Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 02-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #21
John Alston

Thanks, G. I remember not liking it, but at 2 bucks a quart, I'll try it out, especially if I can find the full fat real-deal.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #22
Garrett Smith

A little stevia (or other sweetener of choice) and some cocoa powder can go a long way in dressing it up.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #23
Steve Liberati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
John,
Maybe kefir will fit the bill you're looking for.

The culturing makes it produces less phlegm, it also reduces the sugars somewhat. It's basically thin yogurt with more health benefits.

It has even become available at Trader Joe's recently, even if it is at 1% milkfat (not whole). A quart goes for $2-something, if I remember correctly. Organic whole milk kefir is available under the Lifeway brand, places like Whole Foods carry that brand for sure.

There's a start, maybe it will help.
Dr. G,
Is a culture starter absolutely necessary to make kefir from raw milk?
Recently scored a source for raw milk and anxious to try making a batch of homemade kefir myself. Can it be done without the starter kit?
Thanks,
Steve

PS Not all mucus is bad and toxic. Good mucus coats and protects the interior lining of the digestive tract and is an essential part of a healthy inner ecosystem. Which by the way I learned from reading the Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates. If you didn't read this one or you do not subscribe to her free newsletter you are greatly missing out.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
Garrett Smith

Steve,
I completely agree, some mucus is necessary. Not being able to breathe or constantly hacking up is a sign that there is too much.

No, culture starter is not necessary for making kefir from raw milk. Put the raw milk into a *clean* glass jar, seal the lid on tight, and put it into a dark closet, preferably around 68 degrees. Then wait. Depending on your tastes and the temperature of the closet, you might be waiting anywhere from 12-36 hours. Obviously, higher temps need less time to culture as it happens faster.

Using a clear glass container is helpful, as some quick swirls of the kefir-in-the-making will show you how much culturing/thickening is taking place. It's a lot better than having to open the jar to check and adding more oxygen to the mix.

This is the same method I told Kelly Moore about, I don't know if she is using it or not.

Once you're used to kefir and/or typical "cultured" smells, you'll know right off if the batch is good. I've personally never had a batch go bad.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #25
Steve Liberati

Thanks Dr. G! Always most helpful.

The raw milk produced enough flem the day after to keep it dairy on my list of foods to avoid (although I'm also fighting the flu right now which could also be partially to blame). Hopefully the kefir does my body good.

Now I just have to keep telling myself I'm not drinking bad milk (or else this might be an experiment gone awfully bad). Fingers crossed lol.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Old 02-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #26
Jane Michel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I recently decided to cut coffee out of my diet because for a while I was doing the whole coffee + non whipped heavy cream as per Lights Out. I'm think I'm not quite lactose intolerant but I am lactose sensitive. Butter, whey, and a little cheese is usually ok, but heavy cream, ice cream, milk makes me really gassy (when I'm awake and asleep so my wife says).

As a side note I'm Chinese and only recently read some stuff claiming that Asian's are typically lactose intolerant/sensitive and that is when I decided to cut the coffee + cream out to do my own little experiment. (I can't stand coffee black). It's been about 2 months now and keep an eye on what dairy I put in me.
Hey Allen I read that too! However I think I'm lactose tolerant and lactose insensitive... maybe because mom gave us lots of milk since young. Now I take dairy products only 1-3 times a month only because of the Paleo Diet. If there was raw milk in my area I'd consider adding it back though!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #27
sarena kopciel

I just found a source for raw goats milk by order only. Ordered 1 quart and 1 of their raw goat yogurt. gonna try to make my own yogurt from it when I get it!! Will see. If it works out, I will bring ya Steve next time I see ya!
Hope you feeling better Steve! Those boys need you
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #28
Steve Liberati

Thanks Sarena for your thoughtfulness. Yeah, I honestly can't tell you the last time I was sick...but blame myself for beating my body up this past weekend in Vegas. Good thing is that it took me only a day or two to fight it off (still not 100% myself though). Just trying to take it easy this week, drink lots of fluids and help my body get back to normal.

By the way, just wanted to let you know that the Whole Foods in Moorestown also sells raw goats milk (and they sell GT Synergy Kombucha for only $3.00 a bottle!). I haven't bought it there myself but a friend who lives out there told me about it. If you can find it local though, that is the way to go.

Steve

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Old 02-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #29
John Alston

Man, can't find any Kefir that isn't both low fat (crap!) and high sugar (wtf?). Just started but will keep looking.
You know, it's sad, with the Atkins/low carb craze, all it seemed to lead to was lots of shitty snack bars being available, but lowering the sugar in yogurt products? No progress.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #30
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Man, can't find any Kefir that isn't both low fat (crap!) and high sugar (wtf?). Just started but will keep looking.
You know, it's sad, with the Atkins/low carb craze, all it seemed to lead to was lots of shitty snack bars being available, but lowering the sugar in yogurt products? No progress.
Check out the link on mt baker crossfit about yogurt and sugar!
http://mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com/...soning-of.html
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote