Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 10-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
Chris Sullivan

Default Ketogenic diets and physical performance

Quick intro and an interesting article. Used the search and couldn't find this one, so I thought I would pass along the link to a great article about ketogenic diets. If already posted, then hello. If not, hello and enjoy!

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

Found the link in the "Comments on comments" post on DeVany's outstanding website.

I started eating Paleo in April of this year. I enjoy triathlons (sprint) and planned on training for and competing in a few this year. Work schedule and life didn't allow for it. I have been following the WOD's from the Mothership for about a year and haven't missed more than a handful or so. I completed two triathlons in the past two weeks. I posted much better results than last year without any specific training and without the traditional "carbo load". I bested my time in one of the races by over five minutes. I also feel like my recovery was quicker. I ate Robb's excellent Machaca Scramble for my pre-race meals and used olive and coconut oils on my broccoli/vegetables.

Enjoy the article and thank you for the great website!
Chris Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Jane Michel

thanks for pointing out the article chris!
i'm in the beginning-middle stages of re-adapting to fat after about 3 months of moderate-high carbs and it feels terrible but this article is motivation to keep going with it and that my body will adapt and i'll feel better.
Jane Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Chris Sullivan

I have a few friends and coworkers who are trying low carb and/or Paleo diets. Because of great websites like this one, I have plenty of referenced material to have them read. However, most of them quit very quickly because of the drained feeling that makes up the first couple of weeks, especially in the gym. I tried to explain that it took me about a month or so to adjust. I spent a few years eating like a bird because of being diagnosed with high cholesterol. I thought it would be wise to cut all animal products/dietary cholesterol to bring it down. Three or four years of eating pasta, rice and beans, etc. took a little while to shake off. I thought the article tackled the adjustment period quite nicely and will be using it to help ease my well-intended friends down the path to clean eating.
Chris Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Jay Cohen

Default Is there a minimum carb intake

Has anyone experimented with cutting carbs almost completely or say below 5% of daily food intake?

I'm planning on trying a 55-60 Fat intake, 30-35 Protein and Carbs under 10% and if subtracting out the Fiber, Carbs under 5-8%.

Planning on at least 30 days or longer and adding some IF along the way.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

BTW, I just finished Lights Out and starting Gary Taub's new book, hence my question.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Greg Battaglia

Jay, I've done tons of experimenting with keto dieting. Combine keto with If and be prepared to have the most energy you've ever had in your life. Lol, sounds like some sort of gimmicky testimonial, but it's true. Keto mixed with If is the ultimate recipe for insane energy. I used to have so much energy when keto dieting that I HAD to move at all times. I just couldn't stay still. Keep some things in mind though, this will save you a bunch of trouble:

1) Absolutely no grain-fed or pasteurized/homogenized animal fats. Get all your animal fats from grass-fed meat, butter, and cream.

2) Drink boat loads of water, as a keto diet has a diuretic effect. This is the reason I no longer keto diet. I have a condition know as Mitral Valve Prolapse, which in my case is mainly attributed to poor mineral uptake. The diuretic effect of the keto diet drained all of my already minuscule levels of minerals like potassium and magnesium and dramatically amplified my symptoms. Get a high quality magnesium/potassium supplement also.

3) Be willing to accept that your met-con performance is going to drop, although your overall endurance will be greatly improved and you'll also likely see improvements in O-lifts and powerlifts.

4) Get a good chlorophyllin supplement (like Nullo) to eliminate foul body odor. It's true that keto dieting gives you bad breath, and also makes your sweat smell bad, especially when combined with IF.

5) Don't think you can skimp on veggies just because you're going keto. You can eat tons of leafy green and cruciferous veggies while still remaining keto, especially when combined with IF. A good method is to simply remove ALL carbs other than greens and eat tons of them.

6) Unless you're eating organ meats, double your fish oil intake. The marbling in grass-fed meats does contain more Omega-3's, but not as much as you're made out to believe. I would really jack up your fish oil intake.

So that basically leaves you with fatty cuts of grass-fed meat, and other grass-fed fats, some clean plant fats (olive oil, coconut oil, i would watch the nuts though, they have carbs, you should probably eliminate them altogether), and boat loads of green veggies! Hope this helps. Good luck, let us know how it goes. If you need anymore help you can post on here or PM me. Either will do.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Jane Michel

Sounds hardcore Jay. Are you going to keep a journal? I'd be very interested in knowing daily how you feel, what your workouts are like and what you eat. I'd eat the way Greg posted above because I usually feel great on just veggies for carbs, only sleep gets bad for me.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Greg;
Thanks very much for the helpful advice and positive feedback. Only do GF meat, need to increase water, glad to hear that kale and other leaf greens can stay. Are you suggesting no almonds or walnuts?
Will up my Fish Oil, I was around 18-20 total grams per day.

Any other reading material that you can point me to.

Alicia, I have added my Fitday log into my signature, will try to add some coments as to how I feel and what works were done.

For IF, I'm going to try no food from 6:00 PM to noon the following day, feed window from noon-6.

Thanks both for comments, much appreciated.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Nice post, Greg!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Greg Battaglia

Thanks guys, and girls. Jay, definitely swing by the www.lowcarbmuscle.com forum. Plenty of good info from knowledgeable and experienced people over there. Anthony Colpo is pretty responsive to questions on there and he knows his stuff, so you can probably get plenty of good info there. Dr. Eades has good stuff as well. Alicia, you have problems with sleep while going keto? Try drinking more water. Dehydration can negatively affect sleep. Also, magnesium citrate a half hour before bed does a good job of knocking me out. I would tinker around to see what happens.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
Nikki Young

Why does being in ketosis make you smell bad? I know you are a fat burner etc, but i would think having bad breath and body odor wouldn't be a good thing. Just like if people are letting off lots of gas during the day and have a terrible diet making their intestines play up.

I have nothing against ketosis by the way, i'm just interested as to why it makes our body odor terrible.
Nikki Young is offline   Reply With Quote