Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
sarena kopciel

Default Dry and Cracked Skin

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts for me. Now that it is truly wintertime, my fingers keep developing cracks that are pretty uncomfortable on one side of a nails. At a given time, I could have one or two per hand. These are almost like paper cuts in appearance. My hands are also quite dry.

I drink ample water/fluid equally 3-4 lier per day of water and tea with 1-2 c coffee in the morning. I take a high potency Omega 3 as per Dr. G suggestion and eat more than ample fat! I also wear gloves probably 80% of the time as it is cold here in NYC this time of year. I generally use a heavy cream on my hands before leaving the house and before bed.

Additionally, my lips crack and get quite dry as well.

I do not understand why I continue to have these "symptoms" as I am adequately hydrated and amply lubricated. Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
Scott Kustes

Winter wreaks havoc on my hands causing them to get pretty dry. I've started using a few drops of vitamin E oil rather than lotions and it keeps them pretty well moisturized. Mark Sisson has also recommended almond or walnut oil, though I have the vit. E oil on hand, so I'm using it.

The dry lips is probably wind burn. Last weekend I was out all day and it was chilly and windy and for a few days my lips were quite dry. I'm not sure how to counter that short of keeping some Burt's Bees or other lip balm with you. I think Burt's Bees is pretty natural, though I have never looked into it, so could be wrong.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Winter wreaks havoc on my hands causing them to get pretty dry. I've started using a few drops of vitamin E oil rather than lotions and it keeps them pretty well moisturized. Mark Sisson has also recommended almond or walnut oil, though I have the vit. E oil on hand, so I'm using it.

The dry lips is probably wind burn. Last weekend I was out all day and it was chilly and windy and for a few days my lips were quite dry. I'm not sure how to counter that short of keeping some Burt's Bees or other lip balm with you. I think Burt's Bees is pretty natural, though I have never looked into it, so could be wrong.
Thanks, do the lip balm thing already. Will try the oil for hands. The cracks are pretty deep. Wondering if it could be coming from the nail salon as well although it is very clean and I have my own nail implements! And I dont get it on my pedicures, only manis. Well, thought to stop manis anyway since they dont last with the cooking and Olifting!!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Sarena,
Any nightshades creeping into your diet lately? Goji/wolf berries, tobacco smoke, gooseberries? I'm starting to see a pattern of dry lips and hot/dehydrated mouth/throat with them now, especially with spicy peppers.

May want to double-check, although it is probably just the dry winter weather.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Add some coconut oil in the diet....I've noticed that MCTs and Sat fat (mostly butter) tend to help lubricate the skin from the inside out...since alot of it is fat cells.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
sarena kopciel

Ok so thanks all for your responses.
Scotty--got the Vit E today at TJs
Dr. G--nope no nightshades for this madame!!
Mod/Mike--thanks for the coconut oil tip. I know you are fond of it since you recommended a different time too. I tend to minimize its use as I have a gut feeling I may be allergic. I used a tsp tonight to fry an egg after reading this. I will try some sparingly and see if I am affected any.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:45 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Sarena,
If coconut oil won't work for you, you could try palm oil or straight-up butter oil from Green Pastures.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Sarena,
If coconut oil won't work for you, you could try palm oil or straight-up butter oil from Green Pastures.
Thanx Dr G but I dont know, that sounds gross!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
Tom Rawls

Bag Balm will cure what ails you.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Dairy farmers use it on the udders of cows. It's greasy but effective. Apply at night and wear cotton gloves. Your cracks will disappear in a twinkling.
Tom Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
Joe Hart

I used some stuff called cornhuskers oil. It worked GREAT and did not leave my hands feeling greasy. I have had hard time finding it though.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote