Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
Max Murphy

Thumbs up

Got it! Thanks again!
Max Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Max Murphy
This message has been deleted by Max Murphy. Reason: duplicate post
Old 11-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
Max Murphy

Thumbs up Workout 3

I upped the weight a little but not much

Warm up
3 minutes on row machine

Military press
2x5 @ 95
4x10 @ 105
I huffed and puffed but I got every rep.

Sumo deads
I skipped these today, my knees are little sore and I wanted to focus on squats.

Front Squats
4x5 135
2x10 135 Felt good, I used clean grip which was uncomfortable but it worked. My wrists are going to be sore.

Misc
Camber BB curls
4x10 105 wasn't feeling it on these today
DB pull-overs
55x10
75x10
85x10
100x10 This set felt good, nice stretch.

Diet
Very bad past 2 days. I'm bloated and feel lethargic. I need to work on this area.

"Hard training, easy combat; easy training, hard combat" -Marshal Suvorov

In Ferrum, Veritas
Old 11-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #13
Max Murphy

Default Interesting

I stumbled upon this site.
http://max-stimulation.hypertrophy-research.com/

It's got a downloadable PDF book. It's to the point and easy to understand. I know most of the people here focus more on strength that size but I'm always up for reading science geek stuff.

In Ferrum, Veritas
Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
Max Murphy

Default Thought's

What are everyones thoughts on progression of exercises? I doubt most would send a newbie in and start him off with the snatch, Cleans, and OH squats. Is there a general consensus on what exercises you should start with and then move into as you get some experience?

I've read widely variable information over the past few weeks. Some places say specifically stay away from dead-lifts and military presses while others say both should be staples from day one.

In Ferrum, Veritas
Old 11-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #15
Yuen Sohn

Hey Max,
A belated welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Murphy View Post
I doubt most would send a newbie in and start him off with the snatch, Cleans, and OH squats. Is there a general consensus on what exercises you should start with and then move into as you get some experience?
At the place I train, the coach has anyone who's new to the lifts start off with broomstick overhead squats -- mainly as an assessment of overall flexibility. Later on (maybe the same day or maybe many sessions later) lots of snatching in the following progression: hang position w/ bar above the knees, then hang position w/bar just below the knees, then the full lift from the floor. I don't think they had me do a clean/jerk for the first month I was there! As far as strength building, lots of pulls, squats and presses...I started off front squatting 95lbs as well, except that was my 4 rep max at the time!

I can't stress enough the importance of having an experienced eye critique your lifts early on. I learned to power clean and jerk on my own, and it took me an awful long time to get rid of bad habits (early arm bend, bar positioning, etc). Are there any Oly lifting clubs around where you live? If not, maybe video your sessions for online critique?

For the time being, I like your plan to get as comfortable with the clean-grip front squat. It's definitely awkward at first, but really important for when you eventually start cleaning.

Btw, one of the coaches here said he favors push presses over military presses since he considers the carryover to Oly lifting as being greater. Just something to think about.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:00 AM   #16
Max Murphy

Thumbs up Workout 4

Good things! Thanks for the welcome YS

I'm not aware of any O lift clubs in my area (Nashville) but I will do some searching. That's surprising to me that you would start with an overhead squat, even if it is just with a broomstick. 95 4 rep max is no joke. My ego took a huge hit when I started going ATG. I think the full ROM has/is helping my knees though. It almost feels like the full Rom forces my knee to track correctly (Which I think is good), as long as I don't push with my toes.

Warm up
10 minutes on incline treadmill, I was asleep the first 5 minutes.

Military press
2x10 @ 95
1x8 @ 105
1x6 @ 105
2x4 @ 135 Last set my my lower back tight. I will try a pushpress soon Yoon .

Sumo deads
2x10 @ 95
2x10 @ 135
1x8 @ 205
2x6 @ 225 I'm sure I could work up to 405 no problem with these I'm just scared of them at the moment.

Front Squats

Skipped these today. I was rather unmotivated today.

Misc
I played with cleans for a couple of sets this morning.
Monday I played around in gym with some heavy weights. Mostly Hammer Strength machines and some arm work.
HS shoulder press pyramid up to 1x6@ 270
HS chest press pyramid working up to several singles @ 320

Diet
Been spot on since Sunday. I've been Ifing for over 2 months now. I'm finding it more and more difficult to take in the "clean" calories I need to. I have almost no appetite throughout the day. This week I've added a morning meal which I think is whats killing my appetite. I think my diet timing is what I need to work on the most. I really need to clean up my weekend eating too.

I always, always feel better on almost zero carbs. I still haven't forced any fruit into my diet. If I don't add any fruit and stay meat veggies what vitamins/minerals do you guys suggest I use?
Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc?

Until next time!

In Ferrum, Veritas
Old 11-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #17
Max Murphy

Default Misc Workout

I'm going out of town this weekend so i will miss a workout. I went in today and hit back, shoulders, traps, tris and bis. Nothing special I will probably hit a O workout tomorrow. FRONT SQUATS! I might throw a set or 2 of over head squats in there. I did notice that my last front squat workout really hit my abs they were sore for a couple of days.

I have several noticeable imbalances; Left delts and lats are smaller than my right but it seems like my left side is stronger. Also when I military press I tend to put most of my weight right leg. I'm worried if these imbalances will cause problems down the road.
Thoughts?

In Ferrum, Veritas