Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Steve Liberati

"Do yourself a favor and find a local roaster selling only fresh beans and you'll become their bitch forever."

Thats hilarious Troy...classic man!

Jay and Troy-
Not impressed with my current machine at all, and don't have the funds to drop on an expensive espresso machine either. Does the aeropress or stovetop machine give you that nice thick expresso shot anywhere close to what an expensive commerical machine can make? Which one is better b/t the two?

Thanks.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #12
Jay Cohen

Default Stove top expresso maker does have it's limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
"Do yourself a favor and find a local roaster selling only fresh beans and you'll become their bitch forever."

Thats hilarious Troy...classic man!

Jay and Troy-
Not impressed with my current machine at all, and don't have the funds to drop on an expensive espresso machine either. Does the aeropress or stovetop machine give you that nice thick expresso shot anywhere close to what an expensive commerical machine can make? Which one is better b/t the two?

Thanks.
Steve, I think you'll be disappointed in the quality of the shot, as there really isn't one. Boiling water is pushed up from the bottom water container, ends up as hot black strong coffee in upper chamber, no foam, just black strong coffee, which is fine for me, but at some point,I'd like a espresso machine, but Troy is right about the quality of grinder. I have a 100.00 grinder now, which I thought would be OK, but told by many that I should upgrade, so really, I don't feel like dropping 400 on machine and 300 on grinder all for a cup of coffee.
Could by some more gear or fly out an train with Greg and Coach by for a weekend, now that is worth dropping some cash on.

Herer is that basic machine, I have stove top and electric model, both work OK, bu not great.

w/f/s coffee safe

http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/espres...alettimoka.htm
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
Steve Liberati

Thanks Jay!
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Old 11-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #14
Troy Archie

Ditto what Jay said. You won't get the same body but you'll get pretty dam close to the same taste and that's for both a moka pot and aeropress. At where I work we have used the aeropress for quick cupping when toying with our espresso blend just for a general idea of the taste and stacking side by side. I can manage to get a bit of creama with the aeropress sometimes but it's pretty short lived.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #15
Allen Yeh

I use heavy cream.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #16
Leo Soubbotine

My coffee: http://bodybuilding.com/store/sf/caffeine.html

Seven bucks for half a year of supply
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #17
Allison Barns

Troy- I'm curious if you think ANY home machine can match a professional one? I haven't fully explored the what's out there now, but as a former barista myself (in my college days... just a 'few' years ago ;-) and full-blown coffee snob I'd love to find something to get the "real deal" at home. I would think the home machines just can't match the steam pressure that you really need for that perfect espresso.

Everyone else - if you have found that barista that can and will make your order perfect, tip him or her well!! Being a great barista ain't always easy!

Allison
Allison Barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #18
Jay Cohen

Default I tip very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Barns View Post
Troy- I'm curious if you think ANY home machine can match a professional one? I haven't fully explored the what's out there now, but as a former barista myself (in my college days... just a 'few' years ago ;-) and full-blown coffee snob I'd love to find something to get the "real deal" at home. I would think the home machines just can't match the steam pressure that you really need for that perfect espresso.

Everyone else - if you have found that barista that can and will make your order perfect, tip him or her well!! Being a great barista ain't always easy!

Allison
Allison;
Seattle was just listed as most caffeinated city in US, no surprise.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #19
Steve Liberati

Leo,
Caffeine pills are considered cheating! Besides its the taste that makes coffee addicting (unless you're talking about Starbux drinkers..then its for the "coolness" factor ha).

Like Allison, also interesting in finding a home machine that makes a commercial grade espresso. I'm sure Troy will fill us in, so I'll just wait for his reply

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Old 11-08-2007, 05:42 AM   #20
Kim Dowse

I've had this machine for a few years now....

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/co...rbucks_barista

I paid about $200 for it on sale. I use it about 4x weekly. It's easy to use (I had a different one before that would vapor-lock all the time), great crema, easy clean-up.
Kim Dowse is offline   Reply With Quote