Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Joe Hart

Default CA WOD and gymnastics

So I had queried Greg about gymnastics and the CA WOD and where they would fit in. I think the answer was "skills before the WOD and strength related after.

So the REAL question is: What would be considered skill based gymnastics and what is strength(I know the iron cross is strength)? For me it is all skill and strength together, because I suck at gymnastics, but if you had to seperate them what would it be? I did search the forum and it seems a little sparse.

Thanks in advance.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Name some stuff and we'll tell you...

Basically neurological moves are gonna be skill while strength moves are strength. Some skill moves will be too hard for you strength (or flexibility) wise at first like pike press handstand but that needs to be addressed individually.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Brian Baggetta

Not to unnecessarily dredge up a really old thread, but this seems to be the closest thing on the board to a topic I've been thinking about lately -- namely, how to incorporate (simple) gymnastics with CA WODs.

Specifically, I am thinking about starting the Strength Cycle from last December, but would like to continue working to improve my muscle-ups (current 30 m/u time is a hardly-respectable 8:10) and work toward a free-standing HSPU (currently not even close).

My plan right now is to slightly modify the CA WODs by replacing the metcons with track work (I'm also trying to get back into track -- 100m and pole vault, if it matters), and am wondering if there would be one way better than another to get the basic gymnastic stuff in. I plan to do the CA WOD lifting in the mornings MTWFS and sprint/track work in the evenings MWS, with T and TH off.

Any thoughts appreciated. . .
Brian Baggetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Track work might detract from your Oly owrk...

But I don't see any problem with adding any gymnastics stuff honestly.

If you have the conditioning level to handle the volume go for it. If you try it and start failing out then stuff may need to be modified.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Brian Baggetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Track work might detract from your Oly owrk...

But I don't see any problem with adding any gymnastics stuff honestly.

If you have the conditioning level to handle the volume go for it. If you try it and start failing out then stuff may need to be modified.
Thanks -- any thoughts on appropriate timing or volume? I like to try to work handstands before lifting, but muscleups and HSPUs are not really "skill" work for me; more strength -- should I just add those as a finisher? Maybe on days before rest days (ie W, Sa)?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Handstands you can probably do everyday some work.

MUs and HSPUs you should work as strength work... e.g. before metcons or spaced out with your Oly/sprint work or whatever. Grouped together is fine if you really need to.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Brian Baggetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Handstands you can probably do everyday some work.

MUs and HSPUs you should work as strength work... e.g. before metcons or spaced out with your Oly/sprint work or whatever. Grouped together is fine if you really need to.
Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

You could check my log towards the beginning, that's what I was doing when I first started it.

I think separating the two workouts (OL/metcon and gymnastics) works best. Metcon with a lot of BW exercises also really detracts from the strength training in gymnastics, IMO. For example, doing a metcon with a large amount of rapidly done pushups will really suck the life out of your planche progressions for a while (at the same time not really helping your planche).

Sacrifices must be made. My current log includes separate days of PL, OL, GS KB, and gymnastics strength training days, FWIW.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Brian Baggetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
You could check my log towards the beginning, that's what I was doing when I first started it.

I think separating the two workouts (OL/metcon and gymnastics) works best. Metcon with a lot of BW exercises also really detracts from the strength training in gymnastics, IMO. For example, doing a metcon with a large amount of rapidly done pushups will really suck the life out of your planche progressions for a while (at the same time not really helping your planche).

Sacrifices must be made. My current log includes separate days of PL, OL, GS KB, and gymnastics strength training days, FWIW.
Thanks Garrett -- I'll definitely check your log out. I'm hoping to avoid metcon sucking the life out of anything by skipping it entirely, and only doing sprints in a separate session from lifting.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

Sounds good. I personally have some goals to reach in the sprinting (100/400m) department, but my plan is to reach my goals in the lifting department before I take those on.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote