Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
Jordan Glasser

Default Nightshade sensitivity question

Is it possible to react from just a little cayenne pepper? I made the paleo mayo this evening and added a little more cayenne accidently. With the meal I also ate a bit of Kimchi, that also has some red peppers in it (It was the last of a 1 liter jar, with no previous reactions when eating it). One hour later my hands are all swollen. Is it possible to be that sensitive to nightshades. I have been avoiding them for about 5 months.

Otherwise, my diet and training has been going extremely well.
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Jordan,
That would be absolutely possible.

The best way to know (if you want to try) is to avoid all nightshades for about a week after all symptoms of this episode have completely relieved, then purposely try a high dose of nightshades (you may want to mix several types, as in a baked potato with salsa on it). Watch for a similar reaction. If it happens, then you'll know.

Greg says the October PMenu will be the appearance of my first article on the nightshades...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
Greg Battaglia

I've never noticed any joint pain or swelling from nightshades. I do however, have a general feeling of malaise after eating any night shades. That's enough for me to stay away.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

I can tolerate low levels of nightshades with no ill effects. I used to eat daily salads with tomatoes and green peppers and I had lots of popping. I dropped those from the salads and all of that went away. I can now eat tomato sauce a few times a week and throw some hot sauce on things without feeling the popping that I used to. I still try to limit it, but sometimes hot sauce just makes the meal (salsa and hot sauce are a must on eggs).

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Anyone mind explaining what a nightshade is exactly?
I've heard mention of them, but I don't see why a pepper wouldn't be Paleo... It is just another vegetable, right?
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
Eva Claire Synkowski

dr. g can give way more info than me, but for a start: NS include: tomatoes, potatoes (excepts sweet potatoes and yams), peppers, and eggplant. they contain alkaloids (think nicotine) and are linked to inflammation (e.g., arthritis).

great link here:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62

i hear Dr. G will have an article in the oct PM that i am looking forward to....
Eva Claire Synkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Another site that discusses nightshades is www.noarthritis.com .

As there are poisonous plants that bear fruit/nuts/seeds, one wouldn't want to eat them just because they fit into a "Paleo" definition.

Nightshades cause chronic inflammation and disease, I just get started into that subject in the October PM. The number of mechanisms by which this happens is quite amazing. I'm finding stuff that no one has even talked about on the two sites mentioned so far.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Jordan,
That would be absolutely possible.

The best way to know (if you want to try) is to avoid all nightshades for about a week after all symptoms of this episode have completely relieved, then purposely try a high dose of nightshades (you may want to mix several types, as in a baked potato with salsa on it). Watch for a similar reaction. If it happens, then you'll know.

Greg says the October PMenu will be the appearance of my first article on the nightshades...
I have been off nightshades for months now, and that was the second type episode of swollen hands. The first was about 2 weeks ago when baking yams and adding a cajun type seasoning. I thought it was from the yams, and didn't think anything of it. This time around, every ingredient was something that I've been eating for months, except cayenne pepper. But, being a spice, I thought it was too little to get a reaction. But, apparently not!
Old 09-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Jordan,
Many people are more sensitive to one type of the nightshades than the others. Sadly, it always seems to be the one that is their favorite.

Peppers are really bad, in more ways than one. I'll probably do a whole article just on them. If you know you're sensitive, stay far away. The short term sacrifice will have long term benefits.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
Jordan Glasser

It's cayenne spice in this case.
It's off to the spice rack to see how many are going for the garbage.
As a bit of a side note, I am in Seattle for the weekend. Last minute cancellation of clients, and with my first day off in over 2 months, I decided to visit my good friends at crossfit Seattle. Setting foot in a trader joe's again was like heaven, and finishing off at PCC, I found every type of food I have been struggling to find in whistler. Grass fed meats, fermented veggies, kombucha tea, all with the dollar at par. I can't wait to give my answer to customs when they ask what I spent: "I purchased about 400$ worth of goods;Cooler full of grass fed meats, cultured veggies, apple cider vinegar, fish oils, ohh...and I bought a pair of socks.

Bought back to the topic of nightshades and Kombucha. From what I understand, this is not a nightshade, not a mushroom? Is this correct?
I did feel fine after drinking it.