Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #121
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

That will damn sure be a fun four weeks. I look forward to reading your log.

Today was interesting. I got to the gym and realized I didn't have any clothes to change into. Thankfully my lifting shoes were in my gym locker. I had to choose between lifting in my underwear and a mesh practice jersey (for my 4-yr old son's soccer team--think sleeveless see-through half shirt) or skip a training day. So...

*No fast*

1) snatch
fives: 50, 55, 60
singles: 62.5, 65, 67.5, 70, 72.5, 75
I hit all my lifts fairly easily except one of the fives where I head-butted it. Not cool.

2) C&J, moderate (~80%) singles
80kg x 5 sets x 1

3) 1/2 "Nate"
as many rounds in 10 minutes of:
* 2 muscle-ups
* 4 HSPUs
* 8 2-pood KB swings
8 rounds

I'll save the Tabata and front-lever work for home. I've had enough gym for today. I had to go back to work commando-style, with a stinking knot on my head.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #122
Derek Simonds

I have done a similar thing with BJJ where I showed up with my gi in my bag but nothing else. I ended up taking a shower drying off with my t-shirt and heading back commando and slightly damp.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #123
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Sunday: 16 hour fast/4 hour window

Today: 17 hour fast

1) front lever progression: tuck, hold for total of 60 seconds
20, 15, 10, 15

2) power clean
doubles: 90, 95, 100, 102.5
[i]single[i]: 105, 107.5x, 107.5x, 90
These went better than I thought. I was tired, and my back was sore when I woke up.

3) press
60 kg x 3 x 5 reps

4) front squat
70 kg x 3 x 5 reps
Didn't feel too ambitious. Shameful.

5) MU's
7 consecutive (in 50 seconds). 12 total.
Hurt left elbow on the eighth. Didn't want to push it.

6) Tab rows (calories) @ 5
6, 7, 7, 6, 6, 5
First time to do this. Cals seems to be a crappy measure. Change damper to 6 next time.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #124
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

17 hour fast

1) 3 pos snatch (fast, light)
40 kg x 3 x 3
Speed was better this week, especially on hang and high hang.

2) split jerks (fast, light-->mod)
Doubles: 60, 70, 70
These were good, as well. Should've jumped to 65 and stayed.

3) OHS
45 x 3 x 5 reps

4) 2 rounds of "Barbara" [no break]
*20 pullups
*30 pushups
* 40 situps
* 50 squats
8:54
Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #125
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

*16 hour fast*

1) BS
260x3x5 reps
Felt good. Next: + 5

2) Ring dips
30#x3x5 reps

3) Rack pulls
405x3, 315x6
I'm going to DL once every three weeks (alternating w/rack pulls and halting DLs). Weekly heavy DLs will kick my ass (I'm still not right from last week). 405 was a little ambitious, and, I found out, too low in the cage, which didn't help. Rip got me squared away on form.
Next: 365x5

4) Pullups
67.5#x3x5 reps
Next: +2.5

5) WOD
*sandbag push jerks
*sledgehammer (vs. tire)
*tire flips

1 minute @ each station, rest one minute, repeat

I had a couple new guys working out with me, so this worked well. I could've used a heavier sledge, a bigger tire, and another round, but it was a good entry point for them.

Another athlete wants to join the party (which is fine with me), so I might have to omit one lift from each workout to shorten it a bit.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #126
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
1) snatch
fives: 50, 55, 60
singles: 62.5, 65, 67.5, 70, 72.5, 75
I hit all my lifts fairly easily except one of the fives where I head-butted it. Not cool.

Hey Gant,
Normally wouldn't share this, but given that you did, here goes. Training at a facility in Titusville, FL, back in February and was doing some Tall Snatches. They didn't have blocks, so I used two benches. I'm not the tallest guy, so the bar was right below crotch height, so I had to get some serious extension to get it up. Anyway, I worked my way up to a top set of 175 or something like that and on the 3rd rep I bonked myself pretty good. Took a picture to prove it. Here it is. She's a beauty.

All the best,
Arden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snatch that didn't go right.JPG (11.6 KB, 45 views)
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #127
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Hey Gant,
Normally wouldn't share this, but given that you did, here goes. Training at a facility in Titusville, FL, back in February and was doing some Tall Snatches. They didn't have blocks, so I used two benches. I'm not the tallest guy, so the bar was right below crotch height, so I had to get some serious extension to get it up. Anyway, I worked my way up to a top set of 175 or something like that and on the 3rd rep I bonked myself pretty good. Took a picture to prove it. Here it is. She's a beauty.

All the best,
Arden
Haha. Mine looked about like that. Being new to the O-lifts, I still have to concentrate fairly hard on the technical aspect. Given my pitiful attention span, even small distractions can shoot my wheels off. One time I was moderatly heavy jerks when I spotted some guy doing curls across the gym (with poor ROM to boot). I sent the bar directly into my jaw. That and tumbling off the platform occasionally is what keeps the O-lifts interesting.

Enjoy your new bar, and make sure your daughters realize it's not a toy. I built a platform last week in the garage, and the glue wasn't dry before my 4-year old son had written on it with marker. I took my Pendlay bar out last week, and he promptly used it as an axle a la an ab wheel. Then he reached for a hammer. before I used him as a wallball and choked him out. Even the Werksan guarantee doesn't cover finger paints.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #128
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Enjoy your new bar, and make sure your daughters realize it's not a toy. I built a platform last week in the garage, and the glue wasn't dry before my 4-year old son had written on it with marker. I took my Pendlay bar out last week, and he promptly used it as an axle a la an ab wheel. Then he reached for a hammer. before I used him as a wallball and choked him out. Even the Werksan guarantee doesn't cover finger paints.
I can relate. Thankfully my kids are a little older now and we don't have those issues any more.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #129
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Hey Gant,

All the best,
Arden

I'm so glad I'm not the only one still doing stuff like this. Luckily the bumpers and the platform are in a room that barely anyone goes into.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #130
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
It's going to take me a while to save up for that one. My York Training bar was $350 and their comp bar was $600. I went with the training bar when I was stocking my home gym. After lifting on Randy's werksan bar and getting the advice from Greg, I'm gonna save up and get it. It won't likely be until about July or August, but i'll get it.

My daughters have their own bars. One I made from a plumbing pipe and some sleeves from New York Barbell (doesn't rotate), and a training bar from ProPerformance. They know not to mess with Daddy's bars.....I think?

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote