Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Troy Archie

Default Strength Gains

I'm 26 y/o, sleep an average 8h a night, eat 100% paleo, IF...
I would consider myself an experienced lifter but with only novice strength. If I trained hard, ate well gaining about .75-1lbs/week, what would be considered a reasonable/realistic amount of strength I could gain per month? 5-10-15lbs on the squat, DL, bench, press...?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Depends what kind of program.

I put on 35 lbs on my weighted pullups in a month (from 55 to 90 lbs of extra weight), and that's not even a *major* compound exercise (like DL or squat or oly lifts). Conceivably with the full body movements like squats and deadlifts you should be able to exceed 50 lbs in a month if you had a very good workout program especially if you're at novice strength levels.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
Leo Soubbotine

What Steven said: Very doable.
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Troy Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Depends what kind of program.
Say a starting strength 5x5 style program...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Mark Gebhard

What are your current lifts at? And, are you willing to sacrifice things like metcon?
Mark Gebhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Troy Archie

I haven't done a metcon in months. I ditched it all for hopes of strength via oly lifting but after 4 months, 5kg bw gain and only 5kg on the squat and negligible increases in other lifts I'm wondering if I'm just spinning my wheels or if I'm expecting too high a gain. Albiet I've always wanted to be strong, I've never gone after it and just it; I've always compromised it by jogging or doing metcons so I really don't know what would be considered resonable and realistic strength gain over a specific length of time. 5kg on my squat over 4 months seems paltry to me; I've made better gains on my squat with Crossfit...

Right now I'm thinking that because of the huge skill component to Oly-lifting, that I'm not going to see much strength gains until that skill level is there...

BW 77kg/170lbs
5'-10 1/2"/180cm

Squat: 115kg/253.5lbs
Front Squat: 105kg/230lbs
Bench: 77.5kg/170lbs
Jerk: 72.5kg/160lbs
Behind the Neck Press: 45kg/100lbs
Deadlifting (way back in may): 150kg/335lbs
Snatch: 40kg - 45kg on a good day
Clean: 65kg - I did 70kg once...
Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
John Alston

Experienced lifter with novice strength you say? That doesn't compute.

Yes, OLY is high skill but the strength comes.
It comes because you need to squat, pull and press all the effing time. At 26, if you're injury free, you should be able to squat 3x a week. You can squat after your skill work. Same with the presses and pulls.
You just can't beat taking weight from the ground overhead as a builder. C&J ain't called the king of exercises for nothin'.

My two oly biased cents.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
Troy Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Experienced lifter with novice strength you say? That doesn't compute.
Well I say that on the basis of years lifting versus strength. I see it as because I've been lifting for years my body has had some adaptation. Whereas someone with less time experience but equal strength as I would make faster gains.
Is there some truth in that or am I out to lunch?

I'm also curious about snatch/clean assistant exercises. At what level should these be added in?
Is it; clean and snatch and fill in the weaknesses and movements via the assistant exercies
Or in reverse:
Learn the clean/snatch via the assistant exercies and put it all together in the complete form?

As a side note, here's my template I've been lifting on for the last 4 months.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/week1-3/1339288510/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/week1-3/1339293400/
Old 09-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

You do have at least an intermediate strength base it looks like.

If you did 3x4, 4x3, or even 2x5 for 5 days a week I'm pretty sure you can put on significant poundages onto your squat. You'd probably have to sacrifice DL to one day a week, but oly lifting can be done 3-5x a week one a schedule like that with a decent level of conditioning. Add in some bench/dips/overhead press/pullups/rows 2-3x a week each and you're golden. (P.S. that's only about 4-5 or so exercises per day which is doable).
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
Yuen Sohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
I'm also curious about snatch/clean assistant exercises. At what level should these be added in?
Is it; clean and snatch and fill in the weaknesses and movements via the assistant exercies
Or in reverse:
Learn the clean/snatch via the assistant exercies and put it all together in the complete form?
From my experience, both (but it may vary with other people). It depends on what assistance exercises you are referring to.

For the snatch, my coach started me off with a lot of the partial movements:
First, an RDL-type movement, but keeping everything above the knees. Then we progressed to that RDL movement coupled with a power snatch/squat snatch from the hang (think "Jump!!!"). Then snatches from just below the knees. Then later on the full lift from the floor. From time-to-time, maybe about after a couple months of completely flopping on the platform, he started prescribing assistance exercises (pulls, shrugs, etc)...but unlike before, these were more for strengthening rather than reenforcing proper positions I think. I should also mention that he had me doing squats, back extensions, abs and pullups from day one (well, at least I was supposed to be doing all those, haha)

You're starting Oly lifting a lot stronger than I started (I think my max front squat was like 135 pounds and my backsquat was nonexistent). And currently, your squat #s are pretty close to mine. Like John said, the snatch and the cleans coupled with squatting will really improve your strength. If your primary goal is increasing your snatch, clean, and jerk numbers, keep in mind that the squats should be viewed as an assistance exercise. If your squat #s are very disproportionate to your clean/snatch #s, then you may want to think about shifting the focus of your training to more repetitions with the actual lifts and assistance exercises to address areas where you might be deficient (e.g., bar trajectory, early arm bend, lack of extension/explosiveness).

Just my 2 cents. I'm actually quite interested in what others may think.

btw, yeah, you may get frustrated often (I certainly did and still do), but that one good lift you hit has a way of making up for all those past misses!

Last edited by Yuen Sohn; 09-28-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: changed 'above' to 'below'
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote