Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #21
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Well, women generally have a higher body fat percentage so being extremely lean isn't necessarily a good thing (unless you like to lose your menstrual cycle). Plus, women have lower testosterone levels so muscle growth is slower.

Eh, I personally like at least an athletic look on a woman.. not bulging muscles or anything but CF women/fitness models tend to have something near my ideal.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Heidi Anschultz
This message has been deleted by Heidi Anschultz.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #22
Steven Low
Super Moderator

lol, you're making gross exaggerations. And what differences do exist have to do with childbirthing and difference in hormones.

Logical, craving and rules.. are all arbitrary. I know a lot of guys who are addicted to different stuff or horribly illogical and who don't abide by rules. Those aren't traits that *only* women possess, haha.

Feminine form is definitely more perfect than a mans.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #23
Daniel Myers

This thread is weird.

That's all.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #24
Kalen Meine

I second this thread being a bit peculiar. Heidi, you seem to be hung up on the fact that men and woman are physically distinct for innate, genetic reasons. If this isn't something you haven't yet come to terms with, I'm afraid there's not much anyone around here can do to help you out. In other news, men are often taller and grow beards more easily. Steven might not be quite on the money with the warrior split, given studies of real forager groups, but that's splitting hairs. Men tend to find prototypical female forms attractive- there's hardly anything wrong about it. Most of the morphological differences really boil down to babymaking machinery- increased bodyfat fraction to sustain estrogen levels, lactation, and the like, differing hip structure, and most species of animal exhibit sexual dimorphism- though the direction (male larger vs. female larger) is pretty much a grab bag, and is actually much, much smaller in human beings than any other primate- the human sexes are more similar than those of just about any other animal. Women also happen to have physical primacy in a whole slew of other physical characteristics- thermal tolerance, for example. It's not something to get worked up about- it dictates next to nothing about capabilities (even in athletics, where women's track and field times keep creeping up on men's) and it does describe a sustainable situation encompassing six billion people.

And on the biological front, the lack of "logic" should better be categorized as a neurological emphasis on forming social networks attuned to emotional conditions, just as crucial (if not more) of a survival skill relative to the increased spatial processing speed of male brains- an affect which appears to have been overstated.

As for the perfect bodies...Men have, with the tricky mix of training and genetics of course considered, have the possibility to create the perfect male body- one that, from the aesthetic perspective (and this does seem to be your focus- you might be catching that this board is a bit more oriented towards sports performance and health- not unrelated, of course, but different) indicates health and fertility to potential mates. Woman can create perfect women's bodies- one that indicate health and fertility to potential male mates, or female companions, depending on how homosexuality ends up fitting into the whole map of evolutionary psychology. Neither one is closer to some Platonic idea of perfection than the other- they are separate and complementary.

And to address the whole mess, do your pushups and pullups on a handy tree or playground, climb some rocks, pick up heavy things off the floor, and I promise you will look just fine. You'll also make more rapid progress than you will in trying to spot-treat a variety of spots I suspect look just fine and are suffering more from confirmation bias than a real physical deficiency.
Kalen Meine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:40 AM   #25
Derek Simonds

Kalen, all I have to say is wow. What a great post. I just bookmarked it so I can refer people to it.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Heidi Anschultz
Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #26
Mark Gebhard

Heidi,
Have you looked into evolutionary psychology? I haven't done a lot of reading in it, but I know there are tons of books with different takes on this stuff. One I'm reading right now is The Red Queen by Matt Ridley. It's pretty fascinating stuff that tries to explain from an evolutionary perspective why men and women think and behave the way they do. Obviously gender roles are significantly influenced by society but often there are underlying biological reasons shaping them. It helps to understand that by breaking out of these roles, you're fighting your genes, and while that might be a liberating or self-actualizing goal, it's going to be hard.
Mark Gebhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Heidi Anschultz
Old 10-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #27
Troy Archie

I can tell you right now that most, if not all the guys on here will tell you males are the butt ugly ones and that the female body is a work of art that we go to war, workout, enroll in pointless classes, lose sleep, whine about in drunken stoopers, create empires, and murder for.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #28
chris hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Anschultz View Post
Why must women become ugly so that babies can be born?
This must be one of the most rediculous questions i have ever read.

Quote:
Furthermore, what good is it being female if one doesn't fit in the "categorized roles" of being dependent, submissive, and only looking out for the good of others? What if you're driven, not submissive, and independent?
seriously you need to understand there are a LOAD of dependant, driven women out there who are in control of every aspect of their lives.......also there are numerous couples and partnership where the female is the driven career orientated partner and the male is the home maker. It seems that you have issues with antiquated and incorrect stereotypes.

Quote:
Every single day, while at university, I encounter girls who look down on each other.
I think the key point here is University......these girls will grow up and mature.

Quote:
Most girls/women are butt ugly.
?!?!?!
chris hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #29
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Most of those "94%" of girls who hate their body probably do so illogically just looking at society's standards especially if they're on a college campus.

And if you let yourself go (e.g. get fat) that's just unattractive to everyone concerned for both sexes. Heck, I bet most of obese America hates their bodies... but they're too lazy to do anything to change it.

If you work out and are disiciplined you will almost 100% have a slim low-fat body.. somewhat muscular if you want. You may not have the shape or "look" you want because of genetics, but that's what all of us have to deal with. There's a bunch of physical deficiencies in my body like missing a lower muscle band for one of my pecs, but that's just life and it's unfair.

As for emotions and stuff.. not gonna touch that with a 10 foot pole.

BTW are you a college student?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #30
John Alston

Sounds like someone needs some serious squat therapy.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:31 PM
David Aguasca
This message has been deleted by David Aguasca. Reason: I'm a dumbass.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Heidi Anschultz