Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
Steve Liberati

Gotcha Stuart.
Just remarking on all the words in your sentence that fly right over my head like a Boing 747. "Substrate utilization efficiency." Thank god for google.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
Stuart Mather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Gotcha Stuart.
Just remarking on all the words in your sentence that fly right over my head like a Boing 747. "Substrate utilization efficiency." Thank god for google.
I should have just said food. You have to admit though, it sounds way less impressive. I think it's called word wanking.
Stuart Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
Neill Smith

First of all, I really appreciate the thoughtful comments.

My most recent attempt was a gradual ramp, starting at twelve-hour fasts and adding thirty minutes every week. By the end of the first month I had lost ten pounds, and much of it was LBM. Some of the problem is logistical. I have a hard time getting enough food in my eating window on a work day.

It makes sense that an occasional long fast would stress the metabolism more. On the other hand, you could argue that we're both doing IF, but your feeding windows are six hours while mine are three days. I don't know the biochemistry well enough to make an intelligent case on either side. Maybe Robb does.
Neill Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #14
Tyler Weir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill Occhiogrosso View Post
First of all, I really appreciate the thoughtful comments.

My most recent attempt was a gradual ramp, starting at twelve-hour fasts and adding thirty minutes every week. By the end of the first month I had lost ten pounds, and much of it was LBM. Some of the problem is logistical. I have a hard time getting enough food in my eating window on a work day.

It makes sense that an occasional long fast would stress the metabolism more. On the other hand, you could argue that we're both doing IF, but your feeding windows are six hours while mine are three days. I don't know the biochemistry well enough to make an intelligent case on either side. Maybe Robb does.
I think I'm in the same boat as you, I have an unpredictable schedule during the week that makes IF difficult to implement. The weekend is quite routine and this is when I fast. So a question for someone smarter than me is: is doing two days of IF reasonable if I'm looking for positive impact on body fat and performance?

I haven't been doing it long enough to say yes or no.
Tyler Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #15
Mike ODonnell

The great thing about IF...is it is "Intemittent".....18hours one day....12 hours another....20 hours...etc....Variable inputs will always have greater adaption and utilization rates than one set standard approach. In the end....it is what works for your lifestyle as I may do 18 hours weekdays...and completely feed up on weekends with no restrictions....then start 20hours the following Mon and Tues...then ramp into 18-16 hour cycles. Fun stuff. Also adds the element of macronutrient variation such as low carb days/high protein....to low protein and higher carbs on weekends (Beer and pizza!). Yet muscle growth is consistent (no loss) and fat loss is still attainable. Personally I cant and dont want to fast any longer than 20hours....otherwise I will chop off my hand and eat it.

Great discussion btw
Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #16
Tyler Weir

A follow-up question is if I can only fast on the weekends, will it positively impact my performance? Is 2 of 7 days of IF useful?
Tyler Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #17
Nick Tirkalas

This is a great discussion.
I was windering the same thing. I was recently on IF and saw a drop of LBM. I was on the 6 hr feed window. I too gradually went up to it and it still didn't seem to work. I am now intermittantly throwing it in. 1 or 2 days a week for only a 12-14 hr fast. I have the same question's as originally posed. Is 2 days ok and should you do it on rest days or workout days.
Nick Tirkalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #18
Scott Kustes

I guess the true answer to is 2 of 7 useful is....no one knows. This is an ever-evolving experiment amongst all of us. Try it and see how it works.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #19
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papapetrou View Post
This is a great discussion.
I was windering the same thing. I was recently on IF and saw a drop of LBM. I was on the 6 hr feed window. I too gradually went up to it and it still didn't seem to work. I am now intermittantly throwing it in. 1 or 2 days a week for only a 12-14 hr fast. I have the same question's as originally posed. Is 2 days ok and should you do it on rest days or workout days.
Of course the efficiency of an IF protocol is only as good as what it is compared to. Is 2 days better than none? Sure. Is 2 better than 7? Is 18 better than 20? Is 2 days at 24 better than 7 days at 18? Like Scott said....who the hell knows until you try it. Because my daily schedule is completely different from someone else's, (not too mention about insulin resistance, workouts, energy output and recovery needs), there are just too many frigin variables and no real studies to compare all your options....so you have to see and try. Like everything else...the best approach might be a complete daily randomization with no set protocol and it differs every week...that just might be the model for optimal results!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #20
Chris Forbis

Monday: break 23 hour fast.
Tuesday: break 13 hour fast
Wednesday: break 23 hour fast
Thursday: break 13 hour fast
Friday: break 20 hour fast
Saturday: break 12 hour fast
Sunday: break 12 hour fast

This is what I do, roughly. I feel like I gain benefits. I really like the Monday fast, because I tend to eat a little too much junk and drink a little too much alcohol over the weekend. My digestive system needs the break to repair itself. I'm looking to shorten the Wednesday fast to around 18 hours, as I need to add some calories.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote