Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #21
Jay Cohen

Simple metal adjustable stool works for me.
Helps me keep my back arched, feet flat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeskChair2.jpg (8.5 KB, 5 views)
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #22
Joe Ariga

I sit at a computer about 10 hours a day as well. I have do some of the things that you have suggested already, but I have found lots more helpful ideas here. I mostly have pains in my hips and calves from time to time, I think I'll be using some ideas here to keep myself from 'injuring' myself in the long run.

I just want to add one more thing: DRINK LOTS OF WATER!
Joe Ariga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #23
Brad Davis

Resurrecting this thread.

I'm interested in changing my office furniture to a standing workstation. Does anybody have a particular commercially available set in mind? I did some searching online and didn't really care for the choices that I found. I do a combination of typing on a computer, reading, and doing old fashioned manual engineering calculations, probably about equally among the three.
Brad Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #24
Brandon Oto

I sit all day... in an ambulance. Conquering my anterior knee pain basically took the following:

For acute management:

-- Mucho soft tissue work. Foam roll, massage, tennis balls, etc.
-- Stretch all the damned time. Seriously, at LEAST 2+ times a day (morning and evening), preferably whenever you get a chance. I prefer standing stretches so you can bust them out whenever you get a chance without hauling around a yoga mat at work. For my particular trouble this ended up as the grab-the-heel quad stretch, the cross-one-leg-over-and-lean glute/ITB stretch, and periodically the jam-your-feet-into-a-corner calf stretch. Hams wouldn't be a bad idea either. I used to do this during my shift whenever my knees started hurting; just hop out and stretch a little. Give it a legit 30+ seconds on each stretch, each side.

For maintenance (e.g. for me nowadays)

-- EVERY day (I do this in the morning during coffee), stretch and ice. I bang through the quad and hip stretches above, as well as a quick ham stretch on each side, and usually a quick adductor stretch. Then, the bonus money stretch: hip flexors by putting the foot on my chair behind me and lunging (Greg calls this the suicide stretch or something similarly endearing). All can be done while staring at your email. Follow this with icing both knees via ice cup, which can also be done staring at your email.

-- Before training (especially if you just came from work), same stuff minus the icing.

I know some people also like sitting on a Swiss ball rather than a chair. Check out the Brugger relief position as well (http://coxsackiechiropractic.com/lexercise.html). My personal "relief position," while standing, is clasping my hands behind me, arms straight, and pushing them backward until my entire thoracic spine cracks.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #25
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Read this as well.... has stuff that will help:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

I don't particularly know of any good standing workstations. I guess I could ask around or you could just ask your office and say you're having back pain or something and hope they'll replace it for you.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #26
Linda Kardos

I didn't notice it mentioned but I found that a foot rest at the desk helped more than I thought it would ( my feet could not rest on the floor). Also making sure your elbows are are at right angles .

Ergonomic workspace guide

As well as the stretches and squats mentioned I found that relaxing into a deep ATG squat postion from time to time is good.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #27
Allen Yeh

If your glutes have already gone to sleep check out that Glute article by Bret Conteras at T-nation 2-3 months ago, very in depth and with some solid guidelines on how to wake them back up.

I worked a desk job for 10-15 hours/day prior to this and basically move around a lot, don't let yourself sit still for more than 15 minutes, set a timer if needed, all the stretches that Brandon outlined. Lateral lunges, a2g squats, leg swings, ankle mobilization. I keep a tennis ball handy at work so I can roll the bottoms of my feet sometimes. If no one else is in the office I'll roll my calves and glutes as well.

Another good drill I just found recently would be the wall hip flexor mobilization http://ericcressey.com/exercise-of-t...r-mobilization
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #28
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Kardos View Post
I didn't notice it mentioned but I found that a foot rest at the desk helped more than I thought it would ( my feet could not rest on the floor). Also making sure your elbows are are at right angles .

Ergonomic workspace guide

As well as the stretches and squats mentioned I found that relaxing into a deep ATG squat position from time to time is good.
Interesting website, I had heard some of those things like feet on the floor, but I recall somewhere that sitting at 90 degrees all the time isn't great for your back? It was a few years ago. It was in regards to driving on how sitting at 90 degrees put a lot of pressure on the lower back or something like that. Hm....
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #29
Mike ODonnell

Sitting too much kills my lower back....so I try the following:

Stand as much as possible (when you can of course)
Cardio is more longer walking (especially at an incline to help stretch out those posterior muscles)
Throw in yoga poses throughout the day esp this one: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/491

I also used one of those "swiss balls" a while back as a chair when I was in an office environment, seemed to help and I moved around a bit more.....worse case its a great stress buster as you can beat the crap out of it, or throw it at any office worker who is pissing you off....although #2 may not be proper workplace etiquette.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #30
Tyler Micheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
Resurrecting this thread.

I'm interested in changing my office furniture to a standing workstation. Does anybody have a particular commercially available set in mind? I did some searching online and didn't really care for the choices that I found. I do a combination of typing on a computer, reading, and doing old fashioned manual engineering calculations, probably about equally among the three.
The commercial standing desk market is lacking, that's for sure, but these could be suitable for your needs.

http://www.workriteergo.com/products/sierrapin.asp A quick browse through the price catalog and they're running $600 to well over two grand. Neat, but expensive.

http://www.geekdesk.com/ Quite a bit more reasonably priced.

http://www.relaxtheback.com/workstat...tegory-6389774 That's a fancy perforated kick-plate..and unnecessary?..and upwards of $2k.

http://www.standupdesks.com/ For the Ben Franklin in us all.

http://twitpic.com/642vi An IKEA desk with custom legs. Probably the cheapest option (it's IKEA, the desk is maybe $25?..though likely not the strongest or most stable desk around).

About the manual engineering calculations, I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear others still do those. Hell, I'm a child of the digital revolution but I still enjoy a good pencil on paper and often prefer its ease to the confines of a computer. It might be my ADHD, but variability is key for keeping the flow of ideas and productivity fresh. I sometimes hunch over a knee height coffee table for the intense and deep thought transfer. But my best feelings come when using a drafting board. It's angled nature is kind to the eyes and minimizes strain on the neck (not craning over a flat table). I've envisioned my ideal work space as a standing drafting board, large enough to accommodate a good spread of ideas/work, adjustable degree of slope so if required a reference book wouldn't slide off when left untouched, and with maybe another panel/platform on each side for a sizable mug of coffee. Within easy reaching distance there would be an assortment of drawers.

Wow, got a little dreamy there on the digression; from the practical to the abstract as I so often go.

A quick google image search yielded this http://www.greenlightoffice.com/offi...m-oak-top.html. It's close, but doesn't look to accommodate standing.

A thought: Have a local wood craftsman create a desk tailored to you. It might cost more than the $700 geek desk, but I bet it'd be within the range of the others (sub $2000), and maybe it's more economic than that.. I don't know. Regardless, the quality of the wood, labor, and artistry would yield a solid product, unquestionably leading to a quality much greater than that of the particle board constructs so common to modern consumer goods. It'd be an object worthy of passing on to the offspring.....or go the modded-IKEA route and build a desk on a Saturday morning for a twentieth of the cost.
Tyler Micheli is offline   Reply With Quote