Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-31-2007, 07:14 AM   #11
Robb Wolf

Great thread. Keeping an eye on intensity/volume is sooo important. This type of programming start looking like Devany's stuff in a way.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
Steve Shafley

If you keep both short, then what do you think is going to have a bigger impact on overall cortisol levels?

As long as you have high peaks and low valleys, i.e. a bigger contrast, it shouldn't be an issue. High activity followed by rest and general laziness is probably going to result in a less negative impact than two days of moderate activity.

I'm not sure that's what you need to really be worrying about wrt hormonal activities.

I can really get a good strength workout in with 2 exercises. Even if I go moderate volume with that, then it's still done quickly, taking on some kind of hard and fast metcon is like icing on the cake.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #13
Mike ODonnell

Are there any studies to compare GH and cortisol levels on a more strength based routine vs metcon higher intensity? As I grow....ehhh emmm...older....I lean more toward just strength training....I get plenty of metcon with ice hockey and mountain biking....but if I try to throw in more sprints or other metcon, I get wipped and don't recover....but if I stay strength I feel great and then feel so much more energetic during sporting events. I'm guessing it has to do with increased GH release and more recovery times. Just from a health and longevity perspective....plus I know fat loss is all eating, so keeping lean is just fine tuning the diet. (which I did NOT do over the long weekend....and funny how much my joints and old injuries hurt more after a week of going nuts....back to getting it on track...but damn that ice cream cookie sunday was good.....and so wasnt the carb coma it put me in 2 hours later!!)
Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 AM   #14
Steve Shafley

Mike: I'd like you to do an experiment for me.

Get yourself 10 ampules of a testosterone blend, like the infamous Sustenon 250 you can generally find in most underground steroid markets, or even a 10 mL vial of legit testosterone enanthate or cyprionate at 200 mg/mL, and inject either 1 amp or the blend or 1 mL of the straight ester weekly for 10 weeks.

Then come back and tell me how you feel.

10 weeks isn't going to damage your HPTA, and the dosage is just a bit higher than replacement.

I really suspect androgen deficiencies and aromatization is a bigger issue than GH, though GH deficiencies are certainly going to impact recovery.

This is a slippery path. I warn you in advance.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #15
Steve Shafley

On that note, this thread is apparently dead.

Don't fear the needle, O'Donnell. Everyone is doing it!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:00 AM   #16
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post

Don't fear the needle, O'Donnell. Everyone is doing it!
Technically I'm not even over 40....so I am just trespassing in this thread. My T levels are probably not where they need to be.....but I am not looking to really get that much more muscle and I perform well at my given sports of choice....so I am happy for now.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #17
Allen Yeh

Quote:

I really suspect androgen deficiencies and aromatization is a bigger issue than GH, though GH deficiencies are certainly going to impact recovery.

What would you suggest (that is perfectly legal) in this arena? T-boosting supps? Estrogen supressing supps? Lifestyle changes?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #18
Steve Shafley

I think for the most, lifestyle changes and dabbling in non-scheduled anti-aromatases might be the first thing to try.

The stuff like tribulus, etc, always makes me hornier than normal, but I don't know if that cooresponds with a higher T level or not.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #19
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Estrogen supressing supps?
Just reminds me of Ori's latest marketing spin.....all anti-estrogenic. Which I believe he said cut out all plastics (which is a good idea) esp drinking water containers and stay away from pork and bacon.

That might be the 20% genious amoungst his 80% insanity.

As for lifestyle I just know that is out of whack for me right now....so I guess time to sit down, clear the head, know what I need to do right and take it into action. Never did like the whole Beer suppressed T levels thing.....totally goes against the Irish Longevity idea....all in moderation I guess.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #20
John Seiler

Quote:
Not yet, Steve. I decided to try the 8-day, one on/one off split. I'll report back.
John Seiler is offline   Reply With Quote