Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Jamila Bey
Member
 
Jamila Bey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: DC
Posts: 233
Default Great reads?

I just finished "What's in This Stuff: The Hidden Toxins in Everyday Products and What You Can Do About Them." Great book- quite informative but not inflammatory at all.

I'm making a big effort to live simpler and less toxic right now and this is a book with a bunch of suggestions for making the necessary changes and gaining the necessary education to do so.

Anyone else reading some great stuff lately? I'm soon to have a bunch of time on my hands.
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

"Never Be Sick Again" Very good book and easy read....right up the whole toxin and health alley.

Also a book called "Ultra-prevention" was an interesting read by the MDs who are the med directors at the Canyon Ranch. They have a new one out now too, didn't read it...probably will at some time but after a while it's just all the same advice and information.
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Jay Cohen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Pa
Posts: 416
Default

Mom 2 B;

This thread is running over at the CF boards:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=25682

Good stuff
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
sarena kopciel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
"Never Be Sick Again" Very good book and easy read....right up the whole toxin and health alley.

Also a book called "Ultra-prevention" was an interesting read by the MDs who are the med directors at the Canyon Ranch. They have a new one out now too, didn't read it...probably will at some time but after a while it's just all the same advice and information.
I must admit I had met and consulted with the nutritionist who helped coauthor the Ultra Prevention book to help with reducing CHOL and lowering blood glucose. This was 1.5 yrs ago. She recommended the standard eating plan--low fat and high low glycemic carbs which was what I was doing as a vegetarian at the time. WIthin a few months aI had met my CF trainer and e helped convince me to reverse that and start to zone etc. I also at his insistence became a carnivore after 14 yrs!! Slowly paleo crept in and now its IF. Anyway to make a long story short--the nutritionist told me to never do those things at all....I think my bloods prove the point though:

Oct 27, 2006
chol total 168
HDL 54
Chol/HDL ratioo 3.1
LDL
102
Triglycerides 61
HA1C 6.0

Oct 19, 2007
Chol total 156
HDL 63
Chol/HDL ratio 2.5
LDL 85
Triglycerides 41

HA1C 5.9
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
sarena kopciel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 674
Default

I liked this book Play as If your Life Depends on it. Its sorta a paleo approach to fitness!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarena kopciel View Post
I must admit I had met and consulted with the nutritionist who helped coauthor the Ultra Prevention book to help with reducing CHOL and lowering blood glucose. This was 1.5 yrs ago. She recommended the standard eating plan--low fat and high low glycemic carbs which was what I was doing as a vegetarian at the time.
Yeah I havent read it in a while, I am sure they do the "status" quo of nutritionitst, but I did like all the other information about healing and detoxifying the body naturally as a better way to treat illness (rather than mainstream medications). Then again....I never listen to anyone once they say they are a "nutritionist"...as I am pretty sure they will not like my views on how meat and fat are the staple of my diet...and if I could roll a steak in a bar of butter I would probably do so!
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Chris Forbis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarena kopciel View Post
I liked this book Play as If your Life Depends on it. Its sorta a paleo approach to fitness!
I will second this. I just recently read it.

I am currently reading The Geography of Nowhere. It's an indictment of automobile based suburbia in the US. Makes me want to pack up and move to Europe.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.