Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Nick Tirkalas

Default Starting PM Mass Gain

This weekend I had my LBM checked on a Tanita scale. I know not that accurate but withing a few pounds perhaps. It came in at 123lbs and almost 11% BF. My goals was to get pretty lean than go mass but if I go any more, I will not look that healthy. So starting tomorrow, I am switching to gain.

Here are the stats.

5'8"
139 lbs
11% BF
123lbm.

14 Blocks x 5 fat for maintenance. = 1872.5 calories. - seems low.
+ 2 extra blocks to gain for week 1. = 2027.5 calories.

I am doing the PM mass gain program so we'll see how it goes.

A few question's for those that know. The program says L-Pull up 60& 6x6. Is that supposed to be %. A little confused.

Also, on the strength cycle, it says snatch pull/RDL. Do we chose or do these both, or are they considered the same thing. I don't think they are.

Thoughts.

I'll update this weekly hopefully with more mass and a healthier look.
Nick Tirkalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

That's supposed to be a "%" Greg was probably too busy gulping down olive oil to catch the editing mistake.

I'm assuming that the Snatch Pull/RDL is a combo movement where you do a snatch high-pull from the floor, then lower to hang position and do a RDL, but I may be wrong. Anybody else know for sure?
Jesse Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Woody View Post
That's supposed to be a "%" Greg was probably too busy gulping down olive oil to catch the editing mistake.
He should let me do his proofreading for him.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Nick Tirkalas

I downloaded the Mass Gain template and it clarified the & to % so that's good. Still trying to figure out the snatch pull/RDL.

I'm learning some things only been on it a week. All nutritional. I am doing IF. Going for a last feeding time before 6-7 pm and breaking the fast after 11. Feels good. Around that time I start to feel the weakness. Little to no hunger pangs. I am eating Zone Paleo. My block make up is 16P, 7C and a whopping 99F. I cut the carbs in half like Robb mentioned in PM17. I am trying not to go above 70g for carbs in a day. The fat eating feels good and feel no sluggishness. I think I have a big insulin sensitivity which is why I am keeping the carbs low.

I am experimenting with the macro make up during the feed time. I go for 3 feed times. Today(rest day) I am going for all carbs before 3 pm. I had no fat in my first feeding and I felt like crap. Hungry within a few hours. I eat no fat in my PWO meal, which is always at night as I work out after work. We'll see how it goes. Abs are slowly disappearing but still there.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

There's some debate on the worth of a high-GI, no fat PWO meal. On the one hand, you've got the insulin spike, which helps build muscle; on the other hand (regular low-GI, high fat), you keep your GH levels spiked, which also helps.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Nick:

I'm 5'8" at 135 lbs.. more or less probably about 5% BF. You are "skinny" like I am, but it's not really unhealthy to be at this weight and height (although I am eating 2500 cals to just maintain, lol). Anyway, GL.

I'm pretty sure the snatch pull/RDL is a combo like Jesse said.

Also, I would try eating more than 3 meals a day. It will speed up your metabolism, but it is easier to get down massive amounts of food easier with more meals.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:34 AM   #7
Kevin Perry

Thank god I'm short and bulky instead of tall and skinny. LOL I'm just kidding, good luck on your gain.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
Nick Tirkalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Also, I would try eating more than 3 meals a day. It will speed up your metabolism, but it is easier to get down massive amounts of food easier with more meals.
Steven,

I think with IF, this would be difficult as it would have me eating every hour. As it is, I am having difficulty stuffing down all the calories I need in that feed window. With IF, frequency is not much an importance. I divided it into 3 to keep me from gagging on all the food.

I may have to resort to olive oil, ala Greg, to get all the fat. There is a crap load to eat here....99 Blocks! And this is the first week. It's going up next week!

I feel and see myself getting soft, but my weight seems to be steady, or up maybe 2 pounds. It varies.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Well, I was speaking for those of us with small stomaches. I think it's easier to eat many meals than it is to try to stuff 3 down at once to get all my cals.. which I can't do. Maybe it works the opposite for you.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papapetrou View Post
I feel and see myself getting soft, but my weight seems to be steady, or up maybe 2 pounds. It varies.
Weight varies far too much to try to measure it often. Just look for a rough average of ~1 pound each week, and take the measurement before the fast ends.

Good luck and have fun.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote