Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Edward Friedman
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 45
Default Nuts !

Discuss.
Edward Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Is this just for guys?
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Scott Kustes
Senior Member
 
Scott Kustes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,048
Default

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_(fruit)
__________________
Scott

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia
Senior Member
 
Greg Battaglia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 269
Default

Nuts and seeds can be a part of a healthy Paleo diet and are recommended. They should, however, be consumed in supplemental/moderate amounts for several reasons:

1. Unless you soak your nuts you are going to be ingesting a similar level of anti-nutrients as found in grains. Although cooking reduces anti-nutrient content somewhat, eating roasted nuts and seeds is not much of an improvement. The oils used to roast nuts are typically non-paleo anyway, and therefore unbalanced in n-6/n-3 ratio, weighted heavily toward the n-6 side.

2. Even if you do soak your nuts and remove most of the anti-nutrients your still stuck with a less-than-ideal n-6/n-3 ratio. Most nuts are rather high in n-6 and low in n-3. To top this off, plant-based n-3's are inefficiently converted from ALA to DHA, so you're not getting much of the desired DHA (the beneficial component) from the n-3's in nuts anyway. Walnuts, macadamias, and pecans have the lowest n-6/n-3 ratio, and are therefore preferable over other varieties.

3. Nuts are expensive. Paleo dieters on a budget would benefit from limiting nut consumption and replacing them with other healthy fats like Olive oil, avocados, and eggs (organic of course, their still pretty cheap).

4. When consumed in larger quantities they tend to cause moderate to severe digestive disturbances. This probably goes back to the anti-nutrient issue, but I have found that even after soaking nuts they still cause digestive distress in higher amounts.

Take-home message: Eat nuts moderately regardless of whether you soak them or not. Treat them as a supplemental aspect of the diet to help with variety and flavor. A good rule of thumb is 1 handful/day. My method is to make meat, clean fats, and non-starchy vegetables the base and incorporate nuts and fruit in supplemental quantities.
__________________
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
Edward Friedman
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 45
Default

Thanks Greg. The info you gave is what I had in mind. ( I tend to eat way too many. Hard to limit myself to a handful.)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post
Nuts and seeds can be a part of a healthy Paleo diet and are recommended. They should, however, be consumed in supplemental/moderate amounts for several reasons:

1. Unless you soak your nuts you are going to be ingesting a similar level of anti-nutrients as found in grains. Although cooking reduces anti-nutrient content somewhat, eating roasted nuts and seeds is not much of an improvement. The oils used to roast nuts are typically non-paleo anyway, and therefore unbalanced in n-6/n-3 ratio, weighted heavily toward the n-6 side.

2. Even if you do soak your nuts and remove most of the anti-nutrients your still stuck with a less-than-ideal n-6/n-3 ratio. Most nuts are rather high in n-6 and low in n-3. To top this off, plant-based n-3's are inefficiently converted from ALA to DHA, so you're not getting much of the desired DHA (the beneficial component) from the n-3's in nuts anyway. Walnuts, macadamias, and pecans have the lowest n-6/n-3 ratio, and are therefore preferable over other varieties.

3. Nuts are expensive. Paleo dieters on a budget would benefit from limiting nut consumption and replacing them with other healthy fats like Olive oil, avocados, and eggs (organic of course, their still pretty cheap).

4. When consumed in larger quantities they tend to cause moderate to severe digestive disturbances. This probably goes back to the anti-nutrient issue, but I have found that even after soaking nuts they still cause digestive distress in higher amounts.

Take-home message: Eat nuts moderately regardless of whether you soak them or not. Treat them as a supplemental aspect of the diet to help with variety and flavor. A good rule of thumb is 1 handful/day. My method is to make meat, clean fats, and non-starchy vegetables the base and incorporate nuts and fruit in supplemental quantities.
Edward Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Nuts = High in PUFAs...which are highly unstable...which can lead to excessive oxidative damage to cells and poor cell membrane structure (soft).

Like Greg said...moderation with PUFAs, as most of your dietary fats should be healthy sat and MUFAs...with some added fish oil of course.
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

The longer I've been on Paleo, the less nuts I eat.

I think shelling your own nuts would be super-Paleo-style, burning calories to get calories.

If people are strict Paleo and still aren't feeling like they are digesting well, I have them reduce the amount of nuts in their diet. Some people get into absolutely obscene quantities of nuts on a Paleo plan! Nuts are made not to digest well.
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Greg Battaglia
Senior Member
 
Greg Battaglia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 269
Default

I agree. I've noticed that Paleo diet beginners also tend to over do the fruit as well. Many times their diets are almost exclusively fruit and nuts, with a little meat and hardly any vegetables. They go for the most calorie dense, aggressive tasting foods allowed. It's probably good at first; displacing processed junk with fruit and nuts is definitely a nice step in the right direction, but eventually there needs to be a shift toward more vegetables and meat and relying on fruit and nuts in only supplemental quantities.
__________________
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Patrick Donnelly
Senior Member
 
Patrick Donnelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 720
Default

Wouldn't reducing nut intake for the sake of olive oil, avocados, and organic eggs be reducing the overall variety of the diet? What else it there? We don't really have access to edible animal brains and bone marrow like Paleolithic humans did...
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Jordan Glasser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
The longer I've been on Paleo, the less nuts I eat.
I stopped eating nuts. Way better digestion without them. But it definitely took some time on strict paleo eating to get rid of them as a staple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Wouldn't reducing nut intake for the sake of olive oil, avocados, and organic eggs be reducing the overall variety of the diet? What else it there? We don't really have access to edible animal brains and bone marrow like Paleolithic humans did...
I tend to agree with the concept you are getting at patrick. Although you mention variety, it's micronutrients that are impacted. Case in point for me has been adding hemp protein and shelled hemp seeds to my diet. They replaced the drinking of olive oils, coconut and palm oils (not completely, just in amounts). I've had significant improvements in BF%, body mass, and performance. Which I believe is due to the added vitamins and minerals.

I've been all over the hemp products as of late. With the amount of Zinc and magnesium in them, I swear it's natures' version of ZMA. Short deep sleeps, waking up alert, great recovery, and let's not forget the dreams......
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator