Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Craig Snyder

Default Craig's Log

First Post...New Log.

I've been a lurker around crossft, here, and Mike's Gym for a while...about a year actually...and I figured I would start posting my workouts here. I have been following crossfit during the spring, summer, and fall but I have since realize that I have drastic strength needs in my legs and my oly lifts.

Last max lifts as of 12/19/07:

Front Squat: 155...pounds....if you post in kgs I have to take out my calc and figure out what you are lifting.
DL: 245
Press: 105

Last oly max lifts on 1-14-08:

Clean/Jerk: 135, any more than that and and end up on my butt. I can power clean more than that though.
Snatch: 105

I plan on trying to follow this next 16 week mesocycle and see where it takes me. I have a gym nearby that doesn't care what I do and it has all the equipment that I need, which is nice. Any feedback is appreciated. I have no coach and unfortuanately I am the most experienced oly lifter in the area...with no exprience expect for some continuing ed courses (PT/ATC/CSCS), which are more like teaser courses than actual olympic training seminars.

Thank you for putting this site together and for any advice in advance that I receive.

Craig
Craig Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Craig Snyder

1-21-08

Warm up

Back Squat:
45x3
95x3
135x3
155 2x3
165x3

Press:
95 5x3

Met con:

2 rounds of:

30 seconds jump rope sprint (no 200m track outside...also we finally just got above 0 degrees today for the first time in about 4 days...I didn't want to freeze my lungs outside.
15 pull ups
10 turkish get ups (20lbs)
15 pull ups
30 seconds jump rope sprint
2 minute rest

Felt good. I realized after I got home that that squats should have been a single, but it felt good to do triples. I don't back squat much, so I really don't know what my max is. 165 didn't feel to heavy.

Craig
Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

Craig welcome to the forum. Best of luck with the next mesocycle. If you do come up with some specific technique questions the best thing to do is video the lift and post so that everyone can look and help.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Craig Snyder

Thanks Derek. I will do that when my camera is working again or I get a new one. The one that I have isn't working. I do know that they need a lot of work, so the sooner the better so I don't wreck myself over the next 4 months.

Some more demographics: 65 inches. 140lbs. Estimate 10-12% body fat. That is based on visually of abs. I can see the outline of the abs, and the start of a six pack, but not enough to say that it has returned yet. I've lost 20lbs since last Jan thanks to crossfit/zone. I have no idea what fat/muscle ratio was lost/gained during this time, but it is definitly a positive ratio due to strength improvements in pull ups/push ups/squats/etc.

WOD 1-22-08

Subbed treadmill for rows (no rowers here) 1000m
5 power cleans to push press (75lbs) no sand bag, used barbell
30 swings (40lbs)
750m run
10 power cleans to push press
25 swings
500m run
15 power cleans to push press
20 swings

34:20

Craig
Old 01-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Craig Snyder

1-24-08

Missed yesterday due to eye doctor appointment and having my pupils dialated. That sucks. I spent the rest of the day with a headache and in the dark. Did yesterdays WOD today.

Warmup

Snatch for speed: 45, 45, 65, 65, 75
Front Squat: 85x3, 115x3, 125x3, 135x2, 145x1
Snatch push press: 65, 65, 85, 105, 115
Pull up, curl up, neutral grip: 8, 6, 6

I've been seriously considering getting some weighlifting shoes. A lot of my squatting problems in terms of depth and trunk alignment are fixed with my heel elevated on 5 lb plates. I have read Adidas are the probably the best...but also the most expensive. For someone like me who will probably never compete, is spending $150 necessary or is $70 just fine. (http://www.vsathletics.com/product.p...7fd73b86a69fd8)

Does anyone have any experience with the vsathletics shoe? Is it crap or is it ok?

Craig Snyder
Old 01-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Craig Snyder

1-25-08

Clean and Jerk (95lbs)
5 sets 2 Cleans/1 Jerk

The weakest part of my cleans is recieving in the squat. I don't mind the rack, but I think my legs are either weak or I am just unbalanced in the f/squat position when it is dynamic like that. I definitly need to get taped and critiqued ASAP.

Snatch Pull (100lbs) 3x3

Met Con:

20-15-10

Wall ball (15lbs)
Kipping pullups
dips (no rings)

11:39

No rest. I forgot about the rest periods until I got home.

Craig
Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
Derek Simonds

I know Monique and Leo from Crossfit Evolution just bought some VS shoes. I have the Do-Wins and love them. They have a higher heel then some of the other shoes. I consider the $90 I spent on them a very good investment.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Craig Snyder

Thanks Derek. I think a higher heel might be a better investment for me right now anyway. I am tight...very tight. I took a couple of vids that I will be posting soon of some air squats and they are ugly. I'm talking posterior tilting at maybe 60 degrees of the squat. The worst of it is that I didn't know that was a problem until I did a video and saw it. So all the squatting that I have been doing has been poor squatting...lucky for me I am not injured becuase of it.

So...I have a lot of work to do. Kinesthetic training and agressive flexibility training will be added to the program. But no more deep squats until the posterior tilt is fixed (that hurts just typing that). And basically power oly lifts as well until I get straightened out. The good news is that I have made some gains just over this weekend with stretching, so I think there is hope for me and I am optimist that within a month I will be better off. I will hopefully have some Do-wins by then as well.

Craig.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
Craig Snyder

1-28-08

Back Squat: 45x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135 2x5.
Snatch DL: 95x3, 135x3, 185x2, 205x1
Push Press: 95, 115, 115, 115, 115

Super set:
Pull up: 10, 9, 6
GH sit up: 3x15

Back squats are not 78% of 1RM as I don't know what my 1RM is for back squats. With my new found squat faults I don't think this is the time to find out what it is either. So the weight was medium and not to parallel to prevent the posterior tilt. Rest felt good. First heavy snatch grip DL...heavy for me anyway.

Craig
Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
Craig Snyder

1-29-08

PC-PJ-J 105# x4
Tall Snatch 45x2 65x2, 55 3x2

3 rounds:
8 1 arm DB snatch (30 lbs)
5 Ball slams (15 lbs)
1 minute rest
3 rounds:
subbed 5 max standing vertical jumps
12 cross chops (35 lbs)

4:13

The clean and jerks seemed to go ok. I am unsure about the tall snatch. I have never done those and tried to figure them out from the video on the site. As far as I can tell, I did them right, but we will never know for sure.

I think my squatting is improving. I will be posting some videos tonight.

Craig.