Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 10-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
Susan Karon

Default Fish oil dose

Two questions:

1) I am an extremely healthy 53 y/o crossfitter (eva is my guru). i am told that for faster recovery of soreness from workouts fish oil might be beneficial. is this true? how much?

2) my husband has significant joint disease at a relatively young age (osteoarthritis at age 57). will fish oil benefit him? how much?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Robb Wolf

If Eva is your guru listen to EVERYTHING she says! She is steering you right with the fish oil recommendation. In simple terms fish oil helps to facilitate everything we want physiologically and minimize those things we do not like. For an uber detailed look at the topic find a copy of the Omega Rx Zone. Recommended dosage ranges from 2-10g per day. Try 4-5g for both you and your husband and see if recovery is improved. If you reduce his inflammation it should help with the arthritis pain. No guarantees but it should. A high level Olympic Weightlifting coach has reported that Intermittent Fasting has also helped his osteo-arthritis…
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Susan Karon

Thanks! We'lll give it a try.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Eva Twardokens

susan..remember about bringing me meals...remember about bringing me meals...robb said do EVERYTHING i say. robb, i am assuming that fish oil wil balance an acidic system? i am starting to pay more attention to the acid base balance and was told meat makes the blood acid and veggies and fruits get you basic...by some smarty pants guy....but what about fat? and how much veggie to how much protien? will the zone portions make this balance? i know this is in the wrong catigory on this site, but answer it anyway. your biggest fan. Eva T.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
Robb Wolf

Eva-
Your check is in the mail! If we keep this up Susan may even believe we know what we are talking about!
You are right on regarding the acid/base stuff. One needs to only have 20-30% of cals come from veggies and fruit to get a net alkaline situation. That number can vary quite a bit depending upon how much fruit vs veggies one is consuming.
Now fats are typically neutral with regards to acid base balance but nuts and seeds can vary from quite acidic to moderately neutral. I think Loren Cordain has a good list of this stuff on his site.
So the Zone is great with regards to acid base balance (if you are sticking with fruits and veggies for the carbs).
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Sam Lepore

I take the capsule form of the fish oil.

They recommend 2 per day. I take the EPA/DHA Barleans. Very high in EPA and DHA compared to most Fidh oils.

I would have to take this does like 5 -6 times a days to hit the dosage you are saying Robb. Seems like a lot. No?

I also eat Salmon or some type of fish at least 4 days a week.
Sam Lepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:00 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lepore View Post
I take the capsule form of the fish oil.

They recommend 2 per day. I take the EPA/DHA Barleans. Very high in EPA and DHA compared to most Fidh oils.

I would have to take this does like 5 -6 times a days to hit the dosage you are saying Robb. Seems like a lot. No?

I also eat Salmon or some type of fish at least 4 days a week.
Sam,

I am currently taking 15 caps of fish oil per day which ends up 6 grams of EPA/DHA per day. I do this according to bodyweight, my wife who is 60 lbs less than I only takes 10 caps per day.

A link from Coach Rut's Blog:

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=10560317&postID=11626440815676490 4
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Sam Lepore

Thanks Allen.

I actually saw that blog last night. 1 teaspoon per 50 pounds. Look out! I am 230 pounds.

What brand of Fish oil are you taking now? I take Barlean's EPA/DHA. 783 MG of EPA and 400 MG for each 2 capsules. This is much more potent than other Fish oil capsules.

With the fish I eat each week and the stats above on the Barleans, do you think I should be taking 15 capsules a day? The bottle is 22 bucks for 60 caps. YIKES!!
Old 11-15-2006, 03:28 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lepore View Post
Thanks Allen.

I actually saw that blog last night. 1 teaspoon per 50 pounds. Look out! I am 230 pounds.

What brand of Fish oil are you taking now? I take Barlean's EPA/DHA. 783 MG of EPA and 400 MG for each 2 capsules. This is much more potent than other Fish oil capsules.

With the fish I eat each week and the stats above on the Barleans, do you think I should be taking 15 capsules a day? The bottle is 22 bucks for 60 caps. YIKES!!
No since your brand is much more potent you do not need to take 15. I take the GNC brand not because it's the best but it's what my family can do in the budget right now, military discount+gnc discount = $21 for 2 bottles of 360

For your dose it seems pretty simple, 2 capsules have a total of about 1200 mg's and you should be shooting for 5 g's per day so you need to take approximately 8-9 caps per day. 8 will get you a little under 5g and 9 will get you a little over.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:29 AM   #10
Sam Lepore

Thanks Allen!