Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #111
Garrett Smith

Today's workout:

~4 mile hilly walk

Then decided to do the only workout on the Concept2.com WOD generator that is under 30 minutes:

20 rounds of
20 seconds rowing
40 seconds rest

My goal today was to keep the average wattage of each round above 250W. I did this handily, with several rounds above 300W average. I'll likely raise the bar next time to averaging above 275W/round. If I were to fall below the desired wattage output, the workout would end. The first time I tried this workout I was unable to maintain output above 300W for more than about 8 rounds, so I'm starting lower this time.

This week had a lot of cultural events that my wife and I attended:
Tuesday - Forever Tango (nothing exciting, really)
Friday - UA Dance Department's Premium Blend (always very good!)
Sunday (today, in about an hour) - Russian American Kid's Circus

I'm looking forward to the Circus. Tonight is my younger brother's birthday dinner, I'll be gifting him some private personal training sessions with me, something he asked for previously.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #112
Garrett Smith

Today's workout was a hybrid of today's 2/25/08 CF WOD with some of the CA WOD mixed in.

Joint mobility
Warmup--press, push press, push jerk, 20kg x 3 reps each

All work sets done on 2:15 minute interval, all pressing done with 59kg
Press 1 x 5
Max pull-ups 13, all pull-ups done from full deadhang on Again Faster (free-swinging) bar
Push Press 3 x 5
Max pull-ups 13
Push Jerk 5 x 5
Max pull-ups 13

That was a good workout. To this point it hasn't re-aggravated my right levator scapula, which still is not gone completely.

So, this next part, if you don't like mind/body medicine, just skip reading it.

I'm trying my hardest to figure out the cause of this levator scap irritation. I figure there is something I'm missing. I fixed the rowing and head rotation issue. I've been doing my joint mobility, laser therapy, and I go this afternoon for my second adjustment since it began. I've even done basic BodyTalk FastAid and Access. Nothing seems to be resolving it--so my assumption, as I would do with any patient, is that the cause is not being addressed and I need to look elsewhere.

Energy medicine and the associations with certain bodyparts came up in office conversation this morning, so I go and look up the levator scapulae in my BodyTalk Module 4/7 book to see if I can make any connections.

Levator scapulae just so happens to be associated with the pancreas. It also happens that I've been eating WAY TOO MUCH sugar lately (in addition to dairy, grains, yadda yadda). So much so that I actually was having "seasonal allergy" symptoms last night, something that only happens when I'm eating incredibly poorly! I was at Trader Joe's after my brother's birthday dinner and I could hardly breathe due to nasal congestion (while having a runny nose). It went away on its own, and I went home to have some baking soda in water to alkalize the system.

Good thing I was planning on fasting for 22 hours today, longer than normal. That should help get things (ie. insulin sensitivity and resting the pancreas) moving in the right direction. I think I may do several days in a row of the longer fasting to balance out the dietary indescretions that have been coming fast and furious lately. I will do laser therapy today anyway--although I may treat my pancreas and liver areas instead to see if that changes the situation faster than what I've been doing so far.

Here goes.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #113
Garrett Smith

Thought this light(er) day was a good one to jump back into the CA WODs Bulgarian section.

Joint mobility
Ext. Mod. Burgener w/u, 3 reps, done with both pipe and 15kg bar

Muscle snatch w/u: 20kg x 2, 29kg x 2, 34kg x 2
All work sets done on 3 minute interval
Muscle snatch (3 x 2): 39kg x 2 x 3
Power snatch + 3 OHS (60% x 4 sets): 46.5kg x 4 sets
Power clean + push jerk + jerk w/u: 46.5kg, done immediately after last PS+3OHS set
Power clean + push jerk + jerk (60% x 4 sets): 57.5kg x 4 sets

Saving metcons for the weekend, unless I'm feeling spunky (or if I get to the gym early enough!). Going to work on tuck planches through the day today.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #114
Garrett Smith

Wednesday 2/27/08: Adult gymnastics. Learned how to "cut" on the rings, where a ring is actually let go and re-grabbed. Lots of balance beam work and some basic trampoline stuff.

Thursday 2/28/08 AND Friday 2/29/08: Rest. Got to bed late and didn't sleep well either night (with my lovely pregnant wife sick, coughing and blowing her nose all night), so I slept in both days. I do believe this decision played a major part in my not getting sick!

Saturday 3/1/08: ~2.5 mile total hilly route, ~1/2 of it was running uphill. Hung my fixed pull-up bar in the garage gym in the afternoon, did a quick 10 kipped reps. Remembered to do my joint mobility this morning!

Sunday 3/2/08:

~2.5 mile walk
Tabata row, 8 rounds, Calories: 8,8,8,8,8,8,7,7 = score of 7 Cal

Joint mobility + scapular stability
Ext. Mod. Burgener warmup, 3 reps, 15kg bar

All sets done on 2 minute intervals:
Back squat 111.5kg x 3 x 5
alternated with
Wall handstand on floor 30 seconds x 5 sets

I need to recheck my back and front squat maxes.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #115
Garrett Smith

Joint mobility, extended, plus scapular stability, 7:30am

First workout of the day, 10am:

Ext. Mod. Burgener w/u, 3 reps, 15kg bar

All sets done on 3 minute interval, all done at 60% of respective Sn & C&J maxes

Snatch 46.5kg x 1 x 4
sets alternated with
Power snatch + snatch balance + hang snatch 46.5kg x 1 x 3

Warmup power clean + tall clean + push jerk 46.5kg x 1

Clean & jerk (alternating lead foot) 57.5kg x 1 x 4
sets alternated with
Power clean + tall clean + push jerk 57.5kg x 1 x 3

Gymnastics class, 6:30pm:
Joint mobility
Rope 1 climb to roof, legs in L-straddle on way up (stronger in that today!), 1 straight body rep
Trampoline basic bounce, tuck jump, forward lean to 1/2 turn to sit to feet
Rings, muscle up, muscle up to L-sit support to L-sit hang to inverted hang to skin-the-cat to inverted hang to L-sit hang
Handstand work at the wall on low P-bars, held away from wall for 10-15 seconds!
Lazy vaults over low bar
P-bars, dips, swinging dips, support walk forward, grasshopper walk forward, support swings

Fun stuff! I'm always dog tired after that class. Never sore, just a general fatigue.

Last edited by Garrett Smith : 03-06-2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Added gymnastics class
Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #116
Garrett Smith

Joint mobility

Ext. Mod. Burgener w/u, 3 reps, 15kg bar

Deadlift warmup 70kg x 1, 100kg x 1, 109kg x 1

All work sets done on 2 minute intervals, alternating exercises

Deadlift 139kg x 1 x 7
alternated with
Wall handstand hold 7 x 30 seconds

So, after seeing Coach Sommer's suggestions on his site the other day about basic strength training ideas for gymnasts, I've decided that I have to prioritize my approach for a while to get some basic levels of strength necessary for certain moves.

This will mean:

Weighted pullups for lever strength and basic ring strength
Added resistance (Power Pushup) pushups & dips for planche strength and pressing strength
Lots of time spent in handstands!!!

I believe this approach will be good for a long while.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #117
Garrett Smith

OL portion of today's CA WOD:

Joint mobility + scapular stability
Ext. Mod. Burgener warmup, 3 reps, 15kg bar

Tall snatch + mid-hang snatch + snatch: 50kg x 4 sets, ~65% of max Sn, failed twice on final tall snatch (oops, a bit too heavy I guess), so turned it into a high hang snatch + mid-hang snatch + snatch set

Power clean + push jerk + mid-hang clean + jerk: 61.5kg x 3 sets, ~65% of max C&J, these all felt good

Finished up with:
8 deadhang pull-ups on AF bar, pulled to sternum
12 push-ups plus
5 (1 pistol + 1 King deadlift) R,L alternating sides each one

6pm went to an Anusara Basics yoga class, and realized that my inklings that I was really needing to stretch more were right on. I did get some benefit out of this class and I'm going to try to go for the next two weeks in a row (on Friday afternoon.

I felt a tickle in my throat in the afternoon before yoga. Crap, I thought. I want to stay healthy! So I did the good ol' hydrogen peroxide in the ears before bed (the left one was bubbling like crazy), started taking my immune system supplements (again), and wore my big wool socks to bed.

--

Saturday 3/8/08

The tickle turned into a full-blown raring sore throat by 3am. It was pretty harsh. I got out of bed and gargled with some ASAP HealthMax 30 silver solution and did some BodyTalk Access on myself. The sore throat felt noticeably better by the time I went back to bed, and was nearly gone by the morning!

I still felt under the weather, so I didn't do anything all day (except go to the dog park for 20 minutes and then breakfast with my pregnant wife).

--

Sunday 3/9/08

Still not feeling 100%, but feeling pretty darn good considering what other people have had to go through. All that healthy living must be good for something!

Went for my ~2.5 mile hilly walk with my parents and wife (who only did about half the walk and went back early with my mom). Did not push it. Wanted to get some good sunlight to boost the immune system.

I'm starting to feel less fatigue and like the lungs are ready to push the junk out. I think I'll be able to work out tomorrow, or at least do lots of joint mobility and stretching.

Hopefully I'll be meeting with some folks this week to discuss the future of the Tucson CF-affiliate-to-be. I simply can't do this on my own (on top of my medical practice), so I'm recruiting help.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #118
Garrett Smith

Update since Sunday:

No workouts on Monday and Tuesday. Low energy, head congested. The congestion clears up during the day quite a bit when I'm fasting (I've been doing about 22 hours a day on those days), then hits me like a ton of bricks after dinner. I didn't want to skip dinner, so I simply blew my nose a lot and put on a Breathe-Right strip before bed (that worked, quite well actually).

Wednesday 3/12/08: Adult gymnastics.
  • Joint mobility & foot drills
  • Mimetic movement (aka quadruped movement)
  • Rope climbs, no feet, ~15 feet each time, 3 trips total with several minutes rest between trip, this is technically a "PR"
  • Handstand work on wall, using floor and low parallel bars
  • Gymnastics hurdle work progressions, forward/backward/side (a la Coach Harrel's article in the CFJ)
  • Trampoline--basic bounce, 1/2 turn to sit, back bounce, front bounce, even tried a couple front 3/4 in pike position landing in a sit, then some "traveling" bounces (jumping from off of the tramp, bouncing, then landing on another mat, I felt like Spider-Man)
  • Ring work--2 separate muscle-ups, tucked front & back lever practice, normal and L-sit support work, several skin-the-cats
  • Balance beam, various traveling movements from USN G&T
There is such a feeling of generalized fatigue after gymnastics--no single muscle group, just the whole body. I really feel like getting back under some weights!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #119
Garrett Smith

No workout on Thursday 3/13/08. Still feeling under the weather a bit (still phlegmy, that's a technical term, and enjoying sleeping in a bit).

Friday 3/14/08:

Lots of joint mobility and scapular stability work.

I wanted to do a relatively easy workout, so I did:

45 sec. wall handstand (away from the wall for most of the time!)
10 pull-ups
20 70# KB cleans (10 per hand)
45 sec. wall handstand
8 chin-ups
20 70# KB cleans

I thought I was going to do 3 rounds of all those exercises until I started. Then I realized I'm not 100% yet and I'd just do two.

I'm looking forward to my Power Push-up 2 arriving to add resistance to dips and push-ups, and also to getting back on the weights!

I was going to do a basic yoga class tonight, but I have extended family in town and the dinner schedule didn't allow it.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #120
Garrett Smith

Power Push-up 2 came in the mail last night. That will be fun.

Saturday 3/15/08:

6:30am Anusara basics yoga class. I'm finding that yoga is good for a couple things--it *makes* me devote time to stretching, and it makes me realize that not all "training" has to be hard and have a goal. I've been stretching my hamstrings a lot more through the day recently, after re-reading Kelly Starrett's "Hamstrung" article in the CFJ. My hammies are really impeding my performance.

9am, 2 mile hilly walk with my mom and lovely pregnant wife.

Followed by 6 Paleo pancakes with butter and honey.

This weekend I'll be figuring out my initial approach to combining OL, training for the front lever/back lever/bent-arm bent-leg press handstand, and really continuing to stretch the hammies. I have two yoga passes left, so those will likely be my early Friday evenings for the next two weeks.