Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Jonathan Reik

Default Freak of Training - Adam Archuleta

Has anyone seen this video? It purports to show exercises that Archuleta used in training to increase his power, speed and strength: "displays the workouts that allowed him to build his musculature and increase his speed". The preview shows him doing various non-standard plyometric drills - depth jumps from a platform and landing in a lunge, plyometric full-body pushups, etc. Looks like good stuff, pertinent to those of us with a "power bias" - can anyone recommend it?

http://www.arpprogram.com/resources/...eta_freak.html
Jonathan Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
Coach Rutherford

I can recommend it IF you are super freaky gifted and have an amazing strength base. I've watched the DVD and my jaw hit the ground a few times. Athletes pulling off these kinds of workouts are very rare.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

Jay Schroeder is extremely evasive with his training ideas and programming.

I think it's a selection of the fittest, i.e. those who can do the training thrive. Alas, most of us are somewhat less than that, and have to accomodate accordingly.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
Scott Kustes

Ok, now the 180 degree pushup thing was cool.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

it's an interesting DVD, but it's lacking in terms of practical, applicable info... and like others have said, it selects for some extremely well-developed and highly adaptable athletes. but i think there are some ideas that can certainly be taken away from it. put it on your list, just not at the top.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
Neal Winkler

What should be at the top of the list?
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Default link went dead, but there's some good news

Hey everyone,

I tried showing my brother this clip when we celebrated our turkey day, but it looks like the site is no longer accessible (or wasn't when I tried, at least). This prompted me to do a search for it. I found another video clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzf4sAcRC-k

Better still, it looks like it may be possible to download the entire video for free as part of a 7 day free trial:

https://secure.totalvid.com/subscrip...aIdnt=57223934

There are some other vids on that site (BJJ, Krav, etc.) but I don't know if they're good or not.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Ryan Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Robb Wolf

I interviewed Jay Schroeder over a year ago...asked Rutman, Coach burgner and Dan John for questions...and its un-publishable. He refuses to provide any examples of training or templates. I understand they use some blocks of intensification (high volume+hihg intenstiy) to promote supercompensation...I will dig that intervieew up and post it here...its not up to pub standards but there is some interesting stuff in it.

Robb's Blog

Last edited by Robb Wolf : 11-26-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
Steve Shafley

Yeah.

There were a whole lot of folks who went to see Schroeder speak at some seminar on the east coast (Boston maybe, I read this over at Mike Boyle's forum) and there were some seriously goofy things he said.

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can look them up.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
Steve Shafley

Here's the thread regarding Schroeder:

http://www.michaelboyle.biz/forum/vi...ight=schroeder

Carl Valle says this, which heats up the discussion:

Quote:
When Mark was brought up by myself at the Holy Cross seminar the response was clear that Jay didn't do much since Mark quickly retired soon after. Working with and producing is a different matter. Jay simply screamed at people during the seminar that did not agree with his raw egg(5 dozen eggs at least) and milk diet, that isometric lunges could increase your golf game 30 yards, or that you must bench 4 hours a day.

He might be the greatest strenth coach in the world but for 3 hours he said that iso extremes are all you need - and you can get women to loose 100 pounds in one month from isometric work. All day that was the information he was giving out.

I am not saying that Jay is a fraud but as guy that paid money and drove to the lovely worcester area I was not impressed by the information. Maybe he isn't a presenter and that is ok...but give me something to bring home. I came to learn and was very patient with him when he told stories for an hour at the start. Bobbyt, you can see why people get frustrated.
Carl can be a bit acidic, at times, but he's a straight shooter and a clear thinker.