Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
Jonathan Owen

Bump

Chris, just wondering if you were still following this routine and how it is working for you?

Jon
Jonathan Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #12
Chris Forbis

I injured my pinkie playing basketball. Pushing through the pain was a bad idea, so it has killed my pulling (deadlifts and pullups) for about the next week.

But otherwise it has been great. My jumping ability has been really awesome, even on days when I'm not feeling on top of things.

Pistols are still a work in progress. The snatch-grip deadlifts are delightfully difficult and really nail my posterior chain. I've moved to ring dips and elevated feet ring pushups for my upper-body pushing; both are going well.

Once I'm able to phase back in my pulling exercises, I may start to finish things off with a little bit of metcon. No more than 10 minutes... some days maybe just a set of Tabata squats.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #13
Jonathan Owen

Nice! Yeah, a messed up finger would def hinder the heavy pulls. I am starting to appreciate the idea of simplicity in my strength training. I am in the same boat with pistols. Sounds like good stuff!

Jon
Jonathan Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
Mike ODonnell

I've got my random routines all planned out...wait...isn't that a contradiction? Ha....this is what I am doing right now

Have a Oly Bar at the house...change the weight every couple days...if it's heavy (no more than 5RM lbs for me), I do 1-2 reps of DL...no planned sets...maybe different grips....if it is light I do sets of maybe 6-10 reps...maybe some RDLs, Maybe some cleans....nothing planned....no warmups...just walk by do a couple lifts...go on with my day.

Other times...all bodyweight stuff. One legged squats, handstand pushups, lunges, pushups, pullups, dips...maybe some days weighted....maybe some days explosive. Keeping a backpack with 25lb plate in the trunk. Maybe I go hike some hills one day...or go sprint around a soccer field another. I also have a strong band for times I want to do other range of motion or other exercises such as curls...cause let's face it, chicks dig the guns!

Keeping all within a set enjoyable intensity. I want to be able to be active everyday...not fatigue muscles and not have them useless for a week. No planned stretching. Doing some dynamic movements like lunges 360deg for flexibility, maybe a couple yoga poses for the hamstrings once in a while. Nothing set in stone.

As far as nutrition...no worries about timing and pwo...unless it is after some longer event like hockey, running, biking. Maybe low carb one week...maybe high carb on the weekends. Maybe 2 days of IF....maybe 5. I go by how I feel and what fits into my schedule for that day.

Biggest key nowadays is my focus on down time, less stress, quality of sleep and improving my recovery ability with nutrition and lifestyle. I have a feeling that will give me the best results I have every seen.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
Chris Forbis

Update: I've been working out on Tu-Th-Sa, but don't sweat it if I miss a day. I have two workouts that I alternate.

Workout 1:
Fixie bike ride 1 mile to gym
Shoot free throws until warm (it's been cold!)
Ring dips and false-grip ring pullups (to progress to muscle-up), 3 sets of 5 on each
5 sets of 3 reps of Power Cleans, heavy
Pistols w/ DB, 3 sets of 10, handstand work between sets
Fixie bike ride 1 mile home

Workout 2:
Fixie bike ride 1 mile to gym
Shoot free throws until warm (it's been cold!)
HSPU and Pullups (ROM focus on both), 3 sets of 5 on each
1 sets of 5 reps of sntach-grip deadlifts, heavy
Pistols w/ DB, 3 sets of 10, handstand work between sets
Fixie bike ride 1 mile home

I'm still working up to 10 reps on the pistols, but I am close and will then start increasing the DB weight. I play basketball a couple of times a week too. I walk to school every day but Friday. Here fairly soon, I will be able to walk/bike every day to school / grocery store / post office.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote