Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 10-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #21
Scott Kustes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Young View Post
Whats ppm stand for?
Parts per million

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:20 AM   #22
John Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Isn't that always the case? I recall one of my friends was bragging that he'd never puked on a birthday before....boy did he learn differently that night.
that's funny...i had a friend who once made an almost identical statement (i think his drunken, third-person, response to our question of if he was oaky or not was "Todd don't puke"). man, the back seat of my other friends mitsubishi colt hatchback was never the same after Todd redecorated it.

oh yeah, flu shots...never got one. my company is offering them as part of a "Heatlh & Wellness Fair" we're having, I'm going to pass.
John Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #23
TomFurman

My wife and I get a flu shot every year and a pneumonia shot every 5. I don't get the flu. Immunizations work. Apparently many of you did not have relatives who had polio. I'll take American medicine any day of the week. I live in SoFlo and the illegals come here with diseases we eliminated in the 50's. I really don't want to hear the nonsense about Vaccines causing Autism. I'm 50 and when I was young it was simply classified as 'retarded'. Now they redefine parameters and presto,...more autistic kids. Maybe we can blame their yuppy parents who have kids in their forties after sucking up a bucket of blow in their twenties.

Skipping immunizations (polio, etc) is like third world medicine. Yes, I will rattle bones over your child while he dies from a disease that Jonah Salk cured years ago.
TomFurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:26 AM   #24
Scott Kustes

I don't get the flu and I don't get a flu shot. Oh, never had a pneumonia shot either and never had pneumonia. Polio and the flu...not really apples to apples there.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #25
Mike ODonnell

I once heard of a guy that was bitten by rattlesnakes over 12 times....little by little his body built up an immunity and sure enough, he can get bit now and doesnt even flinch.

Getting flu shots is telling your immune system "hey take the year off....you don't need to learn how to fight off anything....go play Halo 3...". Sure enough whoaaaaa flu strains that are now immune to flu shots and a large population of people who now can die if they catch the flu.

Unless you are 75 and no immune system....skip the shot, go get sick once in a while and help your body become stronger.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #26
Jared Buffie

Tom,

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

Polio rates were on the decline long before the vaccine was introduced. As were rates for all other major diseases in North america:

As for the Autism....

Watch the video and tell me mercury in Thimersol doesn't cause brain damage:

http://commons.ucalgary.ca/mercury/

As for the flu shot, there are 3 out of 100+ strains of the virus in there. Last study performed by the CDC places effectiveness at preventing the flu at 0-14%. You say you havn't got the flu because you have gotten the flu shot? Then explain why I haven't gotten it with NO flu shot.
Jared Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #27
Garrett Smith

Excellent post, Jared.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #28
Brad Hirakawa

I finally had some free time to hop on the forum again. Loads of great advice here as usual.

I'll risk the troll ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll ) label and mention there are data suggesting some vaccinations had marked positive results. Alas, I was educated at a state school and skipped class often (cute girls) so I can’t recall exactly.

I work with nasty live viruses at the lab sometimes, so the risk-benefit decision was a little easier for me.

Regarding the flu shot… I hate needles and even if the flu shot worked 100% and was 100% safe, I would still opt for a week long flu over a 5 second injection.

Brad
Brad Hirakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #29
Brad Hirakawa

Okay.. okay... so the cute girls did not necessarily spend time with me, but it took a lot of my time staring at them.

edit below:

Jared,

I thumbed through an old text book this morning, pounded away at google.. had some caffeine...

I noticed your graphs represent death rates. Do you happen to have graphs that represent disease (incidence, prevalence, cases and such) rates? I understand how behaviorial changes, medical treatment (not including vaccines) of symptoms and such can decrease death rates over time, but I am curious as to how they actually affected disease rates. Also, it would be interesting to see graphs that monitor "health complication" rates and not only death rates. I suspect the anti-vaccination folks are interpreting the statistics differently than I am. Not saying my way is right, just different than theirs.

You know... I can manipulate just about any statistic, play with words a bit and end up with a convincing story in either direction for just about any arguement. And again.. just a state school kid, with an embarassing GPA.

Brad

Last edited by Brad Hirakawa : 11-07-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: had some coffee
Brad Hirakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #30
Mike ODonnell

on a related topic, I heard that Jenny McCarthy is now the spokes-person coming out against the CDC for kids with Autism and their vaccines. She blames the vaccines for ruining her kid...but apparently her kid is now getting all better with dietary changes (no gluten, dairy), supplements (bacteria/gut health) and other stuff. She was on Oprah so you know every women now knows about it.....good for her.