Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 01-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
Eric Kerr

I made my first batch of cultured veggies today per the 2nd beginner recipe in BED. Carrots, cabbage, garlic, etc.,.

My mom wandered in while I was making them and said "Oh, you are making "chow-chow"". I said "What?" Then she described what her mom used to make when she was a kid, which was very similar.

She commented that it was just one of the ways people did things when they didn't have refridgerators (she was born in a log cabin and they didn't get a refridgerator until a move and several years had passed).

Just thought that was a very interesting comment. I mean who among us was not born and raised with the fridge and freezer paradigm (even most of our parents grew up with them)?
Eric Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
Suzanne Buffie

Default fermented veggies

I have tried making my first batch of fermented veggies without salt, after reading Dr. G's post and a bit more about that on BED website. I used a version of the BED beginner recipe with veggies, garlic, herbs .

how would I know if the veggies went bad? I am not sure if what I am smelling is fermented veggies or a bad batch. I am new to this.
thanks for your help.
Suzanne Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

Suzanne,
That's why I suggested to Greg to buy some "professional" store-bought cultured veggies first, to know what they both smell and taste like. It's hard to describe smells, especially cultured smells to unfamiliar folks, over message boards.

I've only had one batch go bad. The smell felt like it *burned* my nostrils.

You can always put your made batch in the fridge, go get some pre-made ones, and then compare. No rush! FYI, the good store-bought ones are really cultured, so you'll definitely learn the proper (strong) smell.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #14
Suzanne Buffie

Thanks, makes sense. I will do that today :-)
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
Suzanne Buffie

So I looked around for fermented veggies and the stores either don't carry them or they contain sea salt. Will good bacteria still grow with salt, or does it completely wipe them out?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #16
Garrett Smith

Suzanne,
The important question to ask is when the sea salt was added.

Before culturing = inhibited bacterial growth (you've never seen or heard of fungus or bacteria growing on sea salt, right?)

After culturing = no problem

You may want to call around, see if you can find some without salt added.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #17
Eric Kerr

I was feeling lucky, so I went ahead and ate my batch of cultured veggies without trying some from a health food store first.

I only had one jar when I started making them, so I cut out at least 1 head of cabbage, so things might be off a lot. The BED beginner recipe makes a lot! Guessing at least 5 Qts. worth.

About halfway through the process we had to put paper towels under the jars since they were leaking a little bit.

Cabbage that I had rolled up and place on top had yellowed a bit.

When I opened the lids, there was a good amount of bubbling (gas escaping).

Smelled like pickles to me (saurkraut?). No funny colors. No burning of the nostrils although, I haven't tried just putting them up to my nostrils and smelling. 1st floor of the house smelled of the CVS after I went up and then came back down.

I generally don't eat things like saurkraut or coleslaw, but I imagine taste and texture-wise the CVs are pretty similiar to those things.

Summary: They taste and smell like pickled vegetables.

I let one jar age for 3 days and another for 7 days.

My wife who typically has a much broader pallet than me likes the 3 days jar best. She said the 7 day jar was too strong for her although her stomach told her that it was good stuff.

Personally I can't tell much of a difference in taste, but the veggies that aged seven days are a bit mushier.

Oh, and watch out for the Ginger if you didn't mince it. Whooo, spicey.
Eric Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #18
Garrett Smith

Eric, good point. Set your jars in a shallow bowl or plate, as they do have a tendency to build a bit of pressure and leak/fizz.

Another good sign of proper fermentation is bubbles down in the veggies.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #19
Suzanne Buffie

I've got bubbles in the jar. It also fizzed & liquid poured out when I opened it, so I think I am good. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #20
sarena kopciel

OK so after reading this I went out and bought some fermented veggies today at the local health food shop. I got the Org Ginger Carrots ad Org Red Cabbage
http://www.realpickles.com/products.html#red
w/f/s
The others all had cayenne, which I dont eat!
Dr. G, do these seem like a good product?

I am gonna sit down now to eat some of each with a roasted turkey drumstick (what a small turkey it was!) and steamed asparagus and cauliflower with some tehina dressing!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote