you need a workout partner to workout harder than you do now.

Leg extensions - I've seen people work harder than that... minus the weird shallow breathing he does

leg press - ugh I dislike this legpress even more than the plate loaded ones.

Reverse flyes - um ok so his camera man tells him when he reaches failure???? what??

rows - back to the werid shallow breathing

pec deck flyes - weird shallow breathing

machine press - nice

machine back extension - ugh maybe his camera man should buy him a Dr. Mcgill book for Christmas
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
Sam Lepore

That was great.

I would love to see this cat get in 20 + rounds of "Cindy" or a sub 3 or 4 min "Fran"

Then HE will be the one with a bucket or a pillow as he says.
Sam Lepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Steve Shafley

There is a fundamental disconnect that's occurring here.

Baye states that he prefers to train with dumbbells and barbells, but for ease of training his clients, none of whom seem to have a desire to really make a quick and lasting change, he has all the machines.

Both types of work, machine and isolation, are unnatural to the human animal.

The human body lives and plays in three dimensional space, with little contraints. The most effective training strategies are going to take advantage of that.

The aspect of "hard work" he's mentioning is really only the "hard work" of the particular muscle or movement he's using. It's not like how running is hard work, or doing a shitload of pull ups, or even combinations of movements and exercises.

One thing in common with Crossfit, is the belief that intensity is the chief factor.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

i feel very sad

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post

One thing in common with Crossfit, is the belief that intensity is the chief factor.
You're right. Hang your hat on one interpretation of ultimate fitness and you begin missing huge swaths of adaptation and specificity. I think Louie Simmons is about the closest I've seen: "Everything works. Nothing works forever".

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Russell Greene

Default intensity

It seems rather obvious in words, but it's taken me a long time to learn by painful experience that the right amount of intensity is the amount that allows you to make consistent progress. It doesn't matter that you're working at 110 percent every single day if you're not making progress, or that you take it easy once in a while as long as you are making progress.

By looking at the the outputs (performance measurements) you evaluate the inputs (level of intensity, exercise selection, etc.) What is important is whether you are moving forward or backward, not whether you are punishing yourself adequately on a regular basis.
Russell Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
Scott Kustes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lepore View Post
That was great.

I would love to see this cat get in 20 + rounds of "Cindy" or a sub 3 or 4 min "Fran"

Then HE will be the one with a bucket or a pillow as he says.
I'd like to see him get in 10 rounds of Cindy or a sub 10 minute Fran.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote