Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #121
Dave Paton

Dr G,

How often are you O-lifting? Did you get discouraged about the Senior Nationals?
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #122
Garrett Smith

Dave,
I will be OLifting more in the future. Between my platform needing some minor repairs, pregnant wife, rearranging my gym situation, and realizing (again) that competing and training for competition bring out what I consider my worst qualities, I haven't been doing much OL lately. That will soon be changing, I will likely be doing OL workouts 2-3 times a week in the near future (like next week).

Also, forgot to add, I won't be eligible for Masters competition for another three years. Plenty of time to change my mind...multiple times over.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #123
Garrett Smith

Okay, so today's relatively easy workout(s) are reminding me, yet again, that all the junk from the little tiny cold I got is not out of me yet. The weed flowers and wildflowers are also blooming like crazy here, it seems everyone around is sniffling/coughing.

So, Sunday 3/16/08:
~2 mile hilly walk with my parents, did my "agility" final hill sprint and really felt taxed after I was done. I call it an "agility" sprint because my dog Daisy constantly tries to "herd" me when I sprint (we believe she is partly/mostly Queensland Heeler), getting directly in front of me, jumping up at my sides, and weaving in front of my general path. I use her enthusiasm to my advantage, constantly changing speed and direction in efforts to avoid her. It is by far the most fun I have on my walks.

So, then I did the metcon from a week-and-a-half ago, with modifications.

3 rounds for time of
Row 350 m
5 (1 Clapping push-up + 5 kick-backs)
MODIFIED 16 lunge jumps
6:55
~3:43 of which was rowing, my quads were really toasted when I was done.

Hamstrings are slighty sore from yoga yesterday. I take that as a good thing.

--

So, initial thoughts on the "new" workout schedule are:

Weekends will include 1-2 days of the hill walking. This is in deference to Evolutionary Fitness, it gets my parents out exercising (we can also chat about anything important), it is fresh air and quality sun exposure, and I can run the uphills if I'm feeling spanky. One weekend day will contain some metcon (I don't consider walking metcon), either a rowing-based workout (they have the only Concept2 available to me), hill runs, or the very hilly out & back ride to my parents' house on my fixie (when it is consistently warmer). The other day will be a home gym gymnastics-based strength workout.

I have two more passes to yoga, so that will likely sub for a gymnastics workout for the next two weeks.

My goal is to have 2-3 gymnastics workouts a week, and 2-3 OL/PL (ME) based workouts a week. I don't really plan on mixing the two modalities much, in an effort to better modulate my energy expenditure and recovery ability.

Wednesday night (for now) is my US Navy G&T based gymnastics workout at OP Gymnastics. This day could include anything. There are always rope climbs, muscle-ups, and tumbling involved, as those are the only place I can do that stuff with a good set-up.

Thursday will likely be my day off, as I get to bed late that night.

I'll pick my ME workouts from the PMenu, CF, and Mike's Gym WODs. Yes, I'm a cherrypicker. I try to balance them out pretty well and I also have to deal with time restraints some days.

One gymnastics day at home will be the beginner series of the American Gymnast parallette guide. I may also include their midsection workout.

Another gymnastics day will be weighted pull-ups and push-ups with added resistance. I'm currently thinking about set/rep options and how I want to work that angle. I may just start with the good ol' 5x3, work up to 5x5, then up the resistance to get back to 5x3, rinse and repeat.

Okay, that's all I have time for on that right now. Tomorrow I'll begin the week with an ME day.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #124
Garrett Smith

Still snotty/phlegmy. Starting the week off with an OL technique workout, from Friday's 3/14/08 PMenu WOD. I've also decided, since I'm most interested in general athleticism and minimizing overly repetitive movements, that I'm going to start incorporating the split squat catch position into my OLifts at 80% of max and below.

This article piqued my interest in the split squat, after having already heard about it here. I have also decided to incorporate the "B" squat into my training again, both on front and back squats.

Joint mobility (minimum)
Ext. Mod. Burgener warmup with 15kg bar, 3 reps

All sets done on a 2 minute interval

Snatch (60% x 2 x 5): 46.5kg x 1 x 5, OOPS only did 1 rep instead of the rx'd 2, I'm not worried about it, between sets I worked on dropping into the split squat position from a high hang position with a dowel

Clean & jerk (60% x 5 sets x 1 clean + 2 jerks): 59kg x 1+2 x 5, did the jerk sets as follows--L/R, R/L, push x 2, R/L, L/R, definitely noted some leg fatigue in the jerks from the deep split squat reps done between snatch sets

2 rounds of hamstring stretches, both straight and bent-leg. I'm already noting improvements in their flexibility after devoting more time and attention to them for a week or two now.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #125
Garrett Smith

All the added lunge work yesterday fired up my right hip flexor, so I decided to avoid any lower body stuff today and just focus on the upper body.

I'm pretty sure a "normal" training week for me in this phase will likely look like:
M, F: OL work
W, Sat: Gymnastics work (Sat will include the normal walk)
T: ME Upper Body and Lower Body (ie. chins/pull-ups, dips & push-ups, and squats or deadlifts)
Sun: Walk + short metcon
Th: Rest

So, on to today's workout. I wanted to keep everything very manageable on the first day.

Oh, I'm also working up to the 3 minute Renegade jump rope routine here. I'll build up to it piece by piece in my warm-up. Today's version included 3 min. jump rope (4 rounds of 30 sec. basic bounce + 15 sec. single leg bounce). The full routine is below.
Quote:
Sequence A (0-30 seconds)
First 15 seconds: basic jump, two feet together
Second 15 seconds: cross-over of hands

Sequence B (30-60 seconds)
First 15 seconds: Ali shuffle (see description below)
Second 15 seconds: double skips

Sequence C (60-90 seconds)
First 15 seconds: side to side slalom

Sequence D (90-120 seconds)
First 15 seconds: hip turn with left foot forward

Sequence E (120-150 seconds)
First 15 seconds: hip turn with right foot forward

Sequence F (150-180 seconds)
First 15 seconds: running, high knees
Second 15 seconds: double skips
--
So, here's the whole workout.

Jump rope as mentioned above
Joint mobility, hamstring stretching

All work sets done on 2 minute interval

Supersets of:
3 x 5 deadhang chin-ups on AF bar, pulled to sternum
3 x 5 dips

Supersets of:
3 x 5 deadhang pull-ups on AF bar, pulled to sternum
3 x 5 push-ups plus on parallettes, emphasizing depth

Rut's Post Stretch Moves from latest PMenu and more hamstring stretching

That was a great workout. Easy and motivating, along with not aggravating my right hip flexor. I did a laser treatment before the workout started, as I got to the office early (didn't sleep well last night, we met with our CPA about taxes yesterday and I was a bit stressed about $$).

Anyway, next week when I do this workout I will likely include 10 sets of 2-3 reps of a lower body exercise done between the upper body exercises.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #126
Dave Paton

Dr G,

What do you know about cleansing diets? I read about a 2 day fast of only apple juice and then on the eve of the second day, a virgin olive oil and lemon juice mix. evidently, you wake up in the middle of the night and have to strap yourself to the toilet.

Anyways, do you recommend this type of cleansing, and if so, what is a good one to try? I am interested in this.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #127
Dave Paton

I just realized that posting this on your training journal is probably not where it should go...haha. Sorry.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #128
Garrett Smith

Dave,
No worries, but a new thread next time would be appreciated.

As for the apple juice, lemon juice, and EVOO "cleanse", I think it is a bunch of bunk.

I think eating Paleo while interspersing IF is the best "cleanse" that one can be on as a regular "cleansing" protocoal. I personally add a couple of liver-boosting supplements in small doses to my routine in order to keep things humming along.

Nearly every "cleansing" diet in existence is very low or devoid of protein-rich foods. The BS hippy explanation is that "animal foods are toxic and must be cleansed". The actual reason is to get the body in a protein-starved state to stimulate autophagy, or the digestion of old cells for their amino acids (that's the "cleansing"). Simple IF, done on a regular basis without ingesting Neolithic foods, will do the same thing and better.

BTW, the only apple juice for several days will have you getting the runs with every glass of juice you consume within the first day, believe me, been there done that!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #129
Dave Paton

Interesting. thanks!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #130
Garrett Smith

Wednesday 3/19/08:

7am, prehab and active recovery workout
  • Z-Health joint mobility, mostly R-Phase with a little I-Phase
  • Plate Halos 10 each way
  • 1 ext. time Pump
  • Rutman's Post Stretch Moves, 15 seconds each
  • Hamstring stretches with 10# DB
  • Skin-the-cat stretch
  • Triceps stretch
  • Behind the back thing stretch
  • FlowFit, one round
The FlowFit felt really quite smooth after all the pre-stretching and joint mobility. I was a bit surprised at that, as I haven't done it in a long time and I didn't do it that much in the past either.

6:30pm, adult CF gymnastics class
  • Basic joint mobility
  • Warmup with mimetic movements from USN G&T
  • Rope climbs - 1 no feet, halfway in L-sit, 1 no feet (PR)
  • Handstand practice against wall, on floor and parallettes
  • Balance beam drills from USN G&T
  • High bar pullovers, aka belly grinds
  • Rings, 2 consecutive Big Kids Muscle-Ups from full extension, tucked front and back lever work (torso is straight with bent hips & knees), L-sit in support
  • Trampoline basic and sit bounces, also some traveling bounces from pad-tramp-pad (those are awesome, I felt like Spider-Man!)
  • Forward rolls, shoulder rolls, backward rolls, cartwheels
Good turnout. Including myself we had 6 people.

Thursday 3/20/08: Rest. Slept in. So far, I'm very happy with this new workout arrangement--then again, I haven't finished the first week yet!