Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
Casey Williams

Default coffee (creamers)

Just curious what everybody uses for creamer in there coffee...milk, half&half....etc? Anybody put alittle coconut milk as a creamer?
Casey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:25 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Williams View Post
Just curious what everybody uses for creamer in there coffee...milk, half&half....etc? Anybody put alittle coconut milk as a creamer?
1/2 / 1/2, now moving to coconut milk
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Scott Kustes

Nothing.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Steve Liberati

depends. somedays nothing, other days creamer or half & half, most of the time coconut milk. Cut back on coffee a lot in favor of espresso shots. Espresso shots need nothing more than a very small drop of slevia.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
depends. somedays nothing, other days creamer or half & half, most of the time coconut milk. Cut back on coffee a lot in favor of espresso shots. Espresso shots need nothing more than a very small drop of slevia.

Steve;
Do you have a Espresso machine, if so, what kind?
Thanks.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:45 AM   #6
Steve Liberati

Krups Caffe Diablo II. Mid-line machine goes for aro $200. Not the best espresso maker, but then again it was a gift so I can't complain. Told my wife I like an X3 for Christmas as seen here: http://www.illyusa.com/AB1666000/web...?WebPage_ID=81.
It's a beauty!
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Default I'm liking the Gaggia Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Krups Caffe Diablo II. Mid-line machine goes for aro $200. Not the best espresso maker, but then again it was a gift so I can't complain. Told my wife I like an X3 for Christmas as seen here: http://www.illyusa.com/AB1666000/web...?WebPage_ID=81.
It's a beauty!
Steve;
If I wasn't spending money like no tomorrow on gear, Oly Certs/workshops and what ever, this would be my next purchase.

W/F/S/Coffee safe

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.gaggia.shtml

The Rancilio is a tad much for budget, but great machine.

Presently I brew via Peculator, Stove Top Espresso maker, Direct to Cup or French Press. I have a local food co op that orders in Organic Fair Trade coffee in 5lb bags at around 32.50 per bag, great deal.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
Troy Archie

I've heard that the Rancilio silvia is one of the best band for buck at home machines but I've never used one. I'm a spoiled barista and have only ever worked with a La Marzocco GB5, Clover and recently a Synesso Cyncra. That said, if you have under $300 to spend on an Espresso machine, save yourself the time and money and buy an Aeropress. Coffees my profession and for $30 you can't go wrong.

If you need to put creamer/whitener in your coffee, you're drinking bad coffee.

If there is no roast date on the coffee you buy or it's past 3 weeks, you're drinking stale coffee. Do yourself a favor and find a local roaster selling only fresh beans and you'll become their bitch forever.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Default My you have a way with words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
I've heard that the Rancilio silvia is one of the best band for buck at home machines but I've never used one. I'm a spoiled barista and have only ever worked with a La Marzocco GB5, Clover and recently a Synesso Cyncra. That said, if you have under $300 to spend on an Espresso machine, save yourself the time and money and buy an Aeropress. Coffees my profession and for $30 you can't go wrong.

If you need to put creamer/whitener in your coffee, you're drinking bad coffee.

If there is no roast date on the coffee you buy or it's past 3 weeks, you're drinking stale coffee. Do yourself a favor and find a local roaster selling only fresh beans and you'll become their bitch forever.
Troy, your comments are spot on and the Aeropress is on my list, thanks for reminding me. You're also right about adding cream to coffee and about shelf life of beans. I knew someone was going to bust me on the 5lb bag qty.

There are a few local roaster in 30 mile area and my bud has has an I-Roast, so he buys green beans and roasts his own.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated and just might save me 400 bucks.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
Troy Archie

Thought I'd also add that if you did buy a decent at home espresso machine you'd need to buy a really good grinder too. You'd actually probably end up spending more on the grinder than the machine.

I've heard it said a couple times that you might as well buy a $100 espresso machine and $1000 grinder...