Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #41
Chris Lampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
David,

I came back down to the UA. I saw a book cover that was titled, "Do What You Love and the Money Will Follow". Didn't need to read the book, I got everything I needed off the title.
What a great book! It's been a source of inspiration and comfort to me during many periods of career indecision in my life.
Chris Lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 AM   #42
-Ross Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
But you know how heavy the reading load is! It was hard to escape. I am lucky to be able to read on a moving train, however, and my typing speed is ridiculous. I was one of the lucky few. I also had friends in Chicago who'd let me sleep on their floors.

I miss college.
The reading load is almost as heavy for me now; I'm still in school... I do miss certain aspects of college, to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post
Roos, I could walk to Swarthmore College from my house. Also recently discovered that Steve Liberati and I aren't too far from one another. What a small world.
Greg,

is Swarthmore where you're going? What do you think of it? I visited there when I was checking out colleges. I was extremely impressed with the professionalism and ambition of everyone there--everybody was really sure that they were going to make a difference in whatever field they had selected--but it seemed like nobody was interested in stopping and having conversations with each other.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #43
Greg Battaglia

No, I don't go there, it is just close to my house. I go to Neumann College.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #44
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross Hunt View Post
The reading load is almost as heavy for me now; I'm still in school... I do miss certain aspects of college, to be sure.
I just miss primary sources. Everything I read these days it seems is a secondary source.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Heidi Anschultz
This message has been deleted by Heidi Anschultz.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #45
Yael Grauer

As an educator, I really love Bloom's taxonomy. You want to get to the higher level Blooms so you can synthesize and evaluate information instead of just repeating or understanding it. This is higher order thinking that goes beyond learning how to complete a task and completing it but extends to the whys and hows.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #46
Yael Grauer

Oops, I meant this link: http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/bloom.html
Old 11-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #47
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Anschultz View Post
Ross, you make a point that there is a higher purpose for college. And that purpose is to be trained to complete a task that helps society function. When you get trained and then fill this job, you help the society function. I guess it's everybody's job to be busy doing something to help the society. My role could range from cleaning up the pollution put off by greedy corporate-run factories, automobile exhaust, etc. to building bridges/constructing dams/laying out plans for buildings, etc. But the question is not am I able to do this, it is why would I want to do this with my life?

What is the point of cleaning up the mess of society? It doesn't help oneself. It only fixes or reduces a problem I didn't create and will only be remade as corporations become greedier.

I just don't see the point. I also am inspired most by nature. A simple life would be great for me. Maybe it isn't for others, but as long as I get my degree and mature from college, I can do what I want after college. My life can go pretty much anywhere.
Big secret... do something that you can be happy doing. Me, I teach. The job itself is fairly satisfying. I work 45 hour weeks, but take nothing home. I get 3 months off in the summer.

Find what works.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Heidi Anschultz
This message has been deleted by Heidi Anschultz.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #48
Yael Grauer

The reason I mention Bloom's taxonomy is because I think the purpose of education goes beyond learning something so you can perform a task, or repeat a set of ideas, but getting to the point where you can actually synthesize and apply the knowledge towards new things, or actively analyze what you are being taught instead of just regurgitating useless information in a vacuum.

As far as wilderness skills, I really like some of the Wilderness Awareness School offerings. It's far from comprehensive but can be a really good start.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 PM   #49
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
Big secret... do something that you can be happy doing. Me, I teach. The job itself is fairly satisfying. I work 45 hour weeks, but take nothing home. I get 3 months off in the summer.
I'm working 60 to 80 hour weeks (contracted for 37.5) and only get 2 months off in the summer.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:13 AM   #50
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
I'm working 60 to 80 hour weeks (contracted for 37.5) and only get 2 months off in the summer.
You must like teaching more than I do. That sounds close to what my first year was like, actually. Not sure if I would still be doing it if I still had to invest that kind of time.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote