Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 02-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Default Paleo and hemorrhoids

Ok, not exactly the most tasteful post, but here it goes. I have hemorrhoids, I've know that for years. They really don't bother me at all except for the fact that recently I've began to notice dripping blood in my stool. There is no blood actually in the stool, but bright red blood drips out during a BM. I also noticed that my stool is well-formed when it first comes out but then breaks up like diarrhea as it sits in the bowl. I used to get blood in my stools occasionally in the past, but now it's almost every time, and the blood just drips out like a drippy fosset and appears on the TP when wiping. It's bright red and completely fresh blood, so I'm not too worried about upper GI problems. I'm guessing it's either an anal fissure or an internal hemorrhoid. Anyway, in the past few months I have incorporated more raw vegetables into my diet and have made an effort to reduce nut consumption. I notice when I do add in nuts there is more bleeding, but this also occurs with an increase in raw veggies. Occasionally I'll get a bit of a sharp pain in my lower GI tract with passing a BM, but most of the time things flow easily.

Sorry to gross anyone out, but does anyone know how I can eliminate this completely or atleast stop the bleeding? Any ideas of the primary cause?

I take probiotics daily, 3-4 grams of fish oil, B-complex, and 800mg of magnesium citrate (which has only loosened my stools). I also put a touch of turmeric and ginger in my morning tea. I'm thinking the blood thinning effects of the FO combined with turmeric and ginger might be increasing the susceptibility of my roids to bleed? Anyway, thanks in advance.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Greg, same problem and coincidentally our eating patterns and supplement intake is oddly alike. The one thing I noticed is this when I cut back on my fat intake (and closely monitor the amount of fat I ingest), the problem drastically diminishes. As soon as I go 3x 4x times fat, the problem mounts (and as you can probably attest, the condition can be quite a nuisance at times...especially around others in public).
I've also found Preparation H to work very well, at least short-term. Try cutting back on the fat a little and see what happens though. AS you already know rotating/removing/reintrouducing foods is the best approach at this point to see what may be causing it.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Greg,
First thing, you have to stop using Paleo toilet paper, aka tree bark. It's a bit scratchy. Har har.

On to more serious topics. Do you have any of these signs of liver congestion?

Quote:
Signs and symptoms.
There are many signs or symptoms that indicate the liver or
gallbladder are congested. Insomnia and waking between 1 and 3
a.m., or sleeping all night and waking up feeling that you
haven't slept at all along with weakness, sluggishness and
tiredness. When there is no bile in the stomach there can be
nervousness and migraine headaches and digestion is seriously
impaired.

Emotional upsets such as sudden anger and depression
are sure signs. No bile can also cause gas in the stomach
producing pain around the heart and sternum area and water may
develop around the heart and in the lungs. Visual problems may
develop, neck and shoulder pain, low back pain or pain in the
joints especially the knees, weakness and pain in upper front leg
muscles and calves, pain in the arms and top of the right hand.
There is likely to be dry or oily skin, itchy ears, muscle pain
after working, heartburn, diarrhoea, constipation, frequent
urination, pain between the shoulder blades, colitis, ulcers,
hiatus hernia and digestive problems, (especially after eating),
too much sleep, nausea, vomiting, certain foods repeating, (such
as radish, green peppers, cucumber and onions), pain in the right
side radiating to the back, colic, mental problems, pain in the
liver or gallbladder area, headaches and a bitter taste in the
mouth.

External signs.
Reddish blue colouring under the eyes and over the forehead and
other areas of the body. Two vertical lines between the eyebrows,
yellow eyes or skin, a red nose etc. Other problems caused
directly by liver congestion are spastic colon, worms,
infections, chills, anal itching, anaemia, diabetes, obesity,
underweight, appendicitis and heart palpitations. Liver
congestion can also lead to ear problems, swollen legs (edema),
skin diseases, rheumatism, arthritis, glandular imbalances,
menstrual problems, nervous disorders, muscle weakness,
bronchitis, sclerosis, T.B., cancer, sterility, impotence,
thyroid conditions, etc. etc.
If you'd rather say yes to any of the above over PM to me, go for it. Being as you are relatively healthy (at least it appears so), the minor signs above are the ones I'm most interested in.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Steve,
good thoughts. Now that I think about it my fat intake has been quite high, Lots of olive oil and grass-fed butter. Not to mention the fat I'm getting from the meat I eat (fatty grass-fed varieties have increased, as I've been cutting out conventional meats of all kinds lately). I also notice that some (half, I guess) of the chunks in my stool float on the top as the rest sinks. I'll cut back and see what's up.

Garret,
Some of those symptoms are there (pain between shoulder blades, nausea after eating/upon waking, mood swings (this is a big one)) however, most of those symptoms don't sound familiar for my body. Plus, my mom is a lab tech and takes my blood quite regularly. My liver enzymes are fine, but ALT is sometimes mildly elevated. I'll have her take my blood the next time she has work (next Tuesday I believe) and I'll let you know how it goes. In the mean time I'll try to cut the fat a bit.

Thanks guys.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Old 02-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Greg,
If a person who is doing as many things for your health as you are is having any high liver enzymes, something is up with the liver. That's what you'll want to address for the hemorrhoids long-term.

I go by black-box symptoms over lab tests, and you've got them (plus showing tendencies in labs). That would be all I would need.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Greg Battaglia

It gotcha, but what would cause liver congestion? Maybe I need to supplement with some ox-bile to help metabolize all this fat I'm consuming? I initially attributed the pain between shoulder blades to my shoulder injuries. I think the nausea might have something to do with digestion, hence the ox-bile thought. When I first went low-carb a long time ago these symptoms were quite pronounced at first, but eventually dialed down as I became fat adapted and remained at this low level up until now. Some of the symptoms I blamed on my MVP, but it seems as though you could be onto something. When I exercise a lot the symptoms dwindle, so I'm not sure if it's merely a side effect of my recent sedentary tendencies due to my injuries.

The ironic thing is that today I had no blood in my stool, lol. Murphy's Law I guess, but I don't expect it to be gone for good.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Matt Lawson

Hey,

I thought i would give my 2 cents here. I have had the same problem but i have attributed it to Crohn's disease. I do not form stool at all, and have not sense my first bowel re segment (had my ilium removed) in 2001. Occasionally i have a good grumper but more often than not it sounds like im drowning Donald Duck in the bowl. I, like you, have had the blood dripping issue. Maybe this is exclusive to patients that have Crohn's but if you tell the doc that they are gonna do some exploring. prepare yourself.

One thing that has helped me in the past has been to double check my fiber intake. If i am upping my fat i tend to get full and not down as much fiber.

Another idea: aloe enriched TP by cottonell. Its an o-ring saver. Also, the wet wipes are a definite go.

I would listen to the doc when it comes to the liver. One of the meds i am on, and have been on for years, is Emuran (SP?). Apparently it can upset the liver. They check my blood all the time. Listening to the right doc can really help. I haven't in the past and i have the scars to prove it.

-matt
Matt Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Greg,
I second Matt's endorsement of wet wipes. I have them at home and at the office, I do not like being without them.

A family member of mine (definitely not Paleo, and doesn't eat healthy and imbibes a bit too often) has the hemorrhoid issue. When it gets bad, again, I tell him to lower his alcohol consumption and take more of my personal favorite liver supplement, a combination of curcumin, Siliphos (silybin from milk thistle bound to phosphatidylcholine), and OPCs from grapeseed extract. That combo gives him relief, if not remission, every single time.

Now, I know you aren't drinking a whole lot. You may be having more fat than your liver (and associated bile production) can handle. You may also have a food allergy to something you are consuming often that is showing up mainly as liver "stress". Note I'm not talking skin-prick test allergies--we don't eat with our skin, last time I checked. I'm talking a blood test for food allergies, done through one of several specific companies that specialize in this process.

Considering what I'd guess I know about your lifestyle, I'd say your issue boils down to one of three (these are likely occuring in combination) areas:
1 - Known or unknown sources of toxicity getting into your system
2 - Excessive stress (this can include exercise stress) that is not being managed properly, if at all
3 - Food allergies

If you want to explore any of these options, and/or do a test that actually tests your liver's ability to detoxify different compounds, which would give us potential insight as to what type of toxicity may be occuring, your body's current ability to handle it, and possible supplementation to assist any/all of those sluggish pathways, PM me.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
Greg Battaglia

I'm thinking it may be a food allergy. Every time I eat nuts (particularly cashews) I get the bleeding plus other symptoms. Plus cashews tend to exasperate my MVP as well. I'm going to completely cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. If it goes unresolved I'll PM you for those tests.

Thanks again for all the helpful information.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Greg, that's a great place to start.