Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 09-27-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
Heidi Anschultz

Default Issues with allergens

Old 09-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Heidi,
Increasing chemical sensitivity is a sign that the liver is having trouble with processing those same chemicals in your body.

It's likely your liver needs some increased nutrition/substrates to process those chemicals.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Anschultz View Post
Also, why do people wear perfume? Rather, why do they wear so much?
Been asking myself that for years......as your body gets more finely tuned your sensitivity to things may increase....kind of like sitting in a sound proof room for a week and then going back into the real world....you never realized how loud everything is but most people have just become deafened to it....so who is better off? You with better hearing and a headache or other people with bad hearing but no headache? Interesting thing to ponder.....

Along the lines of chemicals like perfumes, airfreshners, detergents, dish soaps, scented candles, fabrics, lotions, etc....you never know just how many chemicals a day we are exposed to until you become more sensitive to them....it's the people walking around with load of chemicals and no sensitivity that have to worry....as something more drastic to their health (autoimmune disorders) can come about and be much worse.....
Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Heidi,
An important thing to distinguish here is whether your senses are becoming more heightened to these chemicals or whether you are becoming less tolerant of them.

If your tolerance is slowly (or quickly) becoming less, there is a situation that needs to be dealt with.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Heidi Anschultz
This message has been deleted by Heidi Anschultz.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Mike, you believe it is okay to be having negative reaction to an environmental source and then ignoring it? I think that is unethical, since us sensitive people are the ones aware of how bad it really is. We should do something to fix it..then everyone may benefit.
No I never said it was better....was just making a point of how interesting it is that the more "healthier" we get, the more things affect us in a negative way. Of course just a plain "allergy" is the body's most simplest way of telling us that we need to get away from something or not eat it.....the scarier part is when the body just gets overwhelmed and then the allergies are not there, but it now takes more drastic steps.....and then you are going down the road to heart disease, arthritis, fybromyalgia, autoimmune disorders, and the like.

The less chemicals you are exposed to in your life, the healthier your body will be.....as your body can only detox so many things at one time...and when the rate of cellular destruction by chemicals becomes greater than the body's ability for detoxification and cellular repair...you head down the road to a lifetime of disease and illness.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Now would be a good time to point out that I developed a small rash (I think it is a minor case of eczema) behind my left knee about three weeks into my daily intermittent fasting routine, and it only gets worse if I eat many simple sugars.
NO health can exist with sugar....sugar promotes cancerous cells, bad bacteria growth, inflammation, fat gain, etc.....dump ALL sugar (unless it is from eating some fruit) if you want real health.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Greg Battaglia

Heidi, are you still having trouble with IF in general? It sounds like your immune system is weakened. This might be why:
1. You're implementing IF incorrectly and it is becoming a chronic stressor, rather than an acute one. This will weaken your immune system dramatically. Increase your eating window and increase your intake of fat, and calories in general. Keep in mind school stress + work stress + exercise stress + IF stress = to much stress= weak immune system. In a natural human environment IF would be a tolerable stressor and improve health. In our stress-filled highly digitized world IF and hard exercise sometimes only make stress worse when compounded with our materialistic, money hungry, garbage eating society. Look out for this. Make priorities. I'm in college too, I know how it is.
2. You're not eating enough calories, which goes back to # 1 with the whole chronic stressor deal. Get your calories.
3. You're not eating the right types of foods. IF will NEVER work if food quality is not emphasized. You'll feel like shit at all times and your energy will suck. Go paleo and never look back.
4. You may still be in the process of adapting to IF. I remember when i first started IF 3 years ago it took me several months to adapt to IF. I felt like shit during this time and almost gave up IF altogether. I thought I was doing the right thing by eating grains, and dairy, etc. Once i went high fat paleo my energy sky rocketed and I looked forward to fasting to get that jaw clenching euphoria from fasting. Cut all non-paleo foods from your diet, and jack up the fat intake.
If all else fails, toss the IF, it may be that it just is not for you. I've found through my experience that IF simply amplifies the effects of your food. If you eat really healthy, clean food you'll feel great and be vibrant. If you eat crap, you're health will suck ten times worse than without IF. Just my experience.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Greg may very well be onto something here.

It sounds like your reactions are moving towards chemical sensitivity. You'll want to deal with this early. Later it tends to turn into autoimmune disease or other nasty things.

Is there any family history or your own history of autoimmune disease or excessive exposure to toxic substances? Check out all the zip codes you've lived in at www.scorecard.org to see if major toxic exposures were going on there. There is always a trail or a sign...

Any metal fillings?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Been asking myself that for years......as your body gets more finely tuned your sensitivity to things may increase....kind of like sitting in a sound proof room for a week and then going back into the real world....you never realized how loud everything is but most people have just become deafened to it....so who is better off? You with better hearing and a headache or other people with bad hearing but no headache? Interesting thing to ponder.....

Along the lines of chemicals like perfumes, airfreshners, detergents, dish soaps, scented candles, fabrics, lotions, etc....you never know just how many chemicals a day we are exposed to until you become more sensitive to them....it's the people walking around with load of chemicals and no sensitivity that have to worry....as something more drastic to their health (autoimmune disorders) can come about and be much worse.....
I ditched my normal old spice deodorant the other day for an all natural deodorant. Call me crazy, but I felt instantly better. It's not like I felt bad before, but, it's like my head seemed more "clear".

Quote:
Is it normal to be developing allergies to allergens/having increased sensitivity to things such as perfume, automobile exhaust, all smells in general from detoxing the body with intermittent fasting on a daily basis?

Daily basis IF. doesn't sound like intermittent, nor does your eating protocol match what's happening here for most people gaining the health benefits from IF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post
Heidi, are you still having trouble with IF in general? It sounds like your immune system is weakened. This might be why:

1. You're implementing IF incorrectly and it is becoming a chronic stressor, rather than an acute one. This will weaken your immune system dramatically. Increase your eating window and increase your intake of fat, and calories in general. Keep in mind school stress + work stress + exercise stress + IF stress = to much stress= weak immune system. In a natural human environment IF would be a tolerable stressor and improve health. In our stress-filled highly digitized world IF and hard exercise sometimes only make stress worse when compounded with our materialistic, money hungry, garbage eating society. Look out for this. Make priorities. I'm in college too, I know how it is.
2. You're not eating enough calories, which goes back to # 1 with the whole chronic stressor deal. Get your calories.
3. You're not eating the right types of foods. IF will NEVER work if food quality is not emphasized. You'll feel like shit at all times and your energy will suck. Go paleo and never look back.
4. You may still be in the process of adapting to IF. I remember when i first started IF 3 years ago it took me several months to adapt to IF. I felt like shit during this time and almost gave up IF altogether. I thought I was doing the right thing by eating grains, and dairy, etc. Once i went high fat paleo my energy sky rocketed and I looked forward to fasting to get that jaw clenching euphoria from fasting. Cut all non-paleo foods from your diet, and jack up the fat intake.
If all else fails, toss the IF, it may be that it just is not for you. I've found through my experience that IF simply amplifies the effects of your food. If you eat really healthy, clean food you'll feel great and be vibrant. If you eat crap, you're health will suck ten times worse than without IF. Just my experience.
Greg makes great points here. Great Points!

I've read and followed many of your posts here, and believe me, I have plenty of problems myself. IF can easily become starving yourself, especially if done daily. Most on here are training, and can only sustain minimal calories for so long without big losses in performance. Getting weak, losing muscle, reduced work capacity are all signs of this. All of these factors force us to eat, and eat enough to replenish our lost calories so that we can fast again. Most of us will attest to a day or two of feasting. I just finished a day and a half of eating. I'd list how much food I ate, but this post would be too long if I did. I am sure I consumed 6000-8000 calories in the last 36 hours. Constant fasting, is just that, it's starving the body of what it needs, and that opens the door to many undesired health effects. The chronic stress mentioned above. The basis for all of your diet should be improving one's health. If, the reverse is happening, whatever method your are using, may not be the one for you. Even if it does work for everyone else! With all the methods of eating, IF has definitely been the most challenging to implement. It takes an extremely solid diet before you can limit the amounts of calories you take in. In most cases, the cure can also be the cancer! Taking a step away from IF, solidifying your diet, and then slowly re-introducing may be the safest approach to improved health. Best of luck to you!
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Heidi Anschultz
This message has been deleted by Heidi Anschultz.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:37 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Isn't muscle loss caused from lack of doing resistance exercise, not "starving yourself?"
More resistance training = more muscle breakdown = need for more muscle repair = need for more amino acids = more protein in diet

Muscle loss = muscle breakdown is greater than muscle repair = lacking amino acids = insufficient protein

A diet low in calories, protein/healthy fats and high in carbs and sugars do a great job of helping you lose muscle and gain fat.

Thats all you need to know right there.

Seriously drop the IF for now, it's not working right. Get your regular eating patterns down first making better food choices. If you are still losing muscle without IF then you need to go see a local professional/physician for evaluation. Your health is too important.