Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 01-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Dave Paton

Default Superfood by biotest

Does anyone care to comment? Looks like it could be used for the aforementioned veggie supplement. I know most people on this board like all things make-it-yourself, but could be beneficial to someone who doesn't have the skill or time to cook.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1900223
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paton View Post
Does anyone care to comment? Looks like it could be used for the aforementioned veggie supplement. I know most people on this board like all things make-it-yourself, but could be beneficial to someone who doesn't have the skill or time to cook.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1900223
Honestly it is hard for me to want to buy anything from a site geared around providing articles that pimp their own products only to make millions....think EAS and Muscle Media...it all comes from the same compounding distributors....I'll pass....or get the same product cheaper under a different label.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Other than goji/wolf berries being a nightshade, it's not a bad formula.

I tried an herbal tea with goji berry extract in it to see if I reacted or not (I wanted to see if the good outweighed the bad), and I was definitely stiffer and more sore every day after I drank it. I will be avoiding it.

I thought one statement in particular was a bit hypocritical...
Quote:
The Vitamin-Pill Fraud
As such we've always preferred to get our vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and various phytochemicals from fruits and vegetables.
First, the title (bolded) of that section seems ironic coming from a company that makes money hand over fist selling pills.

Next, the last time I checked, Biotest was in the business of selling isolated compounds far from from their whole food origins...can you say Rez-V (resveratrol), ZMA (zinc and magnesium), etc., etc.

And at least they left the artificial and/or heavily processed ingredients out of one of their supplements! From their BCAA label:
Quote:
Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmelose, calcium carbonate, sorbitol, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, maltodextrin, dextrose monohydrate, titanium dioxide, lecithin.
Another step in the right direction was avoiding the cereal grasses and getting lycopene from watermelon and not tomatoes.

Disregarding seaweeds and algaes is a decision that I also wouldn't agree with. Lots of nutrition there.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Allen Yeh

I hadn't gotten a chance to sit down and read all of that until now. It looks interesting and I think it'd be worth adding in if you had the funds. $39.99 for 28 servings and while of course they say it's equal to 10-12 servings of fruits and veggies and think of all that money you'd save....I'd still only add this into a shake as a supplement not as a veggie replacement tool which I think is what some people will end up thinking as they read that.

I like what I've gotten from Biotest so far, Spike, ZMA and Flameout so I'd definitely give it a go.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Chris Rice

I bought a juicer a few years ago - it seems to allow me a lot more veggies (and fruits) in my diet than usual - and surprisingly tastes pretty good. I sometimes use it as the base for other things like protein shakes etc. I've read all the pluses and minuses but it seems to be working for me. Nothing magical and I don't go crazy thinking it will turn my whole life around but a little extra veggie juice should help and it's more natural and cheaper than pills.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Here's what I said on CF forum:

"The problems they specifically say that multis suffer from namely absorption at one time... is the same thing their product would suffer from too. It's too concentrated and it's basically going to be "expensive urine" like they called the multi because the digestive system will just pass most of it.

Heh."

Here's the full thread:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26345
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Scott Kustes

What a sales job! "Get it now cause there's gonna be a shortage!"

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
Tony Ferous

Looks pretty good,i expected to see maltodextrin or fructose as the first ingredient.

However, the ingredients arent listed in order of total weight as far as i can see, you dont want to pay 40 bucks if its made of 50% apple and 40% mango, and 10% interesting, hard to obtain stuff.

BERRIES: wild blueberry (1.5% anthocyanin), orange (40% vitamin C), raspberry (20% allagic acid, 0.7% anthocyanins), strawberry, acai berry (1.5% total phenolic acids, 1% anthocyanins), coffee berry (50% total phenolic acids), goji berry, pomegranate (40% ellagic acid)

VEGETABLES: broccoli sprout (5000 ppm sulforophane), kale, spinach (700 ppm lutein), wasabi (20% glucosinolates), wild yam (20% diosgenin), green tea (95% total polyphenols, 65% total catechins, 40% EGCG)

OTHER FRUITS: apple, mango, passion fruit, watermelon (1000 ppm lycopene)
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Eric Jones

I bought one.

We'll see how it goes.
Eric Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

lower cost alternatives...

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Berrytas...e-Food-Complex

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-42-Fruits-Vegetables