Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 09-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Default Plastic, estrogen, and tender nipples

Ok, so last night I bought one of those gallon bottles of "purified" water from my local convenient. When i got out of the store I opened the bottle and took a big chug. To my surprise the water tasted like 100% chemicals! A bit annoyed, I walk back into the store and kindly tell the clerk, who said i could just grab a new one for free. I grab up the new one and walked back to my buddies house. When I got there I took another huge chug, but more cautiously (I was thirsty as hell). Same thing, strong chemical taste. I thought it was in my head, so I asked my buddy to take a sip and he nearly spit the water all over me. At that point I probably drank about 1/3 of a gallon of water of this crap, but just tossed the remaining 2/3. Anyway, about 15 mins later I suddenly got a pretty intense headache and a bit of a grumpy mood. Went home and went to sleep in hopes of sleeping it off. I woke up this morning and my right nipple is very tender, swollen, and painful to touch. Now here's my logic behind why this happened: toxic plastics cause the body to secrete excessive levels of estrogen , and if I remember correctly, excessive estrogen can cause painful tender nipples? I don't know, but that's the last time I'll be drinking water out of a plastic bottle. Those bottles were probably sitting out in the sun all day before being loaded into the freezer, causing abnormally high levels of plastic to be leached into the water. Anybody else have a bad expereince with plastics?
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

Where are you supposed to get your water from, then? Not all of us have a spring out back.

What kind of plastic was your water in? See if you can find spring water in a plastic bottle and if it tastes the same. Purified water is basically tap water. What I hate is the "Spring Water (with added minerals for taste)". All the added minerals are chlorides.

I've been doing 1 gallon bottles of spring water (in #2 HDPE) from the store for a while now. 5 gallon jugs are made of polycarbonate, so that is out. The only other option is tap water, which I can taste the chlorine in.

Which is worse, plastics or chlorine? Most of the stuff out there seems to indicate #2 HDPE is safe, so I feel comfortable using that.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/whi...-are-safe.html
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Greg,

A couple of things. Plastics contain xenoestrogens ("foreign", exogenous) that can cause extremely estrogenic effects in humans (and animals).

If you are going to drink "purified" water out of plastic bottles, you might as well drink tap water, because that's basically what it is (minus the chemicals from the bottle).

I'm close to buying an undersink water filter for my house, in order to avoid the plastics issue. The environmental medicine teacher at my school recommended those from Aquasana--although one can spend a lot more $$ than their relatively simple filter. I do already have their shower filters and I like those so far. An undersink filter would avoid both the plastics and chlorine issue--the only thing to re-add to the water would be some minerals (ie. making herbal tea out of it).

Want to learn more about all sorts of toxins? Go to
http://www.ewg.org/sites/humantoxome/
and especially check out phthalates. Go to
http://www.scorecard.org
to check out the documented "toxicity" of where you live.

Lots more on phthalates here:
http://www.ehponline.org/topic/phthlat.html

I do urine testing for solvents (including phthalates) and toxic heavy metals, if anyone is interested. I do treat it as well and/or recommend someone in your area. PM me if you are interested.

Greg, for the time being, eat a lot of lightly steamed cruciferous veggies and get some resveratrol or grape seed extract. Maybe consider going to a steam room or sauna to really sweat. Avoid those particular types of water bottles for good. You got a serious dose of toxic stuff. If you have any other anti-estrogenic or pro-liver health supplements or foods around, take more than usual. If this doesn't go away soon, contact me, we'll need to take some more aggressive actions.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Ok, sounds good. Thanks. I just did I pretty strenuous workout so that covers the sweat issue. I'm probably going to go with tap water from now on. Also, I usually don't drink out of plastic containers, I only did so because it was all that was available and the tap water from my buddy's house tastes like rust. When home I use tap water but run it through a Brita filter. Are there any down-sides to using a water filter? Anyway, I'll check those links out tomorrow when I have some down time. Thanks for your help.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
Eric Jones

SIGG water bottles for the win!

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/Search...FRUHWAodFjpNxA

My parents just installed an under-sink reverse osmosis system. The water does
at least taste much better.
Eric Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Derek Simonds

I will have to post a picture of my parents under sink filtration system. My dad is a mechanical engineer and the system they had started leaking. He took it apart and re-engineered the entire thing. There are now 2 RO systems in series after a charcoal filtration system. They are on a well here in FL so they definitely need it.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

I find the best tasting waters are spring waters Deer Park in the clear container and when I have the cash Fiji water.....distilled and purified always tastes like crap to me.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Yael Grauer

I recommend Multipure filters because they are NSF certified to reduce the highest number of contaminants of any filter on the market.

Actually I wrote a whole article about water which you can read here: http://www.dirttime.org/2007/06/27/water-is-life/ and it describes the problems with reverse osmosis and various filters, as well as providing links for sites that help you research the contaminants in your own water.

If you must drink bottled water, Fiji is the best.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

I suggest not doing distilled without adding some natural source of minerals to it before drinking it.

If you want to exacerbate mineral deficiencies, drink distilled water.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
Elliot Royce

I'm no heavy duty environmentalist but it's a little hard to justify draining the aquifer in a remote Pacific island which is impoverished to fill plastic bottles and fly them thousands of miles using up fuel and destroying the ozone layer so we can drink cleaner water. Get a water filter and go with tap!
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote