Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Ari Kestler

Default Interesting quote

The quote is taken out of context (learning about autism/adhd/drug abuse) but I thought it was pretty relevant to what we think about and discuss here in our efforts to improve our health and longevity...

"genetics loads the gun, but environment pulls the trigger"

I realize this is pretty random, I just thought someone out there might enjoy it.
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Good quote. Totally true.

Well, unless you just have really bad genetics.. like huntingtons. Then you're just screwed.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
Steve Liberati

I like it. Similar quote from an old Native American found in Lights Out, "Change the environment and the environment changes you."

Unforunately most people don't want to hear it. Tell that quote to a parent who has a child with autism and see their reaction. Sure it won't be very well-recieved. But as we know, sometimes the truth hurts and we can only duck it for so long.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
sometimes the truth hurts and we can only duck it for so long.
True understanding can only come after enough pain for one want to see it....unfortunately that's how it usually is.....Last thing people want to hear is anything is their fault...so why not blame something we can not control like genetics. Or doctors who really have no answers on how to help anyone because they were taught just how to treat symptoms not find route causes. Sad. People need to Wake Up! But as we all know after a long night out partying....waking up is not easy!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Derek Simonds

Totally random but totally valid. Like Mike said it is tough for people to deal with the possibility that their actions could have consequences.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
Scott Kustes

Similar to cancer, diabetes, and most other modern diseases. Few people are willing to hear or admit that their own actions caused their situation. Everyone blames their genes, not their body's expression of those genes (genotype vs phenotype).

I heard one guy at work, when discussing stem cells, say "It would be good for diabetics. Not Type 2s like me, we brought it on ourselves. But Type 1s need it." It was refreshing to hear someone own their problems.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Ari Kestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Or doctors who really have no answers on how to help anyone because they were taught just how to treat symptoms not find route causes. Sad.
Speaking from personal experience (I'm currently a 2nd year medical student), doctors do learn to treat both symptoms and causes. There is quite a bit of bashing and hate for the medical community between these boards and crossfit. Yes, there are problems in the medical system and care. No one has all of the solutions, but to think that doctors just blindly prescribe drugs to treat symptoms throwing all caution to the wind about underlying causes is ridiculous.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
Speaking from personal experience (I'm currently a 2nd year medical student), doctors do learn to treat both symptoms and causes. There is quite a bit of bashing and hate for the medical community between these boards and crossfit. Yes, there are problems in the medical system and care. No one has all of the solutions, but to think that doctors just blindly prescribe drugs to treat symptoms throwing all caution to the wind about underlying causes is ridiculous.
No hate...as I know plenty of great doctors who use medications as a last resort and try to get people on a better lifestyle exercise and nutrition program. I feel for doctors as I know they want what is best for people....yet the medical system is more a business and most are overworked and only have a few minutes to treat someone so they just hope to calm the symptoms so the person feels better. Unfortunately I have no universal answer except for people to wake up and take personal responsibility for their own actions....because the general public is just too dependent on going to get some pill for a quick fix which will not in most cases do anything to solve their problem in the first place.

Same can be said for the whole fitness industry (specifically supplements). If a person who is overweight can believe there is a magic fat burning pill...then how the hell do you get them motivated enough to go do exercise and learn about what they should be eating? Instead they keep spending money on pills that do nothing and wonder why they do not look like the celebrity on the bottle as they are shoving cheesecake down their throat while watching 4 hours of TV a night.

Helping people long term to take responsibility is not a money maker....advertising and dishing out a supposed quick fix is a billion dollar industry.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #9
Garrett Smith

Ari,
Most doctors are, at the core, interested in "treating the cause". Med students are at the top of that list. By your presence on this board, you are more interested in it than most.

However, by the failure of conventional medicine to teach MDs even basic nutrition (last I heard, 1 semester was typically offered, and that was usually as an elective) and exercise, they are not going anywhere near treating the cause of diseases today. I will say that even naturopathic schools are underemphasizing diet and don't really understand what proper exercise is.

If you hold onto the philosophy and approach you appear to have by being here all the way through your schooling and residency, you will be one of the rare MDs who is really making a difference, and I applaud that.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
Ari Kestler

Thanks Dr. G. You are absolutely right about the abysmal nutrition education we receive. To the best of my knowledge I've only had a handful of lectures, each one involved me raising my hand questioning the "food pyramid" . Most just ignored my questions, others just said a paleo like diet would have too few carbs and be potentially harmful. I smirked at that one. It's ironic that we don't get that education considering it is the root of most medical problems faced in an industrialized nation, but after coming off a pretty intense semester, I can understand how nutrition easily gets lost among micro, bacterio., viro. path, etc... It's impressive enough that they managed to condense medical school to only 4 years as is...

Both of you are right and as much as we try and help, I think it will ultimately come down to people taking responsibility for their own health. Unfortunately, it isn't a top priority in many people's lives, I find it incredibly ironic. I'm just happy that I woke up one day and decided today would be the day that I get my health in order, I can't understand how more people haven't had this realization. Especially the incredibly smart ones with the necessary resources.