Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Eric Kerr

Default The Whole Chicken

Doing some thanksgiving cooking, I reminded myself of one of the aspects of cooking that I really like and would like to explore more.

The art of using the whole [critter]. Insert chicken, pig, cow, vegetable, etc.,.

It started out like this.

Needed some chicken stock. Normally I would say the stuff in a can or a box would suffice, but hey, this is Thanksgiving dinner that we are talking about.

Making chicken stock is easy-peesy, so I won't bore you with the details. Oh at it kicks the cruft out the stuff from a can or box.

It takes a while, so make sure you have a solid afternoon or evening available to let things simmer.

About half way through the process you can pull the chicken meat (careful as it is wont to fall apart on you). Or if you forget it will not hurt it to leave the meat in the whole time.

Now I've got a whole $10 chicken that I'd rather not just toss in the trash can if there is another option.

Chicken salad anyone?

In this case I decided to make some homemade garlic aioli (basically mayonaise with some garlic and some lemon juice for a zesty zing).

Goes awesome on left over chicken, turkey, or most white fish.

Oh yeah, zest the lemon before hand and throw it in a freezer bag for use in other recipes.

I suppose if you were composting at home, you could then dump some or all of the remaining leftovers on your compost pile to molder into fertilizer that your plants will love.

Eric
Eric Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
Frank Needham

Two suggestions to make it much easier next time. First buy a pressure cooker, next use a food strainer to seperate the broth and carcass. The pressure cooker will reduce the cooking time for the broth down to about 15 minutes. The strainer will make it easier to fine tune the clarity of the broth depending on what porosity you use.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Yael Grauer

There are some kick-ass broth recipes on the Weston Price website, and ideas for using the cooked chicken in other recipes in the Nourishing Traditions book.

Mmm. I'm getting hungry!