Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Mike ODonnell

Default Exercise not THE solution for fat loss.

good article as main stream media picks up on the fact that nutrition is the bulk of the battle in weight loss.....and strength work is more important than aerobic work for weight loss as well....Taube's book is a giant influence in this movement...

http://thefitnessinsider.menshealth....cret-to-b.html
Old 12-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

For some reason nobody ever felt the need to respond to this until me.

This actually made me think of the post by Robb Wolf on Art Devany's site: http://www.arthurdevany.com/2007/11/...fs_repo_1.html

Once people realize that nutrition is nearly the whole picture they're amazed at how well they perform and how much better they look.

Good find MOD.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

yes, so true. Case in point. Today I ate nothing but crap food and now I feel like a miserable SOB. I'm pissed, really. And food did it to me. The stuff is like medicine! Take it without discretion and the sides are ungodly. Take it as directed and it does wonders.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
Greg Battaglia

I don't know if I totally agree with this. Don't get me wrong, diet is huge. However, I have gotten incredibly lean in the past simply be eating a half assed diet and working my ass off in the gym. I felt healthy too. Of course both should be employed, but I think a half assed diet combined with a half assed exercise routine is superior to an excellent diet with no exercise. Additionally, Robb states that once dense carb sources are eliminated people lean out. I don't doubt this one bit, but I don't think elimination of starchy carbs is necessary to lean out if you're dealing with an incredibly active person. Look at Ross Enamait (or really any boxer) for example. he claims to be a regular guy who just as a will built fo steel. He eats plenty of sweet potatoes, oats, sprouted bread, beans etc. and is completely shredded. How could this be? He tears it apart in the gym daily.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post
I think a half assed diet combined with a half assed exercise routine is superior to an excellent diet with no exercise.
If we are talking about fat loss for a general person, I disagree as fat loss is really a hormonal based equation. What you eat signals your hormonal response. Same thing for what you do for exercise. If you do crappy workouts, you get a crappy hormonal response. While exercise is essential (strength training, not cardio), you can still lose weight with diet alone. If the other way was better, everyone would be fit because they spend hours in the gym, play on machines and eat fast food...but I do not see that case everytime I look around.

Quote:
but I don't think elimination of starchy carbs is necessary to lean out if you're dealing with an incredibly active person
I totally agree, a person who is very active will burn up whatever you put in him for the most part. Hence look at all those athletes in college who are ripped...and eat snickers and ding dongs....they burn it up.

In the end, if the general non-active person focuses more on eating healthy they can lose weight with little to no exercise. Will they be ripped and have bulging muscles? Prob not. That you need resistance training for at least a couple times a week. Cardio is not neccessary in the sense of that whole lie of being in a fat burning zone. You burn fat all day!...or at least have the ability to with the right hormonal responses. Higher intensity exercises like intervals and Ross' workouts will keep those hormones burning fat all day.

My conclusion, the general public needs to forget about cardio, do some sort of resistance intervals 2-3x a week, and eat clean...then just live an active lifestyle doing whatever.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Greg,
Remember that you're still young. Heck, how old is Ross Enamait? Diet shortfalls show up more slowly as people age. Also, it looks as if Ross' carb sources are relatively unprocessed, which is a good thing.

Take a middle-aged person (or older), they aren't getting far without a good diet. Also, I would tend to believe that your half-assed diet was probably pretty dang good.

Exercise can make up for some of a diet's shortfalls. Diet can make up for a lot more of exercise's shortfalls in terms of body comp. Bang-for-the-buck timewise, effort spent on diet will bear a lot more fruit in the long run.

Of course, one should do both for maximum results and health benefits.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

I think it's also important to remember that everybody is different and have different body types. I had a friend in college (actually a couple of friends) who seemed to be true meso's (that is the body type that puts muscle on seemingly at will with little to no fat gain right?). They could eat just an ok, or half assed diet, work their asses off in the gym (bodybuilding style) and all they seemed to do was put on muscle.

No steroids, just food, lots of it, some creatine and a significant amount of work.

Then there were the rest of us who had to reduce our alcohol intake (a big deal for a 19 year old in college), and actually eat a bit better than McDonald's and late night Taco Bell runs to get any sort of results. No matter how hard we trained, we could never sniff the same results without intense work on nutrition.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote