Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #421
Craig Brown

It's better with two KBs, but I then a 2kb snatch obviously kicks it's ass as an exercise.
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #422
Derek Simonds

Weird I got a can I have my spider back email letter which was quite interesting. I read the entire document and even saved it for reference later. It might end up being helpful if the automakers go bankrupt.

Was the exercise that was at the end of that link a KB high pull?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #423
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Brown View Post
It's better with two KBs, but I then a 2kb snatch obviously kicks it's ass as an exercise.
Right. Cleans, rows, thrusters, or any number of KB movements do a better job without putting the humerus or elbow at a mechanical disadvantage.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #424
Susie Rosenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Suzie, a lot of that feeling had to do with following the Zone strictly. I wasn't eating enough (even using the 0.9 multiplier). Perhaps the starvation caused some sense of euphoria. When I switched to a hybrid program, I was setting PRs on all the benchmarks, but I didn't feel as sharp and vital. It's more about the food than the program.
Hmmmmmmmm. That's interesting. I would have guessed that sense of limitlessness was due mostly to metabolic conditioning, primarily from bouts of explosive work topping off moderately long, fairly intense, metcons on a base of reasonably good strength.

Having said that, I was at a lower weight and leaner body mass than I've ever had in my adult life, even going back to my late teens and early twenties. I suppose I was sort of starving.

If I thought I could starve myself into euphoria, rather than work for it, I suppose I might be tempted, if I didn't like to eat so much...

Thanks for the reply, and I won't gunk up your training log anymore. Mea culpa.

Susie
Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #425
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

You're not gunking it up. Training and nutrition go hand in hand. However, many people that do CF report these effects as soon as they go to strict Zone.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #426
Garrett Smith

Susie,
If one really wanted to, they could (relatively) easily starve themselves into euphoria, there is the "starvation euphoria" theory out there:
Quote:
Anorexics suffer from high anxiety and depression which often is masked by the starvation induced euphoria, release of encephalin (aka- endorphins) due to over and constant exercise, and compulsive behavior and obsessive thinking. The anorexic behavior like most neurotic behaviors has a mind of its own and creates a self-perpetuating cycle that is difficult to stop. Now that the psychological profession has accepted the notion that little children suffer from depression and anxiety, early age onset of anorexia should not be at all surprising.
[...]
Unsuccessful anorexics often become bulimics, exercise fanatics or obese
Let's see:
  • Anxiety over what tomorrow's workout will be
  • A diet, often referred to as hypocaloric, that lends itself to OCD weighing and measuring
  • Constant overexercising
  • Fanatical about exercise
I shall point no fingers--not that I'd need to in this crowd. In my own past, my wife accused me of acting "like" an anorexic when I was a vegetarian (strict diet) triathlete (excessive exercise). She would know, she had the history as a gymnast and dancer!

Susie, I want you to know that this is *not* directed at you. I believe many of us teetered on this brink in our common exercise/diet history...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #427
Susie Rosenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Susie, I want you to know that this is *not* directed at you. I believe many of us teetered on this brink in our common exercise/diet history...
Oh, I didn't take it personally, and I didn't mean to make light of a serious health problem. I was poking fun at myself in my longing to recover some of the thrumming vitality I experienced before my surgery.

I can tell you that I have been back on whole foods NO JUNK for just a few days, and I feel better already. I'm very optimistic about getting some of that soaring feeling of good health back.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program....

Susie
Old 11-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #428
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Nice post, Dr. G. It's always nice when research backs up something that I pulled from my arse. It is very real, and a little starvation gives you an edge that isn't entirely unhealthy. However, you can certainly go to far. In addition to starvation euphoria, some cults use protein deprivation for mind control. Hmmm...

*no fast today or yesterday*

Physical judo practice last night. Did guard carries with a 300+ lber. Did some pilates to loosen up this morning and will probably get some LCCJ in before dinner.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #429
Arden Cogar Jr.

This is absolutely AWESOME!!!

I love it.

Thanks for sharing Gant.

All the best,
Arden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
My son got his first promotion in judo last night. It was a good night. Only 12 more years, a hundred friends, a thousand bruises, and a hundred thousand falls until black belt.

My jacket is 15 years old in case you're wondering why it looks like that.

*no fast*

w/u: jump rope 3 minutes; free HS x 5

1) muscle clean + 2 push jerks
80 x 3 x (1+2)

2) "J.T" (CF Hero) (21-15-9: HSPU--> ring dips--> pushups)
15:58
About four minutes slower than my time a year ago on this. At that time I was in good CF shape and weighed 15 pounds less.

3) 2500m row, steady pace
11:39
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #430
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Friday- At 2+ lbs. of meat at lunch buffet.

Saturday- Judo and JJ

Sunday- hung out with family. A little bike riding.

Monday- No training. 16 hour fast.

Today- ~14 hour fast

I'll be on the road the rest of the week and defiling myself all next week. Decided to get a Total in.

BW= 90.75

**All lifts add 1 lb. for using power bar.

1) squat: w/u 110, 130, 150, 170

2) press: w/u 60, 70, 80
94x

3) DL: w/u 170, 190
219 x

Squat= 414.4# (PR)
Press= 204.9# (PR)
Deadlift= 464#
---------
Tot= 1083.3# (PR) @ BW of 199.7#

Well, that was that. I was hoping for 1100 total, but my weak back betrayed me. I pulled 485 months ago, but the 464 was difficult today. 482 wasn't happening at all. That shouldn't be surprising since I've been working squat and press a lot more. Thus, the PRs in those two lifts. Maybe next time.