Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 10-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
Nick Tirkalas

Default Zone Ratio Tinkering

Here's the deal,

I was on the standard 15 block 40-30-30 Zone and it felt good. Hardly any cheats. In fact I can't remember my last cheat. One's due that's for sure.

I'm 5'8" 140lbs right now with about 129LBM. I still have residual stomach fat, no where near lean and cut....no six pack.

I was reading some of Robb Wolf's threads and as per PMJ #17, he says one strategy is to cut the carb blocks in half and add the 3 blocks in fat for every carb block. This should be the same calories. I checked it and it is. I started this on Sat and I was fine all weekend with this...now....

I'm feeling sluggish, some headaches, not up to working out today. Hungry all the time. Should I add a little more fat. I still need to lose the fat and then on the Mass Gain program as per #17 for a max 10 lbm gain, but not until I am down in BF. It might just be today

Any suggestion's would be great.
Thanks
Nick Tirkalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Robert McBee

Increase the fat some more. You might not be feeling great because your system is wondering where the easy fuel carbs went and hasn't adusted to burning fat as well. Stick with it. I"ve read similar reaction from several posts and went thru the same. The first week is rough but you'll feel better than ever after a few days.
Robert McBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

Sounds like your in the transition phase like Robert mentioned. You'll get through it, just stick it out. It gets much easier as you go on.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:00 AM   #4
Mark Joseph Limbaga

Another option would be this:

drop your protein ratio since some people tend to get fat when their protein is a bit high.

and yes, definitely increase fat blocks.

ON another angle, perhaps the fact you have no cheat meal could also mean you are already fatiguing and may near a plateau anytime soon.

I had a friend who couldn't totally lean out when he was eating clean all the time. When he did lean out and drop the weight, he became way too thin and looked like POW. Now that he's eating normal again, he looks much better.
Mark Joseph Limbaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

The comments that Rob and Mark made are on point.

If you have been eating very clean for a while i.e. more than a week. Leptin can be depressed, having a cheat meal(s) can help it "bounce" back.

Everyone nowadays is used to using carbs as an energy source. It takes a few weeks to get fat adapted, and in the beginning you won't feel great.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
Nick Tirkalas

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a few more weeks and see how it goes. This Friday is a unavoidable cheat day with an all day work function, fully catered with alot of bad stuff. Including many free Heineken's.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Mark Joseph Limbaga

Nick,

knock yourself out in the function

Just remember that the secret is everything in moderation
Mark Joseph Limbaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

If you can not drop the fat around the middle....may want to just forget the zone and eat paleo. Carb up on the weekends. Zone has too many insulin spikes all day long with constant carbs...and if your fat issue is linked to insulin sensitivity then you will not help it with spikes all day. Take some fish oil too..it has shown to help lean out the "hard to get off" places.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Nick Tirkalas

Mike,

I think I am currently doing the Zone Paleo. As Robb said in previous posts, he uses the zone as a guide. (Not a direct quote). I am using it to get my calories in check, not necessarily what it recommends to eat. I have dropped 25lbs since Jan, but they have been streaky drops. 5lbs in one week, then holding pattern, then 7 lbs, then a couple of months with nothing. It goes like this. It might be gradual and I just don't notice it.
I don't eat any starches what-so-ever. I am cutting back on the fruit...2 a day and sticking to veg sources for my carbs. I'm not too familiar with the Paleo exactly, just what I probably should not be eating. I'm curious, would this make the difference. And I definitely have to go get some CLO. Tonight to Costco.

Thanks everyone for their input.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papapetrou View Post
I have dropped 25lbs since Jan, but they have been streaky drops. 5lbs in one week, then holding pattern, then 7 lbs, then a couple of months with nothing.
I'd monitor the fat loss weekly....notice trends. Funny thing is...if you go low cal too long...you plateau...but then you cheat on a weekend....and in the next week your metabolism goes back up and the fat loss continues....perhaps that is the case there with the sporadic weight loss? Only way to know is to track it.