Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Paul Findley

No doubt. I think we should start looking for doctors based on the health and wellness of the doctor. Think of other professions: Would you want a plumber that could not fix his own toilet? I suspect there are not enough to go around, healthy doctors I mean, I don't mean to bash on plumbers.

I just made myself go in for a checkup. Turns out I am 1 year older than my Dr. He was like, "what do you do? Man, I got to start working out", then he started talking about good genetics etc. I spared him the lecture, I wanted to get out of there.
Paul Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Jared Buffie

The problem isn't as much with the MDs as it is with the drug companies. They are the ones that are teaching us (and MDs though CE courses) that health comes from drugs, rather than the truth that health and healing come from within. They also fund the research being done at most med schools, and Ari, I bet they've already bought you lunch more than once or twice.

The underlying reason why people don't take responsibility for their health is when they watch TV and read magazines, they are led to believe they can ignore their health forever and a little pill will bail them out in the long run. People literally think that there is a cure for cancer or heart disease on the horizon, and choose to put their eggs in that basket instead of avoiding those diseases in the fist place.

Ari, you will be in a position to be a beacon to those people. It's a noble cause, and one I've dedicated my life to (as have others on this board).
Jared Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #13
Paul Findley

Yea, I don't mean to be too harsh on my M.D. Fact is, he is people just like the rest of us. I am not sure we can simply blame the drug companies. They are in business to give us what we want, but by no means blameless due to their efforts to modify what we want, Dr and patient alike.

I need to find a divergent doc. Our Ped. is like this, she will write is a script with a discussion like, "See if you can keep the fever down, but if you get worried, then you will be able to quickly fill this".
Paul Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #14
Garrett Smith

Paul,
The funniest thing about a fever is that the body WANTS the temperature higher. Then we go and suppress it and wonder why we have the chronic latent/occult infections, when we could have just let the body burn it off in the first place!

I do know that my efforts to keep myself healthy and fit have now made it relatively easy for me to convert medical patients into exercise clients!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
Jared Buffie

Paul.. try this:

Don't go to an MD for anything for a year - nobody in your family.

You will find that your body relearns how to fend for itself. I have not been to an MD for 10 years (then it was for re constructive shoulder surgery).

My kids (4 and 2) have never been to a pediatrician. Neither one have ever had an ear infection. They've each had diarrhea/vomit once, and they both had roseola.

Imagine that.. kids without vaccines or antibiotics, and they're the healthiest ones we know!
Old 12-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
Garrett Smith

Jared,
Your recommendation may seem pretty far out there to some, however, check this out, from http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/320/7249/1561:

Quote:
Doctors' strike in Israel may be good for health

Judy Siegel-Itzkovich , Jerusalem

Industrial action by doctors in Israel seems to be good for their patients' health. Death rates have dropped considerably in most of the country since physicians in public hospitals implemented a programme of sanctions three months ago, according to a survey of burial societies.

The Israel Medical Association began the action on 9 March to protest against the treasury's proposed imposition of a new four year wage contract for doctors. Since then, hundreds of thousands of visits to outpatient clinics have been cancelled or postponed along with tens of thousands of elective operations. Public hospitals, which provide the vast majority of secondary and tertiary medical care, have kept their emergency rooms, dialysis units, oncology departments, obstetric and neonatal departments, and other vital facilities working normally during the industrial action.

In the absence of official figures, the Jerusalem Post surveyed non-profit making Jewish burial societies, which perform funerals for the vast majority of Israelis, to find out whether the industrial action was affecting deaths in the country.

"The number of funerals we have performed has fallen drastically," said Hananya Shahor, the veteran director of Jerusalem's Kehilat Yerushalayim burial society. "This month, there were only 93 funerals compared with 153 in May 1999, 133 in the same month in 1998, and 139 in May 1997," he said. The society handles 55% of all deaths in the Jerusalem metropolitan area. Last April, there were only 130 deaths compared with 150 or more in previous Aprils. "I can't explain why," said Mr Shahor.

Meir Adler, manager of the Shamgar Funeral Parlour, which buries most other residents of Jerusalem, declared with much more certainty: "There definitely is a connection between the doctors' sanctions and fewer deaths. We saw the same thing in 1983 [when the Israel Medical Association applied sanctions for four and a half months]."
Ouch.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #17
Ari Kestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Buffie View Post
Paul.. try this:

Don't go to an MD for anything for a year - nobody in your family.

You will find that your body relearns how to fend for itself. I have not been to an MD for 10 years (then it was for re constructive shoulder surgery).

My kids (4 and 2) have never been to a pediatrician. Neither one have ever had an ear infection. They've each had diarrhea/vomit once, and they both had roseola.

Imagine that.. kids without vaccines or antibiotics, and they're the healthiest ones we know!

Can't really condone not taking your kids to the pediatrician and getting them vaccinated for all kinds of lovely bugs. I suppose everyone has their braking point. I'll buy into paleo being good, usda food pyramid bad, but the MMR vaccine? Hep vaccines? Tetanus shots? Come on guys... You do not want your kids to get any of these bugs... I understand letting the body fight an infection and I'll be the last one to take medications but this is just stupid...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #18
Mike ODonnell

I have no kids....so of course this is probably not the same as a parent would feel...but I would rather condone people who feed their kids crap and sugar all day long...than a person feeding their kid good food and not getting them vaccines. Which is the greater harm?

PS I haven't seen a doctor since 1989 when I needed a physical for college. (other than a couple ER visits for stitches and concusions). That includes no visits for antibiotics if I am sick and no flu shots. But then again....can't really prove I am doing the right thing until I figure out when I am supposed to kick the bucket...and that I will only know at the last second. But so far....so good. Maybe it's the stress free life of not having someone telling me I am going to die of something that has kept me going this long!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #19
Jared Buffie

like I said, look at the results...

Hep B: I don't think my 2 and 4 year olds will sharing needles and having unprotected sex for a while.

Tetanus: Ask any doc when the last time they saw a case of tetanus

Measles/mumps: completely benign childhood diseases that actually STRENGTHEN the immune system

I think there was another thread that was out there about vaccines... so I won't get into it, except to say that I guarantee you I have done WAY more research on the topic and am 100% positive I did the best thing for my kids. I've heard all the reasons to do it, and still chose not to.

Ari, eat up the dogma... love it.. let it become a part of you. Do without questioning, become the status quo. That way you'll have all the respect and prestige of your peers, which is why (at least in part) that you have chosen the profession you have. Put on that white coat, feel the ego rise, and call someone's ideas stupid, just because they don't conform to what you've bought into. Your arrogance, even as a second year med student, is astonishing. Can't wait to see you after a couple of years in practice.

There is more than one opinion on how go be healthy. I see the medical model, and every day I see the consequences people have brought on themselves by living in it.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #20
Garrett Smith

As far as vaccines and science go, they're not on the same page at all.

There has never, ever, to anyone's knowledge, been a long-term study done comparing disease rates of vaccinated children versus unvaccinated children. Until there is definitive research showing first that vaccines are SAFE (first do no harm), which they are absolutely NOT until all thimerosal (seriously, why is mercury regarded everywhere as toxic except in a needle?) is removed, then proving that they are actually EFFECTIVE (the gold standard studies have NEVER been done), I'll be one of the "stupid" ones that passes on them, for me and my children.

That should say enough from my end. Ari and Jared, let's not go where this is going, or I'm sure Greg will kill the thread. I will add this--every medical student is idealistic and passionate (which can be interpreted as arrogance to some), one has to be to go into the field. Geez, you should see naturopathic students...