Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
Max Murphy

Default Murphy's intro to Oly Log.

Workout 1

I will eventually drop the reps and up the weight. Right now I'm trying to get some sort of form and make sure I'm flexible enough just to do the movements. I noticed last night at the bottom of my front squats my hips hurt. It wasn't bad I just want to get the right areas loose enough that I don't hurt something.

Last nights workout was good. My ego took a hit because of the light weights but I'm trying to not let that bother me. It went like this:

5 minutes on a row machine to warm up

Military press

2x10 with the bar
2x10 @ 95
2x8 @ 95 (I had some pain in my left shoulder)

Sumo deads
2x10 135
2x10 225 (I liked the sumo stance, I've never tried it before)

Front squats
2x10 with the bar
4x10 with 95 (I moved slow and controlled, tried to focus on pushing with my heels rather than my toes, and going ATG)

I could actually feel almost instantaneously if I pushed with my toes. My knees would let me know real quick. The good news is this morning my knees have no pain what so ever. I think I'm going to stay with these weights for the rest of this week, I might up the deads, they felt easy.

I'm thinking about keeping a log here. I like PM because it's not covered with tester logs, hormone cycles, and hype over the newest coolest whatever supplement. If any one is interested let me know and I'll set it up. I'll probably do it anyway just because the wealth of knowledge here. I'll gladly take any feed back given.

I'm happy with my first semi-Oly workout.
Max Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Max Murphy

Workout 2

The second workout
I just did pretty much the exact same thing. I don't want to jump in too quick and hurt something. I also got a copy of Dan Johns from the ground up. I like it a lot. I might try a couple of the workouts when ever I feel comfortable with what I'm doing now.

5 minutes walking inclined on a treadmill.

Military press

2x10 with the bar
4x10 @ 95 This seemed a lot easier today. Left shoulder still tight, uncomfortable.

Sumo deads
4x10 135 I stuck with light weight and focused on form a little more today. I didn't go up in weight because I had a little more crackle in my knee than I wanted.

Front squats
2x10 with the bar
4x10 with 95 This seemed a little easier today as well. I need to work on bar placement. It was pinching my delts pretty good by the last set. I'm currently grabbing the bar off the rack at about shoulder level and crossing my arms. Would it benefit me to clean the weight to my chest and do it from that grip at all?

Ego still took a hit today, light weights. I think it's funny I'm using the same weight for military presses and front squats. My upper body is IMO much stronger than my lower.

Not bad for my second try. I don't think :-)

Stay with me though I know these workouts will get exciting in time.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Max Murphy

My thoughts on progression....

I'm planning on staying with the 4 sets of 10 with what ever weight I can handle until after Thanksgiving. I think that gives me some time to get acquainted with the lifts and see if my knees will handle the abuse.

I'm planning on working out 3 days a week. Something like Mon, Wed, Sat
Tues, Thurs, Fri I will try to do some sort of cardio maybe a few yoga classes to help with flexibility. Sunday is rest. Any suggestions?

A little Background

I grew up a fat kid. I graduated High school 6'4 285lbs. I've always been strong and muscular, compared to my friends. I stayed fat and started jogging my freshman year of college. I'd jog 2 miles then drink a 12 pack in the dorm. Moved to a new college with a nice gym my junior year. I decided to lose weight I ate egg whites and canned tuna fish with iceberg lettuce for about 8 months to the tune of about 1200 calories a day. I was playing around in the gym and jogging about 30 miles a week. I lost about 95 lbs in that time. I felt like crap my joints ached constantly. I graduated college @ 190lbs. I had some abs and nice muscle tone but I still felt like crap.

I moved to a new town got an office job. quit working out quit jogging. I was burnt out physically and mentally. That was 2 years ago. I currently weigh 215ish. I've fluctuated between 210-250 since moving. I would low carb and workout sporadically. I've lost a lot of muscle mass since junior year of college. I'm hoping to find something I can do moderately and long term. I don't want to burn out again. I'd really like to see some abs again too...

My diet

I've been Ifing for 5 days a week about 8 weeks now. I'm moving more and more into Paleo choices as well. I did a traditional Keto diet for about 2 weeks them moved into Ifing in that timespan I've lost about 30lbs, down from about 247ish. I've always reacted nicely to low carbs. I imagine I will still eat them sparingly but I'm trying to make myself eat some fruit. (I'm a weekday carbaphobe :-))

My If window is from 7-11pm. I was skeptical at first because the weight was falling off so fast but I haven't lost any strength in the gym maybe even added a little. I also enjoy not watching the clock and trying to eat every 3 hours. I think i could IF Mon-Fri long term. On weekends I usually eat a little junk sometimes a lot of junk but i try to be conservative with portions.

It's still hard for me to believe you could gain muscle IFing but I want to try none the less.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Murphy View Post

Front squats
2x10 with the bar
4x10 with 95 This seemed a little easier today as well. I need to work on bar placement. It was pinching my delts pretty good by the last set. I'm currently grabbing the bar off the rack at about shoulder level and crossing my arms. Would it benefit me to clean the weight to my chest and do it from that grip at all?

Work on bar placement, you can take the bar from the rack using the clean grip. The bar should be on your clavicles pretty much, it will be uncomfortable. It will become more uncomfortable as you go up in weight. Things to keep in mind.

1. Try to keep your elbows up.
2. In the beginning it is very rare for people to be able to grip the bar in their hand in that position. Keeping a few fingers from each hand on it would be where you start from.
3. Keep your chest up and make sure you take a deep breath in your diaphragm before the negative portion and don't let your breathe out until at the top, if needed let the air out slowly. Don't let the air out at the bottom of the rep.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Quote:

I'm planning on staying with the 4 sets of 10 with what ever weight I can handle until after Thanksgiving. I think that gives me some time to get acquainted with the lifts and see if my knees will handle the abuse.

I'm planning on working out 3 days a week. Something like Mon, Wed, Sat
Tues, Thurs, Fri I will try to do some sort of cardio maybe a few yoga classes to help with flexibility. Sunday is rest. Any suggestions?
I'd vary the reps and sets, rather than doing the same 4x10 day in and day out. Perhaps 3 sets of 15, something like that. No problem with using high rep work to condition your body a bit before lowering reps and upping weight.

What are you planning for cardio?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Max Murphy

Saturday I will try the clean grip when I squat. I've done it once or twice already but it was more comfortable holding it the other way. Thanks Allen, for the tips.

I'll vary the rep scheme a little from here out. 3x15 is doable. I've been toying with the idea of working my way up to 10x10 before I up the poundages much. I figured the higher reps would help me shed some flab while strengthening my joints and such. Thoughts?

Cardio... what's that? :-)

Like I mentioned earlier, I enjoy a good jog greatly but I think this is what has caused a lot of my knee pain. October 2005 I ran a 5k in 20:36, I thought that was pretty good. Now I'm looking at maybe getting into some road cycling. Something low(er) impact. Recently I've just been walking on a an incline for 30-45 minutes. Would Met-con be considered cardio? I was introduced to that phrase from this forum, I've been looking into it, intrigued really.

Next week, it gets serious :-)
Old 11-09-2007, 05:01 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Saturday I will try the clean grip when I squat. I've done it once or twice already but it was more comfortable holding it the other way. Thanks Allen, for the tips.
Yes it is more comfortable holding it with your arms crossed but if you really want to venture into O-lifting that is a good place to start.

Quote:
I'll vary the rep scheme a little from here out. 3x15 is doable. I've been toying with the idea of working my way up to 10x10 before I up the poundages much. I figured the higher reps would help me shed some flab while strengthening my joints and such. Thoughts?
I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't think it would be necessary. I just thought for the time being staying in the 10-12-15 rep range for 4-3 sets would be good for the next 2 weeks.

Quote:
Cardio... what's that? :-)

Like I mentioned earlier, I enjoy a good jog greatly but I think this is what has caused a lot of my knee pain. October 2005 I ran a 5k in 20:36, I thought that was pretty good. Now I'm looking at maybe getting into some road cycling. Something low(er) impact. Recently I've just been walking on a an incline for 30-45 minutes. Would Met-con be considered cardio? I was introduced to that phrase from this forum, I've been looking into it, intrigued really.
Since you have knee pain I'd definitely avoid jogging. Does your gym have a rowing machine?

I do consider met-con to be cardio. Try it, let me know what you think.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
Max Murphy

Yes, it has one little row machine in the corner collecting dust. I alternate between using it and walking on an inclined treadmill for my warm ups usually.

I'm kind of confused with metcon. Is metcon the same thing as a crossfit WOD? There are more acronyms out there than I decipher in one setting :-)
Old 11-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #9
Max Murphy

Default IFing

I currently fast for about 20 hours 5 days a week. My window is usually 7-11pm. I feel like the past year or two of bad diet and not working out has caused a lot of muscle loss. Of course I want to lose as much fat as possible but I'd like to put on some muscle in the process. I've been thinking about changing my schedule a bit and adding in a early morning meal, then fasting until around 8 that night.

Something like this.
6:30-7am meal (A traditional breakfast)
7am-8pm fast 13hours (Usually workout 6:30-7:30pm)
8pm-10pm 2nd feeding window
10pm-6:30am fast 8ish hours

Do you think I would still reap any of the benefits of IFing with this schedule?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

Quote:

I'm kind of confused with metcon. Is metcon the same thing as a crossfit WOD? There are more acronyms out there than I decipher in one setting :-)
Metabolic conditioning is the blanket term while the Crossfit WOD is a method. Make any sense?