Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #521
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Daniel, glad to see you on the quest for strength. There isn't a worthwhile goal that bacon won't help you achieve.

I'd give you the same advice Aimee did about the metcons. You don't have to do long metcons to stay in great shape. Even if you can't do as much OLY as you like, you can still do some speed pulls, snatch grip deads, clean pulls, and other stuff that will help your explosive strength. Check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Man...you beat me to the 1min. tuck front lever (I'm at 45sec. in my first set).

Are those parallette HS free or against the wall?
I had actually made it to the straddle front lever last fall when I was doing the progressions. I had to start again and hope to get back there quickly. If you're at 45, the next progression is right around the corner!

The para-HS were against the wall. I've started messing with free-standing para-HS, but I suck at them.

today
*no fast*

1) FL, adv. tuck: 25, 15, 20
This was hardcore on my triceps.

2) HS, parallettes, wall: 1:05, :25
Working towards 1:30. Are there other worthwhile progressions once you hit 1:00?

3) HS, freestanding, paralletes, 5-10 singles
6, 4, and a couple 2 second holds were the best I could manage.

4) box jumps from seated position
38.5" x 10 x 1 @ 30 sec. intervals
I got the best explosion in reps 2-6. Did a 43.5" jump at the end for good measure.

5) metcon
12-15-9
* KB high pulls @ 2x20kg
* sledge swings @ 16#
3:23
This was just about right.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #522
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

*no fast*
I need to get back on this. I've just been buying a lot of bacon lately.

1) grip fighting, 30 minutes

2) thrusters, work to max
80, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110x
Dang. Tied a PR. It was easy and went up fast. Got greedy with the big jump.

3) DL, triple
405x1x3
w/u with 225 and 315. Felt good. I'm just now realizing I only did one set of reverse hypers after DL. Dang again.

4) 1000m row @ <=1:55/500
3:50
Old 02-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #523
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
*no fast*
I need to get back on this. I've just been buying a lot of bacon lately.

2) thrusters, work to max
80, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110x
Dang. Tied a PR. It was easy and went up fast. Got greedy with the big jump.
I hate it when I do that...

I am training a female client right now who is just awsome and sometimes just sometimes when she wants to get greedy and she realy protests I let her... always with the same result.....

Makes me want a coach of my own I know my training would be much less hap hazard. Congrats on the Fran Time

Oh yeah and don't stop eating bacon in order to fast just eat it for dinner.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #524
Craig Brown

Or as a nice bacon/avacado/beef salad with lunch...
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #525
glennpendlay

When are you gonna show up to weightlifting practice? Or do you wanna go over the lunch hour sometime, since thats when you normally work out?

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #526
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Liam, greedy and lazy are usually interchangeable in my program. I grab the 5kg or 2.5kg, depending which is closer. A lot of my singles work is "to max for the day," so greed is relative. Then again, 110 would've looked so much better than 107.25.

Glenn, I didn't check this before seeing you yesterday evening. I plan to be in there on Monday.

*no fast*
In fact, I ate half a pizza at 11 pm and eggs and brisket at 8 am. Excellent.

Rough training session. Sore from judo, especially shoulders. Hip drive sucked.

1) OHS
doubles: 50, 60, 70
singles: 75, 80
That might be a new PR for OHS, which is sad. Onward.

2) power snatch, singles
60, 70, 75, 80x, 77.5
Broke my prohibition. Needed to pull something.

3) clean, singles
60, 70, 80, 90x
WTF? I had two attempts at 90. Pull was fine. Body just...rejected it.

4) back squat, doubles (pounds)
315, 335, 355, 365, 315

5) press, singles (pounds)
155, 165, 175, 185, 195

6) odd stone lifting, 5 singles, lap it and roll to chest

7) sled drag, 400m @ 60kg + 20# vest
Old 02-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #527
Derek Simonds

I trained with guys at Nashville MMA and had a good evening. My mat cardio sucked but it was good enough to get me several submissions. My face is still absolutely trashed from defending a RNC from a BB.

Long way of saying man it got me jacked for a tournament. I am trying to decide when my next one will be and it looks like April. What about you?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #528
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Derek, it's always cool to have one of those training moments that fire you up and make you want to get back in the ring. There's nothing I can compete in judo-wise for a couple months. There are a couple under-brown tourneys in the next month that my son might go to, but I'm out of luck. Fortunately, we have a judo and jujitsu clinic this weekend with Ray Silverstrand, the closest thing I know to a living Samurai. Neat guy.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...id=229 871236

At some point I might try some no-gi stuff. My stand-up is good, and, as long as wrist locks are legal, I can get by on the mat. It would be fun to try.

last night

OLY lifting with Glenn. Drilled technique (mine sucked coming in). It was all about speed. To this point, I had apparently been pretty lazy with my pulls because this felt completely different. Worked up to 60 on snatch and 80 on CJ because form deteriorated after that. I sucked much less by the time I left (though I still sucked and still need lots of work).

It was also cool to train on the same platform as Caleb Ward. He was helpful and very encouraging. He's still a teenager, but he seems to have this lifting thing figured out. He's only lifting about 100 KILOS more than I am in the respective lifts. I believe he snatched 155 for three singles. Solid.

My cues, so I remember, were [snatch] hips back, pull bar against legs on first pull, push knees back; and [CJ] finish 2nd pull, the hat thing (Caleb's), stomp on catch, lift toes before jerk, recover left foot first.

Thanks again.

today

There's a CFT meet at Rip's this Saturday. I have a 2-day judo seminar so I'm not going to max. I trained today to select the weights for Saturday.

1) back squat, triples (pounds)
225, 275, 315, 365

2) press, doubles (pounds)
135, 155, 175, 195

3) DL
315x2, 365x2, 405x2, 455x1

4) a) 500m row (setting 6)
1:37
PR. Rest 1 minute. This was about 90-95% intensity.
b) easy 1000m row <= 2:15
4:26
Hell, 2:15 used to be my "trying" pace. Still not fast but getting better.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #529
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
OLY lifting with Glenn. Drilled technique (mine sucked coming in). It was all about speed. To this point, I had apparently been pretty lazy with my pulls because this felt completely different. Worked up to 60 on snatch and 80 on CJ because form deteriorated after that. I sucked much less by the time I left (though I still sucked and still need lots of work).

It was also cool to train on the same platform as Caleb Ward. He was helpful and very encouraging. He's still a teenager, but he seems to have this lifting thing figured out. He's only lifting about 100 KILOS more than I am in the respective lifts. I believe he snatched 155 for three singles. Solid.

My cues, so I remember, were [snatch] hips back, pull bar against legs on first pull, push knees back; and [CJ] finish 2nd pull, the hat thing (Caleb's), stomp on catch, lift toes before jerk, recover left foot first.

]

Man I am jealous....... Thats it I am gonna look for a good coach and put some money where my mouth is. Not likely to be a Glenn Pendlay but I am sure as long as they actualy know the lifts they will help me loads.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #530
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
Man I am jealous....... Thats it I am gonna look for a good coach and put some money where my mouth is. Not likely to be a Glenn Pendlay but I am sure as long as they actualy know the lifts they will help me loads.
It's worth it. I improved about 10 kilos a year on my own. This might be worth 25 or 30 kilos in the next year (not to mention better transfer to sport).