Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Special Populations

Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Nikki Young

Default 5 questions

I seem to have way too many questions these days.. i appreciate all the help this forum provides!

1. If someone has too much copper in their blood, what are the chances that they have Wilsonís disease?

2. If a girl has been taking the pill for years and have continued to have regular periods as by the days tablet. If they start increasing their exercise slightly then start to have their periods earlier than should be by the tablet days, does this mean the pill isnít working?

3. Why do people get random heart palpitations? Is it a deficiency in magnesium or potassium, or poor blood circulation?

4. (Another thyroid Qín sorry..). In listening to some of Jorge Flechas audios, he mentions that things Ďfibrosisí are linked to iodine deficiency, does this include cystic fibrosis? And if so, would taking iodine help cure them of it? Iíve googled this and come up with some info, but nothing printed in stone about the linkage.

5. On a nutritional front, if someone has a super nasty cough (not so much mucous like), has been on antibiotics and still not cured and doesnít consume dairy, is there any specific foods that could help treat it?

Thanks!
Nikki Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Young View Post
5. On a nutritional front, if someone has a super nasty cough (not so much mucous like), has been on antibiotics and still not cured and doesnít consume dairy, is there any specific foods that could help treat it?
I always like the ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) for sore throats and coughs. When I feel something coming on I gargle/sip some hot water, 1-2 tbsp ACV and some Cayenne Pepper. Not easy but works for me. Could also add in some lemon and/or honey to soothe the throat.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Nikki Young

Thanks Mike!

Any other thoughts??
Old 11-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Young View Post
Thanks Mike!

Any other thoughts??
from me? Nah...not that smart...I think the palpatation thing may be more just genetics as everyone is different...organic K or Mg deficiency is probably always an issue to some degree in people due to modern diets.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Nikki:

1. The amount of copper in the blood is not how Wilson's disease is diagnosed, kind of like how high inflammatory blood markers aren't how arthritis is diagnosed. Wilson's disease is diagnosed by:

From NDDIC

Quote:
Symptoms usually appear between the ages of 6 and 20 years, but can begin as late as age 40. The most characteristic sign is the Kayser-Fleischer ring—a rusty brown ring around the cornea of the eye that can be seen only through an eye exam. Other signs depend on whether the damage occurs in the liver, blood, central nervous system, urinary system, or musculoskeletal system. Many signs can be detected only by a doctor, like swelling of the liver and spleen; fluid buildup in the lining of the abdomen; anemia; low platelet and white blood cell count in the blood; high levels of amino acids, protein, uric acid, and carbohydrates in urine; and softening of the bones. Some symptoms are more obvious, like jaundice, which appears as yellowing of the eyes and skin; vomiting blood; speech and language problems; tremors in the arms and hands; and rigid muscles.
So, we would seem to obviously have liver issues at the core of this set of problems (as the major issue is the body not putting copper into the bile so it can be excreted, thus it accumulates in the blood, as is noted in the article). Also, copper has an intimate balance with zinc, as even modern medicine notes in the same article:

Quote:
The disease is treated with lifelong use of D-penicillamine or trientine hydrochloride, drugs that help remove copper from tissue, or zinc acetate, which stops the intestines from absorbing copper and promotes copper excretion. Patients will also need to take vitamin B6 and follow a low-copper diet, which means avoiding mushrooms, nuts, chocolate, dried fruit, liver, and shellfish.
So, the chance of this person with high blood copper levels having or developing Wilson's disease are increased, I'd say that. Does it mean they have it? No, it could have been a temporary thing. I'd suggest having this person look into diet and supplements to correct their liver function and their copper/zinc balance.

5. When I see a chronic cough these days that isn't responding to diet and "germ-killing", I start looking into acid reflux. The acid irritates the throat, causing a chronic cough. Raw ACV taken before a meal can help the stomach to produce more stomach acid, which can help clear up the cough once the vocal cords have had enough time to heal the irritation. Or one can use betaine HCl to increase the acidity of the stomach. That's one route.

I'll get to the other ones later, I just wanted to do a couple now, so the thread would pop up in my New Posts again.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Nikki Young

Thanks Garrett! The acid reflux and chronic cough is very interesting! I have a client who has had this nasty cough for ages, he even got his blood work done the other week because the doctors couldn't work out what was wrong (after antiobiotics and other drugs not helping), i passed on the info, would be interesting to see if something as simple as some ACV does the trick!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

2. It means that the exercise is significantly changing her hormonal rhythms. As to what to do, I can't say.

3. Mineral deficiencies and/or imbalances, stress, not "following their heart", mental/spiritual reasons, could be any/all/more than the above.

4. I don't know. Have you looked up "iodine cystic fibrosis" on Pubmed?
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
Nikki Young

Thanks Garrett, i have done a few searches on pubmed, haven't come up with anything concrete though, will do more searches though and read some more on pubmed.